Roehl Transport Reviews

Updated Apr 29, 2021

3.5
Roehl Transport CEO Rick Roehl
Rick Roehl
Pros
  • "Run hard and enjoy the fast track to pay as a new driver(in 33 reviews)

• "Can change fleets or fleet managers if your unhappy(in 19 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Needs better pay and quicker dispatch(in 25 reviews)

• "Some Fleet managers can ruin your experience here(in 20 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great

Apr 5, 2021 - Fleet Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Environment & the Team is great

Cons

pay can always be better

Roehl Transport Response

Thanks so much for the 5-star rating! We appreciate it!

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Decent Equipment, but too much micromanagement and dishonest at times

Feb 6, 2021 - OTR Truck Driver in Marshfield, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Equipment Great Orientation Great Training Excellent Terminals and facilities Nice Driver App

Cons

The pay isn't the best They micromanage way too much, and it makes you feel like they don't respect you as a person. They have very high standards, which I appreciate, but a lot of the micromanagement is pointless and counter productive. You know the words I never heard from my FM? What do you think? I was never asked my opinion on anything, even though I was the one out there seeing things first hand. The amount of mistakes that happened with my pay may have been simple incompetence, but when it happens that often, you have to start wondering. Thankfully I caught most of them in time to be addressed and was able to get it sorted, but it is inexcusable to short someone that much, that many times, IMHO. The techs are extremely rude and some are very unprofessional. The cameras are creepy. The lights across them light up when they are recording, and they have recorded me multiple times when no event should have triggered the camera, including when I was mostly naked in my sleeper berth with the front curtains pulled. That creeped me out so much that I started covering it up when I was in the sleeper berth. When I asked someone in the office about it once, I was assured that it couldn't have happened. BS. Sorry, but I don't believe it. I literally saw it. That just isn't right.

1 person found this review helpful

Roehl Transport Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We value your input.

3. 4.0

Great place to start

Apr 28, 2021 - Class A CDL Professional Driver in Richmond, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

They will hire you, train you will being paid, to get your cdl. Newer equipment is always nice. Home time is also good.

Cons

Doesn't pay as well as other companies.

4. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Worst company I ever worked for

Feb 24, 2021 - Driver in Gary, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

None I can think of

Cons

Worst Company I ever worked for. Constantly screwing you out of money and wasting your time with there incompetent so called managers. STAY AWAY So why is it that all 12 gycdl graduates had to go recover trucks all over the country if your drivers are so well paid and treated, btw many of the drivers left. If your telling me that you are unaware of this on just one of the thousands of classes, you maybe part of the problem. Seems like the last thing they did was to steal more money from me which is one of the few things there good at. Why don’t you go back and look at all the conversations on your PC with driver Crof and tell me how many people got fired because of all the abuse and mismanagement and how many sorry there are. I’ll tell you NO one got fired. Which btw I have screen shots of it all so every claim I make can be proven. I am tired of talking and it falling on deaf ears. So don’t come on hear like this some big surprise. I could go on and I will every chance I get on every site because your company deserves it for mistreatment of your drivers by your staff.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Rough Start but good overall

Feb 28, 2021 - Class A Truck Driver in Marshfield, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

While working here I did have very good fleet managers that were attentive to my needs as a driver. Being able to be paid weekly. There is a good amount of company terminals and drop yards in the midwest that make this job easier.

Cons

While working there I had multiple miscommunications between the overnight dispatch and my regular fleet managers that resulted in cancelled or rescheduled loads. I would also have times where I wait for hours until the planners have another load available. There were multiple times during my employment where there was low freight and not enough loads for the week. If you are a company driver there is forced dispatch and you have to have a good reason to try to decline the load.

Roehl Transport Response

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We're sorry to hear of the issues you describe here, and we appreciate your feedback on areas of improvement.

6. 2.0

Inconsistency in trainer quality

Feb 20, 2021 - Inexperienced Student Driver in Gary, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

• Roehl is generally a good company, emphasize on safe driving and many employees said good things about the company. • Orientation was fine, learned the overview of the company.

