Roehl Transport Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Roehl Transport CEO Rick Roehl
Rick Roehl

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I had the opportunity to join Roehl Transport 11 years ago as a Fleet Manager" (in 16 reviews)

• "Roehl Transports home time fleets are great for drivers who need to be home more" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some fleet managers are good, but others are just complete imbeciles" (in 15 reviews)

• "Time away from home is biggest draw back" (in 5 reviews)

"Great training"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Gary, IN
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Gary, IN

I worked at Roehl Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Roehl’s training is among the best. You get paid while you’re trained in their get your CDL program. The instructors actually care about your progress and will bend over backwards to help you. It is a very fast program so you have to be a fast learner. You’re on the hook for $7k so you need to be sure you can do the job for over a year. I was a van national driver for 15 months and was very happy with my miles and paychecks. If you show your fleet manager you are reliable and manage your time you will get the good loads. I was home very consistently on day 12 or 13 and always got 3 days off. It was so consistent I could plan events around when I would get home without even checking with my fleet manager. ( although you should let them know if you have something important you need to be home for)

Cons

The starting pay is decent but it caps out fairly low. It’s a good company for starting but may not be for the long run. The equipment is well taken care of but you’ll get the base model tractor without many features. No refrigerators, no standard inverter. If you want an inverter installed you have to pay for one of theirs and it will only run for 2 hours until it is off for 10.

Advice to Management

You are paying people to live one the road. They want comfortable equipment with nice features. Drivers will stay longer if they are paid well!

May 16, 2018 – Marketing & Communications Manager

Thank you for the feedback.

"Look for a better company"

I worked at Roehl Transport full-time

Pros

GYCDL program was good, but it was done through a third party - so can't even give Roehl credit for that.

Cons

Management micro-manages and loves to play the blame game. Driver retention is awful. Did not feel like i was part of the 'family'. In-truck cameras. Pay sucks

Advice to Management

Make more effort to keep your employees.

Aug 15, 2018 – Marketing & Communications Manager

While I don't know your specific situation, I do have a couple of clarifying questions.
    1. The GYCDL program is entirely Roehl's training program. We may use non-Roehl facilities and other resources... More

"Started off great! Now not so much..."

Current Employee - OTR Flatbed Driver in National, WV
    Current Employee - OTR Flatbed Driver in National, WV

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The GYCDL Program was awesome; a little fast paced, yet so is the job... The instructors that I trained under during Phase One are amazing! Very reliable teachers. Answered most all of the questions I along with the other trainees had. The questions they didn’t know the answers to, they found and answered the next day. Phase Two was a lot more stressful for me personally, the Cargo Securement class should have been longer than one day. The OTR trainer I had was ok; I feel like he should have been trained better as an instructor.

1. Great Instructors for those new to the environment.
    2. Team members (other drivers) offer their help.
    3. Trucks are newer but basic...
    4. ELD Compliant

Cons

As stated above, awesome company leading up to going solo and being assigned a truck...

1. Fleet Manager is okay; we have our differences. Learning to just do as he says. (When I started phase Two i was required to contact him once a day... I distinctly remember him saying for me to be successful him and I need to work together as a team... now that I am solo it is more like he “yells jump” and my response is required to be “how high.” Not a team effort. More like I do as he says or risk retaliation.)

2. Dispatch does not plan times correctly based on routing. Fuel and Routing is ridiculous; (plan @55MPH) then proceeds to route you through every small town not built for trucks with speeds as low as 15MPH. And then has the nerve to blame you for being late.

3. The fleet management personnel are taught to place blame on the driver if anything goes wrong. Regardless of the nature of the problem. (I.e Poor F&R Plan/Unsafe Roads/Unsafe Traffic {being routed through areas during “rush hour”}/.etc)

4. Miles Assigned are not as promised.

5. Loads are forced on drivers (even if logical reason to refuse the load is presented.)

6. Forced to sign contract (miles based) [refer to number 4.]

7. Equipment is rusted beyond repair (securement equip.)

8. Weekend dispatch/Over Night Fleet Managers are 85% useless. (That is if you can actually get through to someone via their automated voip system.)

9. Repeatedly sent to shippers that have a well known history of being a cemetery for HOS.

10. GPS System is often incorrect (wrong exit numbers, road names incorrect, speed alert is wrong 60% of the time)

11. Event Recorders (inward facing is invasion of privacy)

12. Lane Control Alert goes off randomly... (could be on a road with not a single line anywhere for miles but it will repeatedly go off setting off the event recorder.)

13. Bendix System/Collision Mitigating System is overwhelmingly inaccurate. (I’ve had it slam(literally) on the brakes and I was the only vehicle on the road for miles) (no obstructions in road either) Apparently these trucks are scared of shadows...

14. Governed at 65... More of a traffic hazard than safe. especially on the roads with speeds above that. (These trucks struggle to climb a damn hill empty due to being governed.)

