Roehl Transport Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Roehl Transport CEO Rick Roehl
Rick Roehl

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • fleet managers didn't try to bully you in to run illegally (in 14 reviews)

• Roehl Transports home time fleets are great for drivers who need to be home more (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Fleet managers not driver focused (in 14 reviews)

• im away from home weekly this is hard for my family (in 4 reviews)

"OTR Driver"

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starter company
    Constant miles
    Allows pets
    New trucks
    Dispatchers communicate well with drivers
    Safety is HUGE and if you feel driving conditions are unsafe they will not push you to make delivery

Cons

Slow trucks, 63 on the pedal or Cruze it doesn’t matter. Might as well park going up most hills as you’ll be in 6th or 5th going through areas like PA
    Planners cannot tell time and can be hard getting home
    No inverter

Advice to Management

Remover governors on trucks

2. "Decent for beginners, dreadful for experienced."

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Payed cdl school.
    New equipment

Cons

Very restrictive, bad communication, maintenance usually sucks, especially at the Gary terminal. Some fleet managers are good, but others are just complete imbeciles.
    Going through cdl program requires a 120k mile contract which traps you in the job.

Advice to Management

Scrap the contract.

3. "OTR Truck Driver"

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver

I worked at Roehl Transport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

fleet managers didn't try to bully you in to run illegally

Cons

I was with Roehl for roughly 5 years. about 2 years before I left is when thing started going down hill. they started updating there fleet with trucks equipped with an automatic braking system which NEVER worked as advertised. One truck I drove was so bad I began recording every FAILS brake application of the system and it averaged 26 FAILS brake applications a DAY 2-5 of those were hard enough to make the seat belt lock (add snow ice and heavy traffic....) roughly 8 months before I left the loads got bad, keep in mind I was in OTR driver in there NATIONAL fleet, roughly 90% of the loads i got originated in, end in, or went trough the Chicago metro area, averaged 300 miles and where scheduled such that i was going trough Chicago at peak rush hour. on my W2's I averaged 34000 a year.

Advice to Management

focus more on driver training vs trucks that do the driving for the driver

4. "once was, no more"

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Gary, IN
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Gary, IN

I worked at Roehl Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Trucks are maintained for the most part.

Cons

1. trucks are maintained, with the exception of heat. once ran 3 weeks in the dead of winter with no bunk heat. wasn't fixed until 500+ dollars of fuel went to waste by idling the truck to use cab heat overnight. ran in a different truck with the same issue except with ac in the summer down south.

2. "No forced-dispatch -ish" : meaning they don't force you to run the load or run at all. but if you don't want to run, you don't have to, you just can't stay in the truck and will be resigning from your position.

3. Hometime - go OTR national and earn an average of 1 day off per 6 days out on the road. stay out for 2 months and request a load to get you home and you will be sent the opposite direction. not once. not twice. but many consecutive times your request will be made lower priority than ANYTHING in the company.

4. Average load vs. Average pay : average load for OTR national fleet driver is around 350-400 miles. *** "Average pay for OTR drivers(directly quoted from their fleet operations manager) is about $16.50 per hour after all numbers are accounted for." *** drove for them for 18 months, averaged $10.50 per hour over the duration of my employment with them.

5. Safety department. The company "cares" about safety, but will argue to no end with you about their sly attempts at altering and syncing logs from the office to the truck while you sleep. They will break 14-hour clock laws and regulations in order to succeed a sale, meaning the driver will work (off clock) to ensure the load is complete before going to sleep for the night, and will still be expected to but up 'n at 'em 10 hours after the end of their 14 clock(give or take 15 minutes for restroom, changing, and coffee in the morning) - which boils down to the driver getting 4 hours of sleep and referring to #2 in this description.

6. Efficiency: the company completely ignores the driver's natural ability to be the most efficient person at their job. you WILL run THROUGH chicago during rush hour, reguardless of the availability of routes around. you will NOT shutdown early outside of chicago to avoid the rush hour waste of hos(hours of service), reguardless of your 14 clock only having an hour remaining.

7. Hours of service resets(34 hour reset) are pretty strictly avoided. You WILL wait 32 hours for a load during an industry slump in the middle of nowhere with no wifi, and 2 hours before getting a fresh 70 clock you WILL take a 50 mile load to keep moving and making money, reguardless of only getting an hour back for the following day.