Cons

• If you don't already have some skill with backing accuracy from driving school in difficult maneuver settings, you may want to think twice before coming to Roehl and signing the contract that put yourself at risk for the $3600+ training cost obligation you need to payback to Roehl if leaving anytime before completing 40,000 miles driving for them. You could end up with no job and debts if things didn't work out. • Inconsistency in phase two trainer quality and trainer professionalism. • Busy fleet manager lack of communication. • no 401K matching. • Profit sharing has 5 years vested time. Meaning the profit sharing bonus is not 100% yours until you served 5 years in the company. • training fee payback obligation if didn't finish the contract 120,000 miles ($7000+) or 40,000 ($3000+) miles

Roehl Transport Response

Hello. Reading between the lines here because I do not know your personal situation with Roehl. First, it sounds like you came from a truck driving school. Generally speaking, a truck driving school prepares someone to test for their CDL, not necessarily to be a successful truck driver. One of the reasons we have our Safety and Jobs Skills Training Program for recent CDL school graduates is the skillset drivers have when they come to Roehl is so varied, so we provide the paid, on-the job training to help them be successful actually doing the work of a professional truck driver. Second, when people have more than one trainer, it often means that we are trying multiple people to further help the new driver. It’s important to note that our training program isn’t a team operation or a way to generate extra revenue from a truck like so many others do; no, our program is designed to take our 60 years of experience (more than half of them training new drivers) and give people the skills to be successful. That’s why we also have dedicated Fleet Training Managers who work specifically with new drivers. And yes, we have an agreement because we invest in our people! Our training has value, and that’s why so many people seek us out, and that’s why Roehl drivers are leaders in terms of pay, productivity and safety. There’s a lot more I could say (like about how a 401k match is almost always less than our profit sharing, which we’ve made every year since the plan started in 1980, how we introduce programs like address-to-address mileage pay, etc.), but the main thing I hope you got from your time with us is how to use the Safe 7. I wish you well, and hope you’ll hold safety as a value and drive the Roehl Way to protect others.

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great Job!!

Mar 4, 2021 - Driver/Orientation Instructor/FM in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Roehl has the best training in the industry. Great job opportunities. I started as a driver for Roehl and ended up working my way up to a Fleet manager position. Roehl does care about there drivers. Most people that have negative things to say on here didn't take the time to research what being a truck driver is all about and/or could not cumite to Roehl values. Roehl was probably the best place I have ever worked.

Cons

Being a driver takes away from family life. Make sure you know what your getting into. Have a good foundation at home for when your not their.

Roehl Transport Response

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We truly appreciate you sharing your experience with TeamRoehl!

8. 2.0

Not what I expected

Mar 31, 2021 - Truck Driver in Gary, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Training was good theybreally work with you if you are struggling in certain aspects They will give you a trainer possibly 1 on 1 if you really need help with shifting, backing etc

Cons

Fleet managers need to be more intune with the people that they are working with.

1 person found this review helpful

Roehl Transport Response

Hello. I’m sorry your experience didn’t match what you were expecting. We have a series of videos that describe the “keys to success” and our program really is designed to help new drivers be successful – because when invest so much in our teammates, we really want you to be thrive! When you were going through our Get Your CDL Program, you had the very best training in trucking, and you got paid while you were learning. After you started doing the job, you had a Fleet Training Manager – their jobs are specifically created to work with new-to-driving teammates to help them succeed. Once you had your own Fleet Manager, her or she would have been very willing to work with you to continue to develop your skills. As you noted, your training was really good, and I hope you’ll use that to Drive the Roehl Way.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Culture and Values

Feb 11, 2021 - Driver Employment Specialist in Marshfield, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very family oriented. I've been with Roehl several years and they have always helped me out and been understanding when it comes to family situations. If you're willing to also put in the work why wouldn't they be willing to help if they can. With everything that has happened in the past year with the pandemic they have been accomidating and taking necessary precautionar measures to keep everyone safe as well. Safety is a cornerstone value at Roehl.

Cons

Can be stressfull at times when trying to meet weekly goals for hires but we have such a high demand in frieght we need to fill trucks with safe drivers. The company depends on us to fill those spots.

Roehl Transport Response

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with us and the community. It's a pleasure having you on TeamRoehl!

10. 3.0

Nice starter company

Apr 29, 2021 - Flatbed Driver in Auckland, Auckland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good starting pay for new drivers

Cons

Lack of communication between fleet managers.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 344 Reviews