KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Roehl Transport

Engaged Employer

Roehl Transport

Add a Review

Roehl Transport Employee Reviews about "roehl"

Updated Oct 5, 2021

Found 40 of over 409 reviews

3.6
Roehl Transport CEO Rick Roehl
Rick Roehl

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great training especially in Marshfield.(in 25 reviews)
  • "If you have a good fleet manager you're good to go.(in 17 reviews)
  • "Safety is HUGE and if you feel driving conditions are unsafe they will not push you to make delivery(in 11 reviews)
  • "The good people that work there are great.(in 10 reviews)
  • "Excellent training program and get paid to get your CDL(in 10 reviews)
Cons
  • "Low pay but to be expected for a starter company.(in 31 reviews)
  • "Very restrictive, bad communication, maintenance usually sucks, especially at the Gary terminal.(in 8 reviews)
  • "Stressful, high call volume, bad management, just a number(in 7 reviews)
  • "The same as any over the road driving job; long hours and bad pay for what is demanded of you as a driver.(in 5 reviews)
  • "Love the job but cant afford the insurance and cant make my bills at this pay rate.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Roehl Transport and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "roehl"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0

Great Company

Oct 5, 2021 - Class A CDL Instructor in Appleton, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Roehl is a family owned business with lots of opportunities and puts a high value on their employees

Cons

This is a tough industry with lots of challenges. Roehl works hard to be different and deal with those challenges.

Roehl Transport Response

Awesome – thanks for sharing and thank you for being a part of TeamRoehl!

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Roehl is Trustworthy, Pleasant & Nice

Jun 22, 2021 - OTR Truck Driver in Conley, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Roehl cares for their drivers. The support staff (especially my Fleet Manager) goes out of their way to make sure I'm content. They have made several promises to me and have never broken one of them. What they say is what they'll do. They are trustworthy and nice. It's a very pleasant atmosphere! Everyone is upbeat; it's uncanny!

Cons

I'm sure there are cons but none of them stand out to me. Just thought of one; my ELD system is always breaking down. No can seem to fix it and they won't replace it. It sometimes causes me to go to paper logs. The other con is that Roehl tells you where you have to fuel. I can live with those two things however.

Roehl Transport Response

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us such a kind review! We truly appreciate the feedback. We're glad you're part of our team.

3. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Stay Away

May 12, 2021 - OTR Truck Driver
    Business Outlook

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

Pompous middle management, corporate culture designed to exploit new recruits, training is a joke, go elsewhere to obtain CDL. In my last month before completing the 120k miles necessary to clear my contractual $7k debt to Roehl, I was fired for a blowout. Now I owe them $7k, can't get unemployment, and am having a hard time finding another job with this termination on my record. It was a horrible experience from the beginning. After a year of living in a truck cab the size of a closet, starting every 14-hour shift at midnight or 11pm, I took in only $32k. I had a positive attitude and figured the first year would be difficult only to find that roehls mo is to squeeze new drivers. Every anxiety you have about working here is the proper instinct. Stay away!

1 person found this review helpful

Roehl Transport Response

It’s challenging to respond to reviews like this when it’s clear that there’s so much missing information, but here goes. First, no matter what, I wish you well and hope things get better for you. While I’m not sure who “middle management” is, I know our teammates in operations and training very much want our driving teammates to be safe and successful. Being terminated for a blowout seems like we’re missing a lot of additional information, and if you drove for more than a year and only made $32,000, then something else is for sure amiss. Sure, it takes time to learn the job and build the stamina, skills and habits you need to be successful, but by 9-10 months you should have been on pace to make a $1000 a week or much more. Roehl’s “mo” is to operate according to our values, like Safety and Driver Driven. Again, I wish you well and hope that what ever you do, you will drive the Roehl Way to protect others.

4. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Inconsistency in trainer quality

Feb 20, 2021 - Inexperienced Student Driver in Gary, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

• Roehl is generally a good company, emphasize on safe driving and many employees said good things about the company. • Orientation was fine, learned the overview of the company.

Cons

• If you don't already have some skill with backing accuracy from driving school in difficult maneuver settings, you may want to think twice before coming to Roehl and signing the contract that put yourself at risk for the $3600+ training cost obligation you need to payback to Roehl if leaving anytime before completing 40,000 miles driving for them. You could end up with no job and debts if things didn't work out. • Inconsistency in phase two trainer quality and trainer professionalism. • Busy fleet manager lack of communication. • no 401K matching. • Profit sharing has 5 years vested time. Meaning the profit sharing bonus is not 100% yours until you served 5 years in the company. • training fee payback obligation if didn't finish the contract 120,000 miles ($7000+) or 40,000 ($3000+) miles

Roehl Transport Response

Hello. Reading between the lines here because I do not know your personal situation with Roehl. First, it sounds like you came from a truck driving school. Generally speaking, a truck driving school prepares someone to test for their CDL, not necessarily to be a successful truck driver. One of the reasons we have our Safety and Jobs Skills Training Program for recent CDL school graduates is the skillset drivers have when they come to Roehl is so varied, so we provide the paid, on-the job training to help them be successful actually doing the work of a professional truck driver. Second, when people have more than one trainer, it often means that we are trying multiple people to further help the new driver. It’s important to note that our training program isn’t a team operation or a way to generate extra revenue from a truck like so many others do; no, our program is designed to take our 60 years of experience (more than half of them training new drivers) and give people the skills to be successful. That’s why we also have dedicated Fleet Training Managers who work specifically with new drivers. And yes, we have an agreement because we invest in our people! Our training has value, and that’s why so many people seek us out, and that’s why Roehl drivers are leaders in terms of pay, productivity and safety. There’s a lot more I could say (like about how a 401k match is almost always less than our profit sharing, which we’ve made every year since the plan started in 1980, how we introduce programs like address-to-address mileage pay, etc.), but the main thing I hope you got from your time with us is how to use the Safe 7. I wish you well, and hope you’ll hold safety as a value and drive the Roehl Way to protect others.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Low paychecks

Dec 17, 2020 - Refrigerated Driver in Gary, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

They make sure you can drive.

