Rolls-Royce Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 15, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance was a joke as I was on travel for as much as 8 months at a time with only a few trips allowed back home (in 15 reviews)

• Hidebound in some of its processes; some senior management slightly too in thrall to external consultants (in 23 reviews)

"Great for getting a lot of experience"

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time

Pros

Lots of great people, interesting business, and products. Get to experience a lot.

Cons

A ton of bureaucracy and high upper-management turnover means that metrics you are measured against tend to change with each new 'administration.'

Can be high-pressure.

"Horrible Management"

Current Employee - HSE Specialist
    Current Employee - HSE Specialist

I have been working at Rolls-Royce (More than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers to work with

Cons

Management team is very lacking on how to take care of their people

"Lots of work"

Current Employee - Test Technician in Cypress, CA
    Current Employee - Test Technician in Cypress, CA

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is great diversity of people working together to solve every day problems that may occur. A great atmosphere and great facilities.

Cons

Competitive pay may be be lacking compared to other companies around the the area.

4. "Graduate development engineer"

Current Employee - Graduate Development Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Graduate Development Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great company, great work, great people

Cons

Don't really take into account your master's degree

Advice to Management

Its not all about years of experience

5. "Good People and Interesting Work"

Former Employee - Engineering Superv in Pitts, PA
    Former Employee - Engineering Superv in Pitts, PA

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Looks of good people who helped make the day go by. The work can be very technical and interesting if you are interested in nuclear power generation. They are willing to accommodate you with personal issues and needs.

Pay is competitive for starting engineers. They also have a new advancement program for new engineers which will grant you a nice pay bump after completing a tailored training program.

Cons

This is not actually Rolls-Royce, but PKMJ Technical Services d.b.a. Rolls-Royce. PKMJ was a small family run engineering contractor for Nuclear Sites which blossomed into a much larger company. Rolls-Royce bought them out in 2011/2012, but all of the old management team and owners are still in charge, so it's sort of an "old boy's club".

Nuclear power is being hit hard right now, with a lot of sites shutting down prior to the end of their licenses. Two new reactors in South Carolina which were being built were just cancelled. I would not recommend going into a company who's only market is nuclear power generation if you plan on making it a long term commitment. They've had a lot of turnover in the past year due to this and a lot of cuts to contracts and order intake.

Training is mainly on the job and not very comprehensive. There is a new program, but it has not been implemented well, and mid level engineers are sort of stuck in limbo with advancement programs until it is resolved. Currently, a lot of the new hires a couple years out of college make more than guys who have 5-6 times the experience.

Benefits package is lacking; only one option for health insurances and 2% 401k matching. The insurance is good, but it's expensive and difficult to deal with, especially if you have a family.

Advice to Management

Communicate better to lower level employees, improve the training and advancement program.

6. "Rolls-Royce North America Review"

Former Employee - Superintendent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Superintendent in Houston, TX

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reputable Company that is well known globally.

Cons

Corporate processes get in the way.

"Toxic Work Place"

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The name on your resume

Cons

Severe lack of diversity, a bunch of sub par mediocre unqualified managers who micro-manage, delegate every aspect of their job because they lack the skills to perform their job and make you feel like if you can't do ten individuals job in a day, something is wrong with you. Very dated culture representative of 70 years ago. The promote poor leaders who are ineffective just because of tenure and so there is no innovation or progressiveness. Intimidated by talent. All systems to escalate are a joke.

Advice to Management

Change the toxic culture. There is a diverse talent pool that you run out of the organization instead of supporting. Invest in your employees and top promoting people just because they look like you and make you comfortable. Stop talking out both sides of your mouth saying want people to be themselves but don't be yourself if it's different than me. Stop micro-managing. People make your company viable. Treat them like that.

"Not the worst, but far from the best."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Challenging Work
    - Global opportunities
    - Location
    - Compensation
    - Retirement

Working (and living) in Indianapolis has it's perks. It's a small, but lively city with a low-cost of living. I can walk to the mall for lunch and grab a Starbucks on my way back all in less than 30 minutes. Or take a run and utilize the office showers.
    I love the work I do in the defense industry and feel as though I'm compensated well, but it takes a strong and assertive person to be happy in this company. You will be expected to solve your own problems and show initiative. You will have to find and chase people. It gives you an opportunity to learn and challenge yourself.
    RR is a global company. If you're lucky and open to possibilities this company can carry you many places.
    Retirement benefits are great. They match $1:$1 up to 5%, I believe, and you're immediately vested 100%. Additionally the company adds an extra 3% to your 401k annually which is vested after 3 years. PTO allocation and the mandated 2 weeks rollover can be improved. There are no sick days.

Cons

- Promotions are biased.
    - People are lazy and closed-minded.
    - Diversity.
    - Management training.
    - Training (what training?)
    - Recognition (what recognition?)
    - No accountability.

I didn't have my orientation for weeks after I was hired (this should be on day 1!). Training was a joke. I was shown a process once and asked to replicate it a month later. It's very much a sink or swim mentality. Expect no award or recognition for your contribution to the company.
    Many of my coworkers came straight from college, internship or have otherwised worked at RR so long they have become complacent and closed-minded. It's very hard to get people to identify processes and become proactive instead of reactive. Some are lazy, and only care to take the easy road, not the most beneficial or realistic. Management needs training, lots of training. They lack social skills, fostering and the ability to lead. They micromanage, show preferential treatment, lack delegation and communication skills. Promotions are extremely disappointing... they're based mostly on networking and likability, not merit and accomplishments. A most important failure for me by this company is their inability to understand the importance of diversity and cultivate an environment where all people are welcomed and promoted regardless of your race, religion, gender, or sexual-orientation. You will see little to no minorities in leadership roles which makes people question how far they (as a minority) can grow within the company.

Advice to Management

Employees receive numerous surveys throughout the year, so management is already aware. Do something with the information you have.

9. "Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Vernon, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Vernon, OH

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging and interesting product line at Rolls-Royce Energy Systems

Cons

Management too top heavy with unqualified people.

Advice to Management

Irrelevant now since they were bought out by Siemens.

10. "Excellent"

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Wanted to move to Bristol site from Derby but couldn’t..

Advice to Management

Keep doing the good work..

Showing 901 of 1,103 reviews