Rolls-Royce Reviews | Glassdoor

Rolls-Royce CEO Warren East
Warren East

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance was a joke as I was on travel for as much as 8 months at a time with only a few trips allowed back home (in 15 reviews)

• Hidebound in some of its processes; some senior management slightly too in thrall to external consultants (in 23 reviews)

"Disfunctional management"

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time

Pros

None I can think of

Cons

Managers play favorites, to the point where reviews and promotions are meaningless. Some of these managers are so entrenched that HR cannot touch them. To do so would require confronting a senior manager concerning one of their favorite subordinates. Most employees, when you mention certain names are aware of this behavior. Instead of addressing this matter, people are just waiting for these old guys to finally retire. The problem continues, impacting the morale of the workforce. Once these managers trap you with their myopic opinion, you cannot transfer or move to a difference position.

Advice to Management

Encourage certain people to retire either volunterily or by layoff.

"Toxic Work Place"

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The name on your resume

Cons

Severe lack of diversity, a bunch of sub par mediocre unqualified managers who micro-manage, delegate every aspect of their job because they lack the skills to perform their job and make you feel like if you can't do ten individuals job in a day, something is wrong with you. Very dated culture representative of 70 years ago. The promote poor leaders who are ineffective just because of tenure and so there is no innovation or progressiveness. Intimidated by talent. All systems to escalate are a joke.

Advice to Management

Change the toxic culture. There is a diverse talent pool that you run out of the organization instead of supporting. Invest in your employees and top promoting people just because they look like you and make you comfortable. Stop talking out both sides of your mouth saying want people to be themselves but don't be yourself if it's different than me. Stop micro-managing. People make your company viable. Treat them like that.

"Difficult to ever see changes, management very short sighted and often slf centered"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

OK pay. The Plants have some great real world learning, testing, machining, assembly.

Cons

I have literally seen numerous managers who are clearly high on the sociopath scale. Caring only about themselves, able to make a good first impression, but then it quickly becomes clear that all ideas must come from them and you had better agree with them, lying seems to be a way of life, expecatations that an average worker must wear dress pants everyday but if they don't it is ok because they worked late the day before. Very two faced company. Also, every year our benefits get worse and worse, and our health care is now pretty much left for us to pay. Being an engineer and now being miles from any of the actual product is a real loss, something to be said for putting your hands on your part, or seeing the machine it is made on.

Advice to Management

There are personality tests, start looking for your sociopaths. I have seen one guy promoted, after having mutiple affairs at work, even sending one of his own employees home to look the new hot girl up on gacebook so he could find out what she was into and hit on her. I have seen this same guy, make his intern cry because he could only to comment to his highschool buddy that he hired, how much fun that was. He is now an executive there - OMG wow, management needs help!

"Senior Manager"

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time

Pros

Rolls-Royce brand opens doors and establishes an expectation of high quality.

Cons

Like many large companies, RR is managed to maximize shareholder confidence and satisfaction at the cost of keeping the underling business relevant and viable. The company survives primarily on its former reputation and is doing nothing significant to change the decline of market share. Any growth in the last decade has come from acquisitions, many of which are outside core competencies and not profitable.
    Not a place for people looking to grow their career in an innovative culture.
    If you are considering the company, do yourself a favor and look at the long term decline of the stock (and the underlying reasons) and recent corruption issues.

Advice to Management

Shed the divisions that are loosing money and get back to genuine core competencies. Update the business model and processes to remain competitive before it's too late.

"Stay far away!!"

Former Employee - Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay starting out. They pay hourly for engineers which is apparently pretty uncommon in the industry. Can make some good money if overtime is applicable, but your work/life suffers.

9/80 schedule for part of the year is nice in the summer.

Cons

There are "cliques" within the company, favorites within management, and it's pretty obvious. You know where you stand.

Lunch is 45 minutes, just let people decide between 1/2 or 1 hour.

Watch what you say and to whom you say it. Management favorites will throw you under the bus any chance they get to cover themselves.

Management is also two faced, they will listen to your concerns and act like they care, they don't. They do what's best for them as they see fit.

Same goes for HR, they are useless.

Unethical work environment, you are expected to share or use someone else's VPN secure access tokens, this is plain wrong! Did I also mention unethical!

This place is toxic.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! If they have an issue, do something about it! Don't act like you care, lead people on, then punish them. They might actually do good for the company if you get them in the right position.

Also, don't train employees to be ethical, then turn around and fire them for contesting unethical behavior on the job. You wonder why the turnover rate was so high before you leaned out the company.

And hold your supervisors accountable for providing their teams with the tools they need to succeed at their job!

"Finance Service Center"

Current Employee - Finance in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Finance in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company benefits are good.

Cons

Management within the service center lacks trust and knowledge of departments and processes. They aren't capable to move this group to the next level. Much turnover within this area.

"Scheduler"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I thought I hired me as a planner. When I got there they made me a scheduler which was ok. The job itself was fine

Cons

They wrongfully terminated me. I went in to work and had some kind of medical problem which eventually was determined as panic attack. The hospital and RR requested I take some time off. I did not want but they inisisted. They said take two weeks sick leave. I did. When I returned, they laid me off. Horrible ppl. If I hadnt been so broke down about it, I would have sued.

Advice to Management

People are not things. Respect humans

"Job to pay bills in between company induced Heart Attacks"

Former Employee - EMC Test Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - EMC Test Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay check. Co-workers (not management) were good to work with.

Cons

Super high pressure to get the job done sooner than humanly possible. Management only interested in pushing harder due to mismanagement of projects and not knowing how to tell the customer we don't have enough resources to do two (or more) projects at the same, or overlapping, time(s). Management doesn't recognize when people are physically ill or have health problems and continue to push until they drop (from heart attacks in my case). Archaic processes, outdated "beatings will continue until morale improves" mindset, outdated IT systems (used MS Windows XP until MS dropped it), LOOOOOONGG approval processes, too many layers of management. The biggest Con is the ultra micro-management. They don't want you to do anything without getting approvals first. Work/Life balance was a joke as I was on travel for as much as 8 months at a time with only a few trips allowed back home.

Advice to Management

Learn to trust your people. Just because you have managers doesn't mean they have to manage every working moment of those people. They have brains, let them use their brains to make decision, but let them be human and make mistakes, and then take responsibility for those mistakes and correct them. It is the only way they can learn and grow.

9. "This was one of the worst jobs I've had in my career."

Former Contractor - Logistics Analyst in Pooler, GA
    Former Contractor - Logistics Analyst in Pooler, GA

I worked at Rolls-Royce as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The actual job is very simple and easy to comprehend then execute. The hours and pay are not bad at all.

Cons

The management and some staff are unbelievably rude and has major character flaws. They will lie to the boss to make themselves look good in the eyes of the company and that includes lying on co-workers. This place needs to be investigated by an ethics committee.

Advice to Management

Management needs to take time and actually sit with their workers (including contractors) and ask questions instead of listening to who's been there the longest. There is a lot of indecent actions that take place on the job site.

10. "Rolls-Royce Dangerous Airplanes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay you well, very well. They have to so you will keep their secrets.

Cons

They send untrained mechanics who are unfamiliar with the engines to do inspections on our military bases.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to a U.S owned entity before Americans pay with their lives.

Showing 66 of 1,014 reviews