Roland Berger Reviews | Glassdoor

Roland Berger CEO Charles-Édouard Bouée
Charles-Édouard Bouée

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Great people, fascinating projects, opportunities for international experience"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Roland Berger full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great team throughout the US with smart people at all levels of the organization that are able to deliver high quality work while making it a fun experience for each project team
    - Highly diverse team in each office (e.g. 3 continents, 8 nationalities represented in the Boston office alone). This contributes to bringing a broad range of perspectives to the client and is an endless source of learning for team members. Great way to get a first international exposure!
    - Collaborative team spirit, fostered by management - open culture supported by management with junior team members being given lots of opportunities to contribute at an early stage (always given a seat at the table), teams encouraged to give regular structured feedback and team/office events organized regularly (soccer, drinks, volunteering)
    - Small, growing organization in the US - the US is a relatively "young" office in the Roland Berger world and is growing very fast. This is very exciting for employees at all levels and creates many opportunities for self-driven initiatives
    - Highly strategic projects for top and mid-size players in the focus industries (Chemicals, Automotive, IPS) - teams work closely with top executives of the leading firms in their field and support their development. Roland Berger is never called to do a project that is expected to stay on the bottom shelf of the cupboard!
    -Many opportunities for international experience through training (one training in Germany every one/two years on top of US and on the job trainings), project work (projects spanning across regions, projects with international travelling; projects based in Europe) and opportunities to transfer to a foreign office for high performers after 2/3 years
    - Good brand name that helps start and boost careers. Alums have gone on to top strategy positions in the industry or have created their own companies - very reflective of RB's entrepreneurial culture!

Cons

- Hours can be long like in any top tier consulting firm
    - Small size of the office means that there is often more limited choice in project assignment compared to larger offices (in Europe for example)

Advice to Management

- Keep up the good work of actively seeking, listening to and incorporating the feedback of employees (at all levels) in the firm's development - very proud of our recent wellness initiative!
    - We need to continue to recognize that our employees come from very different backgrounds and experiences and that we make sure that this is taken into account in communication and identification of training priorities

"Great work environment, fast-growing business"

I have been working at Roland Berger full-time

Pros

Roland Berger in the US is a relatively young and dynamic business which is experiencing fast growth in its focus areas (the business is more focused on specific industry sectors in the US than it is globally), increasingly taking share from more established large global US-based consultancies.
    The firm benefits from retaining a boutique feel thanks to its relatively small local size while benefiting from the scale and resources of the much larger firm than it is globally. This means that the team members know each other very well and can help each other develop.
    Team members are extremely smart - one of the smartest group of people I have worked with.
    The culture is highly entrepreneurial as the company seeks to grow and improve itself. The staff has a lot of latitude to come up with and drive firm-building initiatives.
    The work culture is very collaborative.
    The company invests significant amounts of time and money in staff development - through formal training in global locations, local training in the US with external trainers, informal pop-up training sessions, and on-the-job training.
    The management team is very open to dialogue and to taking fast decisive action on things that can be improved.

Cons

Hours can be long due to the fast growth of the company. The partners are working on addressing this The brand is not as strong as in Europe but growing in focus industry areas following large wins in the last couple of years and as a result of influential publications.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the business - it's exciting - but maintain the focus on work-life balance !

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Roland Berger full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some interesting growth strategy work

Cons

In no particular order – just listing my negative experiences
    Completely a face time culture (my mentor mentioned it’s not a face time culture but then right after says “oh yeah you should show up earlier – before everyone”
    Client were constantly disrespected (overall consultants thought they were smarter and better than the clients, often called clients slow and stupid)
    A principle after a client dinner mentioned he had the client by the **** (again really disrespectful to the client)
    Same principle mentioned he had a consultant by the **** in reference to her home purchase / mortgage
    Overall a very childish and immature work culture
    • A PM mentioned (twice) in front of her male coworkers that “there are no good looking men at our firm”
    • Another consultant threw alcohol in my drink after saying I said no to gin shots (truly an awkward social experience)
    My mentor mentioned pay in every conversation
    A piece of advice from a partner to female consultant was “be a Caucasian male”
    Overall sick culture around firing people culture - every conversation would lead to a discussion on past individuals who were fired
    On my first day (literally first day) a PM threatened to fire me and another junior consultant
    All PMs I worked for would always tell stories about people who were fired and how they survived
    At a dinner - one consultant told a story about how his feedback got a junior fired and an intern’s offer pulled
    Regularly worked until 2 - 4 am on engagement (PM and partners were not very organized)
    Worst partner experience was a partner had a shouting match with a consultant in the office which finished with partner saying “I pay you so do what I say”
    Partners are not really interested in development or employees well being
    • I had my intro training canceled without my knowledge
    • A consultant had to reschedule her vacation twice
    • A principle had me go back to the office at 2 am so I can pull new CAP IQ number
    There was a CAP IQ machine with one login everyone shared - everyone had to pretend to be Chris

Advice to Management

Grow up and understand that people are your best assets in consulting

Roland Berger Response

Jul 21, 2018 – Head of Global HR Marketing & Recruiting

In response to this posting we want our readers to know that we take feedback very seriously and we will further investigate the reasons for this report. We take pride in making sure the candidate... More

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Roland Berger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Extremely interesting projects for large & global companies

Cons

Small companies (if you like a full supporting structure)

5. "Working environment"

Current Employee - PTA
    Current Employee - PTA

I have been working at Roland Berger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall positive working environment, nice supervisor and manageable workload

Cons

Would loved it if there is more training programs and opportunity to meet other teammates in the firm (currently working remotely)

6. "it is a good company"

Former Employee - PTA
    Former Employee - PTA

I worked at Roland Berger part-time

Pros

as a part-time assistant, I learned a lot during the internship

Cons

It's hard to meet big name clients in Tier 2 consulting firm

7. "Junior Consultant"

I worked at Roland Berger full-time

Pros

International opportunities, strong M&A practice, the "living brand"

Cons

Zero mentorship, you succeed in spite of leadership, weak brand recognition in the states

Advice to Management

The US practice should never be an afterthought

8. "Decent Mangement Consulting Firm"

I worked at Roland Berger full-time

Pros

Diverse exposure to different industries and companies

Cons

Lots of business traveling, uncertain career development track

9. "RB"

I worked at Roland Berger part-time

Pros

Friendly people and nice environment. Good boss and college

Cons

workload a big too much

Advice to Management

Really considerate

"Good"

Former Employee - Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Roland Berger (Less than a year)

Pros

Good experience. Fantastic company. The boss is willing to teach you a lot of things.

Cons

Too many stuffs to do and you should always work overtime