Cons

High wait times at docks built into Roehl contracts, nobody cares about your detention time.

Roehl Transport Response

Your comment about high wait times just doesn’t resonate. When those wheels aren’t rolling, both the driver and the company aren’t earning. That’s why we pay our drivers for their detention time and why we charge our customers for that time as well. Detention time hurts all involved.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

The Roehl Way

Aug 19, 2019 - Instructor in Conley, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Honesty- Roehl has been open and honest from day 1. I'm approaching 3 yrs with the company and its been the best experience ever. As with anywhere, if you put the hard work and dedicate yourself to being the best at what you do, your efforts will pay off.

Cons

The one downside with Roehl as far as drivers go is the fact that you earn HOME time. Not so bad right? Its unpaid. So what have you earned? If you can't afford to sit at home for a couple of days that's tough. If its earned time off, it should be compensated for. Look into offering paid time off to show drivers you appreciate the hard work that's put in.

11 people found this review helpful

Marketing & Communications Manager

Thanks for your feedback! We will share your feedback with the team.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for!

Sep 17, 2019 - Fleet Manager in Marshfield, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company is built on values - especially safety. This drives everything we do and it is nice to work for a company that cares about its employees. I also really like the emphasis on teamwork here. If I ever have a problem or a question and my direct manager is unavailable, I have a whole pool of people that can help me at any time. There are a lot of opportunities for career development here as well - many people I work with have worked in other departments in the past and have moved up the ladder.

Cons

The transportation industry is tough, freight is constantly changing along with technology and there is a huge demand for drivers with any company - this can make keeping drivers with us a challenge at times but Roehl is working to be different. We focus on building relationships with drivers and not just dispatching them. We have new and well maintained equipment and new technology that can help accommodate this as well.

Marketing & Communications Manager

We very much appreciate your stellar review! Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are so happy to have you on TeamRoehl!

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Former Driver - Now Paying it Forward to New Drivers

Jul 10, 2019 - Orientation Supervisor in Marshfield, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Roehl has opportunities for growth. Both personal and professional. They gave me an opportunity to get out of a job where I wasn't going anywhere and has shown me time and time again the possibilities are endless if you work at it. The fact of the business being family owned and lead by a driver (yes, Rick still drives!) means he can relate to drivers and the "office" drivers work in day in and day out. The newer, well-maintained equipment is certainly a plus as well!

Cons

Safety is the company's cornerstone value. Every decision made in the company is based off that value. Some people have difficulty with that. After being in business for more than 55 years, Roehl has developed techniques that enable success. People may call it "micromanaging." The company just wants the safest drivers out on the road!

3 people found this review helpful

Marketing & Communications Manager

We are so pleased to receive your review! Thank you for taking the time out to share your experiences with us. We are proud to have you as a part of TeamRoehl!

9. 5.0

Great Company, Great Values

Jul 19, 2019 - Recruiting in Marshfield, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at another well known WI based company for many, many years who expressed family values along with flexibility and I thought they had that until I came to Roehl and saw what it was truly like to have them. My management team is flexible and cares about us as people, not staff. They believe in their values, everyone from drivers moving the freight to the receptionist at our front desk and it's refreshing. I've been with Roehl for almost two years to witness their corporate values and integrity.

Cons

Roehl has a great and unique training option for new drivers without a CDL but it does take time to get through. We aren't looking for people to get in and out quick. We typically book a few weeks out so you can prepare to be here with us. If you're looking to just start with whoever will take you first, we might not the right fit. If you're looking for top tier training, safety focused, then Roehl is where to go and worth the extra wait for our opportunity.

Marketing & Communications Manager

Thanks so much for leaving such an excellent, thoughtful review! We're so glad to have you as part of TeamRoehl and hope you'll stick with us for many more years to come.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Family company

Jul 11, 2019 - Recruiter in Marshfield, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with Roehl for 8 years and feel that Roehl has done a great job with making sure that Family comes first. Its a family own company and they have great benefits for driver and non driver employees. With keeping up with insurance options to offering different hometime opportunities. Family is what keeps us moving forward everyday and Roehl knows that.

Cons

Roehl is known for its training which means we are consistently filling spots every day for the on the job paid training program. Which means we are booking 1 mth out. It may be frustrating to not be able to start asap but I like to think of it as this program is in such demand and great that I rather wait to start my career off right rather than just settle for some other option that might not have the same values. You're a valued employee day one not just a number.

2 people found this review helpful

Marketing & Communications Manager

You have such a model attitude! Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are very honored to receive your review and have you as part of the Roehl family!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 40 Reviews