Roehl Transport "dispatch" Reviews | Glassdoor

Rick Roehl

"Driver"

Truck Driver

I worked at Roehl Transport

Pros

Good training company. Good company for new drivers.

Cons

Lousy hours, lousy pay, lousy dispatchers, lousy equipment, lousy management.

Advice to Management

Treat drivers with respect. Pay them better, make sure dispatchers aren't abusive towards drivers.

Roehl Transport2015-04-18

"Good starter company"

Former Employee - OTR Driver, Dry Van in Ellenwood, GA

I worked at Roehl Transport full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They were great with miles once I started, benefits were reasonable, routes were clear, and well planned

Cons

After about six months, planning routes became something that the planners couldn't seem to handle properly. Loads were placed on me when I didn't have the hours to complete them safely and I was forced by dispatch to accept these loads. I needed my truck fixed, though there were several small things wrong with it at first, that number quickly grew, and the trailers were poorly maintained.

Advice to Management

Get some planners that know how to plan for current routes, included restricted roads, and hopefully they'll be able to communicate with the fleet managers to keep the drivers rolling safely.

Roehl Transport2014-12-31

"Good starter comoany. Pay is dismal"

Current Employee - Ded GP Driver in Ellenwood, GA

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good equipment, good training, gets me home pretty much on time when I ask. Pay is on time.

Cons

Nit enough miles. Planning is iffy at best. Get decent check one week then bad one the next. Work way too many hours for too little pay 50 dollars is a slap in the face for the utter bs we have to go thru to do business in Canada. Weekend dispatch sucks. Gary terminal service is aweful. Pay per mile is rediculous for work performed and hours to perform it. Love the job but cant afford the insurance and cant make my bills at this pay rate. Binuses are a joke and unobtainable. They solit hairs over detention and layiver oay. No wonder they cant keep folk

Advice to Management

We know what the loads pay, fuel costs, and what the trucks cost, pay raises are nec and benifits need to be way better. And planners need to be more efficient. Weekend dispatch.... Nuff said

Roehl Transport2014-11-21

"There are cameras in the trucks"

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van National in Ellenwood, GA

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have a fantastic company sponsored CDL training program in Marshfield, Wisconsin. Classes start about every week. The company has an excellent safety record.

Cons

As a driver, I work 2-3 weeks at a time and bring home an average of $480 per week. There are cameras in the trucks. I haven't been home on time in 3+ months. The insurance and other benefits are not accessible because you aren't home on time. They only give you 2 days off instead of the promised 3. My AC/Heater breaks about once a month. The local directions are dangerously inaccurate and you are criminally liable for any accidents. Weekend dispatchers are frequently rude and incompetent.

Advice to Management

Utilize modern technology. This isn't the 90's. Cull the Gary terminal and weekend dispatchers. A lot of drivers quit because of mistreatment.

Roehl Transport2014-11-09

"Might be a good Co. for beginners, but move on as soon as you can!"

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van National in Gary, IN

I worked at Roehl Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

Highly safety oriented company with pretty decent equipment (Tractors/trailers. Good facilities at many of their terminals.

Cons

Hiring on as a seasoned veteran driver, I was constantly being treated like a rookie. Dispatchers were not very helpful solving problems created by planning dept. errors. To save a few pennies you're routed on a lot of back roads (slow) and paid miles never match driven ones! I think they stretch a string over a map, and compare it to the map scale. NOT very realistic!!

Advice to Management

Wise up! Start listening to your drivers (they're the ones that make you money!) I see the same negative comments repeatedly! Your routing SUCKS!

Roehl Transport2014-03-04

"Overall Terrible. Flatbed OTR for six months."

Former Employee - CDL OTR Flatbed National in Gary, IN

I worked at Roehl Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

The dispatch (they call them feet managers) and most mechanics are generally very nice and cooperative. That is the only good part though. Safety is priority one.

Cons

I drove flatbed because I wanted the exercise. Stay away from flatbed! Long 14 hour days. Lots of on-duty not driving (i.e. not getting paid) time. Their mandated truck routes follow slow and congested roads and state highways instead of interstate highways in order to avoid paying tolls. Saves the company money but less money in your pocket because you can only average 45MPH some days. Trucks are regulated at 61MPH to save on fuel and is frustrating when the speed limit is 70. Other trucking companies are passing all the time and getting mad at you for driving so slow. Also driving 61MPH minimizes how much you can make per hour. Hard to find a place to park the truck to sleep when not travelling interstate highway. My trainer was terrible at providing information and mostly only interested in the money he made with the miles that I drove for him. I did not realize how little I learned until going solo. I drove in Canada and and the Northeast which is way different then driving in the middle of the US where during my training period truck parking is plentiful and trip planning is easy. I received no border crossing training using border manifests and no training on driving in a foreign country. They appear to favor the local drivers with new trucks and give the OTR drivers the older broken down trucks. My truck was always breaking down every couple of weeks. So OTR trucks break down a lot and you are far away from a terminal so they want you to do repairs for them FOR FREE! Every tarp seemed to have holes in them and so difficult to keep the load dry. And you get blamed if the load gets wet. I say to them get new frigging tarps or repair the old ones. And they are always getting your equipment inventory wrong. For example saying you have more tarps than you signed out and then stating you are responsible to pay for any missing equipment. Then you have to convince them of there error. Keep all your equipment sign out sheets for proof!! Just a terrible experience.. I quit after 6 months. I would not go back.

Advice to Management

Let the trucks go 70 MPH and use the interstate highways so the drivers can earn a living. Repair the tarps.

Roehl Transport2013-09-17

"driver class a reefer unit"

Current Employee - CDL Driver in New York, NY

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

lots of miles hometime is good

Cons

hometime is good work with dispatch

Roehl Transport2013-04-03

"Good job for a beginner, but not much else"

Driver

I worked at Roehl Transport

Pros

Its a good job for a driver that is new to the transportation industry

Cons

Maintenance staff is incompetent and does not fix issues when they need to be fixed, worked a month driving through the deep south with no a/c and 90-100 degree temps, Dispatchers sit behind a desk and often have no thought for the driver. Regional driving means they pay you less and can still send you halfway across the country

Advice to Management

Tell your dispatchers to realize that the drivers are the ones making the money and being away from family and friends weeks and months at a time. Fix issues with trucks when they come up, not when its most convenient for the mechanics.

Roehl Transport2012-01-19