Roehl Transport Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Roehl Transport CEO Rick Roehl
Rick Roehl

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I had the opportunity to join Roehl Transport 11 years ago as a Fleet Manager" (in 16 reviews)

• "Roehl Transports home time fleets are great for drivers who need to be home more" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some fleet managers are good, but others are just complete imbeciles" (in 15 reviews)

• "Time away from home is biggest draw back" (in 5 reviews)

"Lease Operator"

Current Employee - Lease Operator in Marshfield, WI
    Current Employee - Lease Operator in Marshfield, WI

I have been working at Roehl Transport (More than a year)

Pros

Great money if you know how to run your truck.

Good choice of loads.

Great way to learn the ins and outs of being an owner operator without all the major commitments.

Cons

Long hours, but it goes with the job.

Aug 29, 2018 – Marketing & Communications Manager

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback.

2. "Local"

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time

Pros

There is the opportunity to be home every night or be gone a couple days.

Cons

Sometimes you have to work longer than expected days.

Oct 8, 2018 – Marketing & Communications Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback. We value your input!

3. "It is still a great experience. Lots of room fir advancement ."

Current Employee - OTR Flatbed Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - OTR Flatbed Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice secure job it just depends on the person

Cons

Non yet, any issue I had was easily resolved

Advice to Management

Keep making the drivers a priority and everything will continue to run smoothly

Oct 3, 2018 – Marketing & Communications Manager

Thank you for your 5-star review! We're proud to have you as part of TeamRoehl!

4. "OTR Driver"

I worked at Roehl Transport full-time

Pros

The solitude and the scenery

Cons

The pay is poor for novices and the hour are long

Oct 2, 2018 – Marketing & Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We appreciate your input!

"Poor company to work for."

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Marshfield, WI
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Marshfield, WI

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some newer trucks if you can survive the dilapidated equipment.

Cons

Everything about the compqny is a con, from the nanny or big brother cams in the trucks to the rude management staff and horrible communication throughout the company. The pay is very low. There is no respect for values or family values, and drivers are treated as machines not people. You are treated as a warm body to fill a position not a valued member of a team.

Advice to Management

Value the drivers more stop force dispatching and raise pay to a reasonable wage for drivers, stop making office staff (dispatchers, fuel and routing, and recruiters) the highest valued workers because there would be no Roehl Transportation without the Drivers.

Oct 10, 2018 – Marketing & Communications Manager

I encourage you to work with your fleet manager to develop a plan for your success. If you recall our Wall of Values, we have Driver Success as a stand-alone value. We provide responsiveness, care... More

"Driver"

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no good reasons to work here. They talk the talk but dont walk the walk. They treat drivers like freight and not human beings. Dont walk run from this company.

Cons

Dealing with management and proper communication. Also, the lack of respect given to drivers. Trainers know how to drive but have no clue how to teach.

Advice to Management

Treat drivers with respect and learn how to communicate properly. As for your training program learn how to teach and understand that everyone learns differently. Roehl has some good drivers but horrible teachers. Don't subject yourself to their abuse.

Oct 10, 2018 – Marketing & Communications Manager

If you are still a current employee, I encourage you to work with your Fleet Manager and your Fleet Operations Manager to develop a plan for your success. We literally put Driver Success on our Wall... More

"Started off great! Now not so much..."

Current Employee - OTR Flatbed Driver in National, WV
    Current Employee - OTR Flatbed Driver in National, WV

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The GYCDL Program was awesome; a little fast paced, yet so is the job... The instructors that I trained under during Phase One are amazing! Very reliable teachers. Answered most all of the questions I along with the other trainees had. The questions they didn’t know the answers to, they found and answered the next day. Phase Two was a lot more stressful for me personally, the Cargo Securement class should have been longer than one day. The OTR trainer I had was ok; I feel like he should have been trained better as an instructor.

1. Great Instructors for those new to the environment.
    2. Team members (other drivers) offer their help.
    3. Trucks are newer but basic...
    4. ELD Compliant

Cons

As stated above, awesome company leading up to going solo and being assigned a truck...

1. Fleet Manager is okay; we have our differences. Learning to just do as he says. (When I started phase Two i was required to contact him once a day... I distinctly remember him saying for me to be successful him and I need to work together as a team... now that I am solo it is more like he “yells jump” and my response is required to be “how high.” Not a team effort. More like I do as he says or risk retaliation.)

2. Dispatch does not plan times correctly based on routing. Fuel and Routing is ridiculous; (plan @55MPH) then proceeds to route you through every small town not built for trucks with speeds as low as 15MPH. And then has the nerve to blame you for being late.

