Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) Reviews in Milwaukee, WI | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paul A. Mueller
1 Rating

"Doing Great Work, Not Great to Work for"

Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Oconomowoc, WI
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Oconomowoc, WI

I have been working at Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent resident care, excellent resident outcomes

Cons

entry level staff are treated as disposable

Advice to Management

listen to the "little guy"

"Heartbreaking"

Former Employee - Patient Care Associate in West Allis, WI
    Former Employee - Patient Care Associate in West Allis, WI

I worked at Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The floor staff (nurses, PCA, MHP) were great to work with. The patients genuinely appreciated staff that care.

Cons

Management and administration consistently bully and force staff out of jobs on hear say and allow certain staff to get away with anything. The political agenda far outweighs patient treatment. Management has used threatening tones and put employees in a position to be punished when employees speak on their concerns. Family complaints are not taken seriously and patient care practices are not consistently followed. Staff that engage in power struggles or put patients in danger are not held responsible and even at times are not documented properly. HIPPA is constantly being broken between staff, sometimes infront of other staff, visitors, and other patients. Staff that are not certified to do specific tasks are allowed to perform said tasks (ex- eliminating the CNA requirement for PCAs but being forced to perform cares on children and the geriatric population). There is a lack of training overall, many staff have no prior experience working in mental health...let alone inpatient. When state comes everyone is scrambling to make sure all policies are adhered to, however after state has done its review and are no longer in the hospital there is a lack of following policy and state law requirements. Working for this company is a slippery slope to go down and almost impossible to navigate unless one has a lack of morals and values when working with a vulnerable population and knows how to navigate politics of a company only concerned about their bottom line and not concerned about basic safety for their patients and staff. Advice to future staff...document document, a paper trail will protect you more than your peers or managers.

Advice to Management

Remember this organization is a non-profit stemming from the idea that "life is worth living". Treat your employees that have direct patient contact with respect and kindness. Do right by the mental health population and understand working in mental health can be very difficult for employees, show empathy here and there and form relationships with employees so they do not feel they are disposable. Have administration spend more time on the units to have a better understanding of where strengths and areas to improved are.

"NOT Recommended!!! Brown Deer Location"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brown Deer, WI

Pros

Variety of positions, possibly a good stepping stone depending on your line of work

Cons

Very impersonal, employees treated like just a number
     management is not open to feedback or ideas and does not care about your input or opinions

highly unorganized across several departments
     extremely high turnover rate and many unhappy employees
     doesn't care about the safety of their staff
     too structured - uses opposite of person-centered approach with patients

Advice to Management

Respect your employees, listen to their feedback and treat them as human beings, not as just a number. Improve communication across shifts and between different departments. Be more organized when it comes to scheduling an interview - process was so disorganized I almost turned down the offer. Showed up to scheduled interview and my interviewer never showed. Rescheduled and received a call stating would have to reschedule again (time, date, and interviewer reported in the call were all incorrect).

"Love what we do for those who need help."

Current Employee - Intake Specialist in Oconomowoc, WI
    Current Employee - Intake Specialist in Oconomowoc, WI

I have been working at Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The feeling of helping those and their families during their struggles. Including imminent and chronic dangers and/or struggles.

The building is welcoming and it doesn't give you the feeling of a psychiatric hospital.

Cons

The turnover is extremely high, which adds so much stress to those who stay. The needing to constantly train new staff only to see them quit too because they either can't handle the stressors of the job or they simply get burnt out fast. I've heard it time and time again, they leave because the pay doesn't match the responsibility, education needed, and work load.

Most jobs within the organization require a minimum of a bachelor's, but the pay is entry level regardless of your education and years of experience. The pay simply doesn't match the work load and stress.

Growth is seldom, if you're content working in a position for a decade until a new position opens that would be a promotion with pay versus just a lateral move (no pay oncrrase) than you will be happy. However, most of us want to advance in our careers and the opportunities don't come up often.

