Rolls-Royce Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rolls-Royce CEO Warren East
Warren East

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work Life Balance is great, its really a great place to work (in 84 reviews)

• Stable work environment (lots of 25 year-ers) there (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance was a joke as I was on travel for as much as 8 months at a time with only a few trips allowed back home (in 15 reviews)

• Hidebound in some of its processes; some senior management slightly too in thrall to external consultants (in 22 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Vice President in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Vice President in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. Ability to move roles. People have a passion for their product and is something that everyone uses.

Cons

It can very processed focused and slow. Ran by engineers so things are through, but tend to move at a slow pace.

Advice to Management

Cut the processes. More empowerment to management

2. "Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Vernon, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Vernon, OH

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging and interesting product line at Rolls-Royce Energy Systems

Cons

Management too top heavy with unqualified people.

Advice to Management

Irrelevant now since they were bought out by Siemens.

"Not the worst, but far from the best."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Challenging Work
    - Global opportunities
    - Location
    - Compensation
    - Retirement

Working (and living) in Indianapolis has it's perks. It's a small, but lively city with a low-cost of living. I can walk to the mall for lunch and grab a Starbucks on my way back all in less than 30 minutes. Or take a run and utilize the office showers.
    I love the work I do in the defense industry and feel as though I'm compensated well, but it takes a strong and assertive person to be happy in this company. You will be expected to solve your own problems and show initiative. You will have to find and chase people. It gives you an opportunity to learn and challenge yourself.
    RR is a global company. If you're lucky and open to possibilities this company can carry you many places.
    Retirement benefits are great. They match $1:$1 up to 5%, I believe, and you're immediately vested 100%. Additionally the company adds an extra 3% to your 401k annually which is vested after 3 years. PTO allocation and the mandated 2 weeks rollover can be improved. There are no sick days.

Cons

- Promotions are biased.
    - People are lazy and closed-minded.
    - Diversity.
    - Management training.
    - Training (what training?)
    - Recognition (what recognition?)
    - No accountability.

I didn't have my orientation for weeks after I was hired (this should be on day 1!). Training was a joke. I was shown a process once and asked to replicate it a month later. It's very much a sink or swim mentality. Expect no award or recognition for your contribution to the company.
    Many of my coworkers came straight from college, internship or have otherwised worked at RR so long they have become complacent and closed-minded. It's very hard to get people to identify processes and become proactive instead of reactive. Some are lazy, and only care to take the easy road, not the most beneficial or realistic. Management needs training, lots of training. They lack social skills, fostering and the ability to lead. They micromanage, show preferential treatment, lack delegation and communication skills. Promotions are extremely disappointing... they're based mostly on networking and likability, not merit and accomplishments. A most important failure for me by this company is their inability to understand the importance of diversity and cultivate an environment where all people are welcomed and promoted regardless of your race, religion, gender, or sexual-orientation. You will see little to no minorities in leadership roles which makes people question how far they (as a minority) can grow within the company.

Advice to Management

Employees receive numerous surveys throughout the year, so management is already aware. Do something with the information you have.

"Discriminates"

Current Employee - Turbine Design in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Turbine Design in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting products for the aerospace industry.

Cons

There is unfortunately a "Frat Boy" mentality in the Indianapolis workplace. In other words, if you are not a white male, you might as well get used to not being promoted simply because you are not the managers buddy. This has been an issue as long as I have worked here. I see people being promoted, or given responsibilities that in no way they have proven they deserve. This gives our competitors a big advantage. Men and women of color gravitate to GE, Pratt or any of the other power plant manufacturers. Very sad to see this talent go out the door and move a few states over. This is an attitude that has been embedded from the top down to about the middle manager levels. One only has to look at the pictures on the organization charts to see this. The only remedy is to expose this kind of behavior, either in the press or shrinking business. Either way they need to fix this problem and move into the 21st century.

Advice to Management

Quit while you have a chance of not being sued.

"Difficult to ever see changes, management very short sighted and often slf centered"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

OK pay. The Plants have some great real world learning, testing, machining, assembly.

Cons

I have literally seen numerous managers who are clearly high on the sociopath scale. Caring only about themselves, able to make a good first impression, but then it quickly becomes clear that all ideas must come from them and you had better agree with them, lying seems to be a way of life, expecatations that an average worker must wear dress pants everyday but if they don't it is ok because they worked late the day before. Very two faced company. Also, every year our benefits get worse and worse, and our health care is now pretty much left for us to pay. Being an engineer and now being miles from any of the actual product is a real loss, something to be said for putting your hands on your part, or seeing the machine it is made on.

Advice to Management

There are personality tests, start looking for your sociopaths. I have seen one guy promoted, after having mutiple affairs at work, even sending one of his own employees home to look the new hot girl up on gacebook so he could find out what she was into and hit on her. I have seen this same guy, make his intern cry because he could only to comment to his highschool buddy that he hired, how much fun that was. He is now an executive there - OMG wow, management needs help!

"Great place to work, on boarding could use some work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, stable company, people seem to care what they do.

Cons

Agile work environment means no one has a space to call their own.

Advice to Management

Work on on boarding process. Give people the access they need right away, not have them hit a brick wall, and then figure out what they need to do their job. Some processes seem to take forever as people are not sure of who needs to be asked for what.

"Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rolls Royce Benefits are excellent - there are a lot of opportunities to move laterally - the technology is very interesting

Cons

It is a very old boys club. Underperformers get moved around, the culture is back biting and stressful

Advice to Management

Measure people on performance - not opinions of one disgruntled manager in a meeting. Train on the value of diversity, not just talk about it.

"Slowly sinking"

Current Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Have many good friends that I can depend on. The pay is competitive in this area.

Cons

This place is an unfortunate downward spiral. They are depending on products that were designed 30,40,50 years ago while their competitors are moving ahead. There is a general fear of innovation. Chief engineers would rather fight a good idea, than be seen backing it. They are truly scared of expressing a curiosity in new technologies, since their bosses might ask them about it. And for good reason. If an idea or trade study does not pan out, they will never forget about it year after year.

Advice to Management

You are falling way behind in the game as you pat yourselves on the back.

9. "Good paying job"

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Pay
    Always Busy
    Learn a lot
    Hands on experience
    Yearly Merrit increase every year
    Chance to travel
    Customer Focused

Cons

Management makes decisions behind the backs of employees.
    Very hard to move up
    Very Busy
    Union ran shop makes it hard to find workers who do more than the just the minimum

Advice to Management

Get rid of the Union.

"Stay far away!!"

Former Employee - Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay starting out. They pay hourly for engineers which is apparently pretty uncommon in the industry. Can make some good money if overtime is applicable, but your work/life suffers.

9/80 schedule for part of the year is nice in the summer.

Cons

There are "cliques" within the company, favorites within management, and it's pretty obvious. You know where you stand.

Lunch is 45 minutes, just let people decide between 1/2 or 1 hour.

Watch what you say and to whom you say it. Management favorites will throw you under the bus any chance they get to cover themselves.

Management is also two faced, they will listen to your concerns and act like they care, they don't. They do what's best for them as they see fit.

Same goes for HR, they are useless.

Unethical work environment, you are expected to share or use someone else's VPN secure access tokens, this is plain wrong! Did I also mention unethical!

This place is toxic.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! If they have an issue, do something about it! Don't act like you care, lead people on, then punish them. They might actually do good for the company if you get them in the right position.

Also, don't train employees to be ethical, then turn around and fire them for contesting unethical behavior on the job. You wonder why the turnover rate was so high before you leaned out the company.

And hold your supervisors accountable for providing their teams with the tools they need to succeed at their job!