3. The fleet management personnel are taught to place blame on the driver if anything goes wrong. Regardless of the nature of the problem. (I.e Poor F&R Plan/Unsafe Roads/Unsafe Traffic {being routed through areas during “rush hour”}/.etc)

4. Miles Assigned are not as promised.

5. Loads are forced on drivers (even if logical reason to refuse the load is presented.)

6. Forced to sign contract (miles based) [refer to number 4.]

7. Equipment is rusted beyond repair (securement equip.)

8. Weekend dispatch/Over Night Fleet Managers are 85% useless. (That is if you can actually get through to someone via their automated voip system.)

9. Repeatedly sent to shippers that have a well known history of being a cemetery for HOS.

10. GPS System is often incorrect (wrong exit numbers, road names incorrect, speed alert is wrong 60% of the time)

11. Event Recorders (inward facing is invasion of privacy)

12. Lane Control Alert goes off randomly... (could be on a road with not a single line anywhere for miles but it will repeatedly go off setting off the event recorder.)

13. Bendix System/Collision Mitigating System is overwhelmingly inaccurate. (I’ve had it slam(literally) on the brakes and I was the only vehicle on the road for miles) (no obstructions in road either) Apparently these trucks are scared of shadows...

14. Governed at 65... More of a traffic hazard than safe. especially on the roads with speeds above that. (These trucks struggle to climb a damn hill empty due to being governed.)

15. Everything that goes wrong is the Drivers Fault.

16. Pay is lower than most other companies. (Based on per mile rates)

Advice to Management

Not worth the argument.

If I didn’t fear losing my job and being forced to pay the current outstanding contract... I’d tell them myself.

...Open Door Policy Doesn’t Protect Against Retaliation...

Oct 10, 2018 – Marketing & Communications Manager

Please do follow up with your concerns. Your fleet manager and the company wants you be to a safe, successful professional truck driver.

"Look for a better company"

I worked at Roehl Transport full-time

Pros

GYCDL program was good, but it was done through a third party - so can't even give Roehl credit for that.

Cons

Management micro-manages and loves to play the blame game. Driver retention is awful. Did not feel like i was part of the 'family'. In-truck cameras. Pay sucks

Advice to Management

Make more effort to keep your employees.

Aug 15, 2018 – Marketing & Communications Manager

While I don't know your specific situation, I do have a couple of clarifying questions.
    1. The GYCDL program is entirely Roehl's training program. We may use non-Roehl facilities and other resources... More

"CDL-A Truck Driver"

Current Employee - Class A Cdl Truck Driver in Conley, GA
    Current Employee - Class A Cdl Truck Driver in Conley, GA

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free laundry at several terminals. 50% drop and hooks. I encountered three people in the Compant that I felt cared about us. Nobody else did.

Cons

Disorganized management with no concern for the drivers. A lot of wasted time. Frequently searching for empty trailers, frequently sent to customers that are closed or without necessary numbers just to be turned away, required me to leave on recaps 3 hours before my 34 hour reset completed, poor communication - frequently ignore messages. Long hold times when calling in. Night dispatch not capable of handling problems. Trucks frequently in the shop and problems recur - don’t get fixed properly. Must work continually to make any money. $40,000 per year max for 70+ hours per week. I was never late, always left as soon as my breaks were over (unless I couldn’t). Really it was an awful experience. Career opportunities only rated three stars because fleet managers were constantly leaving also and there are always job postings. Turnover is high.

Advice to Management

Get organized, get all management on the same page, take better care of the drivers.

Jun 28, 2018 – Marketing & Communications Manager

Hello, I'm sorry your experience didn't meet your expectations, and I encourage you to communicate through your chain of leadership so it can improve! I'm going to callout one of things you said: the... More

"JUST ROLL PAST ROEHL TRANSPORT AND DON'T THINK TWICE!"

Current Employee - Professional Truck Driver in Conley, GA
    Current Employee - Professional Truck Driver in Conley, GA

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid rental car and hotel accommodation during orientation and $10.00 meal ticket for breakfast or dinner. Not to mention, nice equipment.

Cons

They don't pay their professional truck drivers on time or if ever at all. Constantly disputing your weekly pay, period . They are in the business to pick up and drop trailers, daily, for FREE and see no wrong, as to why they don't pay their professional truck drivers.
    After my fourth load my paycheck says ZERO net pay. I called my driver manager and asked "where's my paycheck"? Response, call your driver manager. Nothing but a BIG SPIN AT ROEHL TRANSPORT INC & nobody seems to know nothing when it comes to payroll. This is by far the worst trucking company and such a waste of time last five (5) weeks of he'll and basically worked for FREE with ZERO NET PAY.
    Thank you Roehl Transport for ZERO NET PAY!

Advice to Management

PAY YOUR DRIVERS AND STOP MAKING FALSE PROMISES AS YOU HAVE NO MILES TO GIVE YOUR DRIVERS, NO 10,000, 00 BONUS, AND ZERO NET PAY!

Oct 10, 2018 – Marketing & Communications Manager

I hope you will follow up with your fleet manager or our employee relations manager about your pay issues. We have lots and lots of very successful drivers, and it sounds like there could be... More