How's that for the "Safe Seven" Roehl?

Onward, it's a good company to give your heart and soul to if you never expect a return. Not a good, not even a mediocre company, if you plan for career progression, or basic human understanding. Contracts for schooling, a job, a truck purchase, or even a retirement account can and WILL be held and if broken, the company(Roehl) will obtain every cent possible back from you, even earned wages.

Advice to Management

Revert back to Roehl circa 2014 before the change in management completely destroyed the company and it's career focused drivers. Make the DRIVER the top priority again, reguardless of cost. **If you don't sacrifice for what you want(quality drivers), then what you want becomes the sacrifice.**

"Really poor"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Maintenance is nice at most of the terminals. Some of the fleet manager are good, and some of the higher up are good.

Cons

Roehl has their core values that they put in all of their buildings, but can't seem to stick to them. Right now on their GYCDL sign up page, it says you will make $60k+/year. This simply isn't even close to true. I made $33k. They say you have to sign a contract to basically reimburse for the training, and it's based on miles and should take about 15 months to fulfill. Again, this simply isn't true, try 24-36 months because they don't give you the miles they said you'd be getting. Whether you complete 1% or 99% of the miles in your contract, if you leave early you will be billed the full amount. I don't know how they expect you to pay it, when it's 1/6th of your yearly pay, but...

When you speak with the recruiter, they will tell you things like "transportation will be provided" or "meals will be provided every day for all 3 meals". When you show up, you are treated like a jerk for suggesting such a ludicrous idea.

Also, no one else I've talked to noticed this, but day one, when you're going through orientation, there's a form they tell you to sign along with your w-4 and 401k stuff. They say it is a disclosure to use your photo on their Facebook page. If you actually read it it states that you are signing over your image, likeness, voice, name, signature, history, or anything else that makes you you from the past or going forward into the future, for their use or non use (fictional or actual) EXCLUSIVELY in perpetuity, with no compensation, approval or even input needed, required, or allowed from you. If you run into a building and save a bunch of orphans and the news wants to do a story on you, you MUST refer them to Roehl for approval, because you no longer have the authority to say "yes, you can put my picture or name or story in the newspaper". [Edit: I tried to submit a copy of this, but it was not allowed] talk about honesty and integrity.

Advice to Management

Look real hard at your core values, and what you're doing as a company and see how far apart they've gotten. Talk is cheap, and that's all it is right now.

"Good Company to work for in IT"

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time

Pros

Laid back culture, open door policy with managment, ability to flex some time around appointments

Cons

Benefits are not the greatest

Advice to Management

Less meetings so we can do our job

"Not a bad job"

Current Employee - Dedicated Driver in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Dedicated Driver in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay good benifits friendly

Cons

Not enough home time only 1 full day off

Advice to Management

None

8. "They create a hostile work enviroment"

Current Employee - Truck Driver
    Current Employee - Truck Driver

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They take care of their Trucks

Cons

The company is a Customer based company. As a trucker your time is meaningless. They will lie to you, change terms, ask you to communicate more then punish you and threaten your job for asking questions about agreements... I was told as a driver that the company doesnt discuss miles we dont talk about it.

Advice to Management

Your commodity is the drivers, your rating with all the Trucking rankings among drivers are dropping. When i sat in the driver lounges at the terminals the driver complain that you are not a driver company anymore but care more about the office people clique. Every terminal i been in the talk of Unions arise (personally i am not a fan of unions) to get better treatment.

"Good Opportunity, but Double Check Processes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

I worked at Roehl Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The "Get Your CDL" program is a good way to break into the trucking industry for a young person who has no experience.

Cons

An apparent lack of communication between departments. I was not told of a problem with my DOT medical card until I was 3 weeks into the training program. The Safety Department invalidated my card, so I lost valuable training time and failed my CDL test. I don't know if my card is valid, so I don't know that I qualify any more. In the meantime, I am being told that I owe them for the training program.

Advice to Management

Please review your recruiters and on boarding processes. I'm sure that it would be better if all documentation was properly reviewed and approved before allocating valuable training resources.

"Truck Driver"

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Gary, IN
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Gary, IN

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hometime and safe company

Cons

Dispatch leaves you hanging and a lot of pay discrepancies. Keep an eye on your pay stubs.

Advice to Management

Treat your experienced drivers better.