Advice to Management

Creating growth for employees is a must. Employees who are truly dedicated want to see the company succeed, but also want to succeed in their careers. Unfortunately, not much opportunity for growth, which I'm certain is adding to the high turnover.

Most of us are very dedicated to our patients and the company, but with all the current changes, it is becoming more of an assembly line. This has been impacting patients and staff negatively. I hope the higher staff can see this and place themselves as if it were their loved one with going through this, would they be satisfied how the RIE is treating their family member as a person in crisis or just a number?

In other words treat staff as humans and we will we give even more to our patients.

"RN"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) (Less than a year)

Pros

Can be a rewarding job.

Cons

Low pay scale and terrible management. High turn over of employees.

"No opportunity for advancement-West Allis location"

Current Employee - PCA/Support Specialist in West Allis, WI
    Current Employee - PCA/Support Specialist in West Allis, WI

Pros

Most of the employees are very nice and it makes for a good work environment.

Cons

When I was interviewed I was told that there were ample opportunities to transfer to new positions. Since I have been here I have filled out the paperwork several times for a transfer to different positions and 90% of the time I wouldn't get a response from anybody. The one time I did get an interview I was never contacted for any type of follow-up. When I tried contacting them I would never get a response.

Advice to Management

Several of the 'low end' staff have advanced degrees but get treated like they are deadbeats by higher up staff and aren't given the chance to move up in the company at all. This just leads to poor employee retention.

"nurse"

I worked at Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) full-time

Pros

pto time,insurance-employee share program,great coworkers,

Cons

constant short staffed on units,management receives high salaries,management has own agenda -lots of politics-the hospital does not want to provide proper training any more to ensure staff are able to function on other units, hospital now functions as if ''for profit'',high turnover rate of staff,

Advice to Management

spend the time and money for proper training of employees, get rid of floating, provide coverage so staff can take lunch breaks,,

"Hmmmmm"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brown Deer, WI

I have been working at Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The experience can give you a strong work ethic.

Cons

Management!!!!!!!!!!
    So many power struggles!!
    Under paid!!!!!
    Short staffed!!!
    Segregated environment!!!!
    The mentality that you can be replaced is thrown in your face.
    Underappreciated

Advice to Management

Get to know what staff go through on the unit. Respond to emails. Treat employees as people

"New Employees (West Alis) would not reccomend!!!!!"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in West Allis, WI

I worked at Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers (floor staff), Environmentally nice building,

Cons

High turn over rate of employees, Lack of support from administration, Under staffed, Lack of experienced coworkers, Staff is easily terminated and replaced with new inexperienced staff (new grads),

Advice to Management

Apply your mission statement not only to the patients, but your employees also.

"A good place to launch a career"

Former Employee - Experiential Therapist in Oconomowoc, WI
    Former Employee - Experiential Therapist in Oconomowoc, WI

I worked at Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Experience with clients struggling with a variety of challenges across the lifespan, A broad range of clients to serve and learn from, chances to see a lot of different styles of treatment and to learn where your therapeutic style fits, group therapy helps you to obtain hours of licensure quickly, employer is well known in the area, ability to try new things and to gain exposure to a variety of CBT and DBT methods of treatment. You will learn a great number of very useful skills and will have an excellent opportunity to put learning into practice. This is a great place with a great history where you can start out doing good work in your field.

Cons

No room for personal growth or professional development, professional development is not supported whether it is attending a presentation or continuing your education so you can better serve the clients, growth is not supported by the institution as a whole despite policies that encourage it nor is growth supported by the management teams, change, and new ideas are not welcome even if it would greatly benefit the clients, little support for staff, high acuity, conditions can be unsafe at times. Expansion means that the minimal support is stretched even thinner and it can feel like it is about numbers and not quality of care. Human resources is ridiculous from the application all the way through termination, they do not respond to questions, and if you manage to get in touch with someone they will pass you around from person to person until you give up on your question or concern.

Advice to Management

Live by your mission statement(s). The work you do is good but there are so many agendas and so much expansion that the core of what you do--help clients to grow and change through difficulty--is completely lost.