15. Everything that goes wrong is the Drivers Fault.

16. Pay is lower than most other companies. (Based on per mile rates)

Advice to Management

Not worth the argument.

If I didn’t fear losing my job and being forced to pay the current outstanding contract... I’d tell them myself.

...Open Door Policy Doesn’t Protect Against Retaliation...

"CDL-A Truck Driver"

Current Employee - Class A Cdl Truck Driver in Conley, GA
    Current Employee - Class A Cdl Truck Driver in Conley, GA

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free laundry at several terminals. 50% drop and hooks. I encountered three people in the Compant that I felt cared about us. Nobody else did.

Cons

Disorganized management with no concern for the drivers. A lot of wasted time. Frequently searching for empty trailers, frequently sent to customers that are closed or without necessary numbers just to be turned away, required me to leave on recaps 3 hours before my 34 hour reset completed, poor communication - frequently ignore messages. Long hold times when calling in. Night dispatch not capable of handling problems. Trucks frequently in the shop and problems recur - don’t get fixed properly. Must work continually to make any money. $40,000 per year max for 70+ hours per week. I was never late, always left as soon as my breaks were over (unless I couldn’t). Really it was an awful experience. Career opportunities only rated three stars because fleet managers were constantly leaving also and there are always job postings. Turnover is high.

Advice to Management

Get organized, get all management on the same page, take better care of the drivers.

Jun 28, 2018 – Marketing & Communications Manager

Hello, I'm sorry your experience didn't meet your expectations, and I encourage you to communicate through your chain of leadership so it can improve! I'm going to callout one of things you said: the... More

"JUST ROLL PAST ROEHL TRANSPORT AND DON'T THINK TWICE!"

Current Employee - Professional Truck Driver in Conley, GA
    Current Employee - Professional Truck Driver in Conley, GA

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid rental car and hotel accommodation during orientation and $10.00 meal ticket for breakfast or dinner. Not to mention, nice equipment.

Cons

They don't pay their professional truck drivers on time or if ever at all. Constantly disputing your weekly pay, period . They are in the business to pick up and drop trailers, daily, for FREE and see no wrong, as to why they don't pay their professional truck drivers.
    After my fourth load my paycheck says ZERO net pay. I called my driver manager and asked "where's my paycheck"? Response, call your driver manager. Nothing but a BIG SPIN AT ROEHL TRANSPORT INC & nobody seems to know nothing when it comes to payroll. This is by far the worst trucking company and such a waste of time last five (5) weeks of he'll and basically worked for FREE with ZERO NET PAY.
    Thank you Roehl Transport for ZERO NET PAY!

Advice to Management

PAY YOUR DRIVERS AND STOP MAKING FALSE PROMISES AS YOU HAVE NO MILES TO GIVE YOUR DRIVERS, NO 10,000, 00 BONUS, AND ZERO NET PAY!

"Invests in Employee Development"

Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Marshfield, WI
    Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Marshfield, WI

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A culture of employee development (drivers and non-drivers)
    Recognize and utilize employee strengths
    One mission, one team atmosphere

Cons

Can not think of anything

May 16, 2018 – Marketing & Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for being a part of TeamRoehl!

"Driver Employment Specialist"

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great company ! The people are amazing, always there to support you. Good pay!

Cons

PTO isn't very good. Hard to get days off

Advice to Management

more PTO

May 17, 2018 – Marketing & Communications Manager

Thank you for the five-star review! We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback.

"Still going strong - more than five years in with the company"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Marshfield, WI
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Marshfield, WI

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- company is stable, forward thinking and built on values
    - leadership explains our mission and demonstrates the aforementioned values
    - I've been able to do some very neat things as a part of Roehl.
    - Despite our size (more than 2500 employees), there is really a family atmosphere.
    - I absolutely love connecting with my teammates, especially drivers. We are doing great work in a very challenging space.

Cons

- I've been pushed to be my best in my role at Roehl. I recognize that, at times, this makes me uncomfortable. I also think it's actually more of a positive than a negative.
    - Trucking is a tough business. Some trucking companies are not built on values; they are not like Roehl, but that doesn't stop some people from forming a biased opinion about our company.

May 16, 2018 – Marketing & Communications Manager

Thank you for the feedback.

"Truck Driver"

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

new trucks, practical miles instead of the zip code, treated with respect, I'm home every weekend and still making $1300 a week on a dedicated account. they trust me with issues I feel unsafe. best maintenance dept. ever experienced nobody even close. hours not days

Cons

Wish I had came when first started driving

Advice to Management

My manager is great. Treats me like an experienced driver not a rookie

May 16, 2018 – Marketing & Communications Manager

We really appreciate the feedback - thanks for sharing your thoughts and for being a part of our team!

"Manager"

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Roehl is a great company to work for. Safety is a value here. Great equipment. Opportunities for advancement and a career.

Cons

None compared to other companies.

Jun 28, 2018 – Marketing & Communications Manager

Thank you for this review and feedback!