Rogers, Townsend & Thomas PC Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Paralegal- Foreclosure Department Review"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Rogers, Townsend & Thomas PC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely love my supervisors and coworkers, they are all more like family. Management firmly believes that family should come before work. If you have a personal issue they will assist in any way they can and are very understanding. Benefits are great however can be a little expensive compared to other places. They have an employee assistance program where the employee or their family can receive counseling through an outside source if needed. The supervisors honestly care about their employees. There's a lot of work to do at times so if you are looking for an easy/lazy job then this is not the place for you.

Cons

Job security- the layoffs have been pretty strong lately, though to no fault of the company. (Which is pretty much like that anywhere these days).
    However in their defense to that, the company as a whole is very accommodating to those who are being laid off and do not believe in just "throwing the employee to the wolves".

Employee reviews should occur more than once a year.

The job in itself can be overwhelming due to the amount of work that you are given and the many obstacles that can be thrown your way while trying to do your work.

Advice to Management

There is not much advice that i can give that management is not already aware of.

I feel that there should be a better review of employee production/dedication/loyalty when determining the people who should be laid off-there are a lot of people who work very hard and others who like to ride their shirt tails. RTT has missed out on keeping some very versatile and valuable people who have been with them for many years.

Another piece of advice is to please crosstrain as much as possible so that when one employee is overloaded or even out of work, then they next person who isn't can step in to help. Or even if the next person is laid off, this will help them be successful elsewhere also.

On a positive note- please continue to care for your employees like we all know you do. Most of us know how the hard decisions that some of you have to make daily really do effect you as much as they do the employee. I wish you all many many successful years!

2. "Some good people, but overall a weak company"

I worked at Rogers, Townsend & Thomas PC full-time

Pros

There seemed to be a good number of employee gatherings. The company was small enough that everyone knew everyone else. There was understanding about work/life balance to a point. Many lower level people had a great handle on their business, and several people have been at the company for years.

Cons

The company hemorrhaged employees during my employment, mostly because their main area of business dried up and they were too slow to compensate. There seemed to be a very "bottom line first" mentality, which led to a lot of employee turnover due to dissatisfaction. Many people, including those in management roles, engaged in the company rumor mill to a point I've never seen in my professional career. Insurance was incredibly expensive.

Advice to Management

Overall I would not recommend this company to anyone due to its instability, the propensity for upper management to not focus on staff first, and the inability to maintain flexibility as markets change.

3. "Was an okay starting job"

Pros

Relaxed Environment, great work/life balance.

Cons

Hiring people who don't know how to do their job.

"Promising future, following a time of transition"

Current Employee - Attorney in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Rogers, Townsend & Thomas PC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The renewed culture of this corporate-style firm rewards attorneys and staff who are hard-working, collaborative, creative, and business-oriented. Following a period during which the default services practice tended to diminish the relative visibility of other practice groups within the firm, Rogers Townsend is now repositioning itself to grow as a full-service firm for business clients in both Carolinas. Some of the earlier negative comments, in my view, likely come from good people who unfortunately were not able to maintain an open-minded, flexible, and responsive business focus. The firm is focused on building its client relationships through strong communication and performance. We believe that in a competitive legal services marketplace, resting on our past laurels or on our "tenure" is not an option.

Cons

The firm's considerable success in the default services marketplace over the past few decades have formed the inaccurate impression in the business community that we are "just a foreclosure firm". Effective communication between the firm's multiple offices can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Continue to challenge attorneys and staff to grow and develop our abilities to offer legal services to the business community. Continue to dedicate substantial time, energy, and resources to unified firm-wide marketing efforts.

"No longer mainly a foreclosure firm"

Current Employee - Attorney in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Rogers, Townsend & Thomas PC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Firm has transitioned from being one dominated by foreclosure work to a litigation and business development firm. When the economy improved, foreclosures declined by almost 75% and many positions in that department could no longer be supported. (That is the source of many of the negative comments in other reviews.) The litigation and business development departments have remained strong and are starting to grow. The current firm is much more streamlined.

Cons

There is a great emphasis on numerical performance. Morale is still low from the foreclosure downturn and streamlining.

Advice to Management

Need to keep employees informed of plans and why you are taking certain steps.

6. "Great Place"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Columbia, SC

I worked at Rogers, Townsend & Thomas PC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work for...good people,,,very flexible

Cons

Insurance wasnt the best and very expensive but it served its purpose!

Advice to Management

need to be more loyal to the people that have been loyal to you!

7. "Processor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Pros

Decent employer contribution to benefits.
    Good PTO

Cons

Constant lay offs, not enough compensation for the constant increase in work load due to lay offs

Advice to Management

Appreciate the employees still here, lots are trying.

8. "Good company"

I worked at Rogers, Townsend & Thomas PC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good employees that are flexible and helpful. Fun atmosphere in most departments. Management is flexible.

Cons

Benefits are expensive. Many senior employees are inflexible and resistant to changes.

Advice to Management

Develop training programs for everybody: attorneys, managers and non-managers that will help strengthen the company culture.

9. "No Job security"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I worked at Rogers, Townsend & Thomas PC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are okay, and the pay was decent.

Cons

No job security, and management does not value employees. I saw staff that had 10 + years of experience with the firm being let go, just to be replaced by cheaper employees. Senior management does not communicate well with staff. Seems that management has no clue on how to project future revenues, and other change things around just for the sake of it.

Advice to Management

Don't hire people that you can't afford! I left a good job after being heavily recruited and was laid off after several months due to downsizing. Remember that people have families to support!

10. "Paralegal"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Rogers, Townsend & Thomas PC (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is okay and some of the people are good

Cons

too many people leaving, do not get good reviews

Advice to Management

none