Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"Patient Care Associate"

Former Employee - Patient Care Associate/Mental Health Technician in Elkhorn, WI

I worked at Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved helping the patients.. fun staff to work with.. Pool so I basically made my own schedule.

Cons

High turn over rate due to burn out.

"RN"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) (Less than a year)

Pros

Can be a rewarding job.

Cons

Low pay scale and terrible management. High turn over of employees.

"No opportunity for advancement-West Allis location"

Current Employee - PCA/Support Specialist in West Allis, WI
    Current Employee - PCA/Support Specialist in West Allis, WI

I have been working at Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the employees are very nice and it makes for a good work environment.

Cons

When I was interviewed I was told that there were ample opportunities to transfer to new positions. Since I have been here I have filled out the paperwork several times for a transfer to different positions and 90% of the time I wouldn't get a response from anybody. The one time I did get an interview I was never contacted for any type of follow-up. When I tried contacting them I would never get a response.

Advice to Management

Several of the 'low end' staff have advanced degrees but get treated like they are deadbeats by higher up staff and aren't given the chance to move up in the company at all. This just leads to poor employee retention.

"nurse"

I worked at Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) full-time

Pros

pto time,insurance-employee share program,great coworkers,

Cons

constant short staffed on units,management receives high salaries,management has own agenda -lots of politics-the hospital does not want to provide proper training any more to ensure staff are able to function on other units, hospital now functions as if ''for profit'',high turnover rate of staff,

Advice to Management

spend the time and money for proper training of employees, get rid of floating, provide coverage so staff can take lunch breaks,,

"Hmmmmm"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brown Deer, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brown Deer, WI

I have been working at Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The experience can give you a strong work ethic.

Cons

Management!!!!!!!!!!
    So many power struggles!!
    Under paid!!!!!
    Short staffed!!!
    Segregated environment!!!!
    The mentality that you can be replaced is thrown in your face.
    Underappreciated

Advice to Management

Get to know what staff go through on the unit. Respond to emails. Treat employees as people

7. "Pretty Good"

I have been working at Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) full-time

Pros

Room to Grow
    Fun Staff
    No Weekend or Holidays (in the Regional locations)
    Interesting Patients
    Yearly Raises

Cons

Pay is not great
    Some management is untrustworthy
    Holidays off are not always discussed
    Communication between management and staff is lacking

Advice to Management

Learn to praise your employees and pay them more

"New Employees (West Alis) would not reccomend!!!!!"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in West Allis, WI

I worked at Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers (floor staff), Environmentally nice building,

Cons

High turn over rate of employees, Lack of support from administration, Under staffed, Lack of experienced coworkers, Staff is easily terminated and replaced with new inexperienced staff (new grads),

Advice to Management

Apply your mission statement not only to the patients, but your employees also.

"A good place to launch a career"

Former Employee - Experiential Therapist in Oconomowoc, WI
    Former Employee - Experiential Therapist in Oconomowoc, WI

I worked at Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Experience with clients struggling with a variety of challenges across the lifespan, A broad range of clients to serve and learn from, chances to see a lot of different styles of treatment and to learn where your therapeutic style fits, group therapy helps you to obtain hours of licensure quickly, employer is well known in the area, ability to try new things and to gain exposure to a variety of CBT and DBT methods of treatment. You will learn a great number of very useful skills and will have an excellent opportunity to put learning into practice. This is a great place with a great history where you can start out doing good work in your field.

Cons

No room for personal growth or professional development, professional development is not supported whether it is attending a presentation or continuing your education so you can better serve the clients, growth is not supported by the institution as a whole despite policies that encourage it nor is growth supported by the management teams, change, and new ideas are not welcome even if it would greatly benefit the clients, little support for staff, high acuity, conditions can be unsafe at times. Expansion means that the minimal support is stretched even thinner and it can feel like it is about numbers and not quality of care. Human resources is ridiculous from the application all the way through termination, they do not respond to questions, and if you manage to get in touch with someone they will pass you around from person to person until you give up on your question or concern.

Advice to Management

Live by your mission statement(s). The work you do is good but there are so many agendas and so much expansion that the core of what you do--help clients to grow and change through difficulty--is completely lost.

10. "Depends on where you work"

I have been working at Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) full-time

Pros

There are so many different location/units/departments at rogers. I don't think that any one experience can generalize to the organization as a whole. There are units were no one lasts more than a year or so before burning out and there are other unit with happy employees who spend their entire careers there (no joke, like 20+ years). I work on one of the awesome units where people stay a long time.

The pros:
    our boss is great, she is flexible and understanding with scheduling.
    if you get sick of your job, there are a million places within the company you could transfer to if you wanted a new start
    some great co-workers
    job can fun on nights and weekends, going on outings with the residents

Cons

As with any job in mental health, you can burn out
    Some co-workers are not great and for a long time there were no consequences for unacceptable behavior (but that seems to be changing)
    Pay is not particularly competitive
    Most patients are of a high socioeconomic status (we do not accept medicare/medicaid), "rich white people" are your main patients and that feels unjust sometimes. We do not serve a diverse patient population

Advice to Management

Pump the brakes on the rapid expansion. I do not have faith that we have the infrastructure to support it yet.

"High rate of terminations (West Allis)"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (WEST ALLIS) in West Allis, WI
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (WEST ALLIS) in West Allis, WI

I worked at Rogers Memorial Hospital (Oconomowoc) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-worker cohesiveness, exposure to moderate acuity mental health setting West Allis)

Cons

Lower than average wages and benefits, recent high rate of terminations of their clinical staff, currently recruiting and hiring new clinical staff at substandard wages, administrative level of nursing management West Allis)

Advice to Management

Reexamine the ethics of nursing management specifically at your West Allis location