Roman and Williams Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Robin Standefer and Stephen Alesch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Buyer"

Pros

Interesting business ventures to be a part of

Cons

Very unorganized environment and little to no comraderie.

2. "Avoid!"

I worked at Roman and Williams full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big name company, love my team! Employees are amazing, it’s a shame to have them leave due to abuse

Cons

Where do I begin? Top management is narcissistic unprofessional and verbally abusive, literally. Get your experience and run.

Advice to Management

Let someone else run the place before you run off all the good staff.

"At first beloved, then abused. The cycle goes on and on."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Roman and Williams full-time

Pros

Most of the design team is absolutely lovely, hard-working, and very talented. The projects are great, and give you hands-on experience. I made great connections for my future. I learned incredible skills and how to have a thick skin (but eventually became numb however) and handle stress.

Cons

I first started out feeling like a valued member of this company. I loved my work, I loved the people I worked with. As soon as I started working directly with the top management, one particular principal, everything turned. If I made a mistake, I was berated, yelled at, and embarrassed in front of my peers. I was afraid to pick up the phone for fear that I would be put down. And, I was not the only who feared and stressed each day wondering if I would be verbally abused. I was put down, sometimes it would even get personal. This is not a place to grow. This is not a place to feel supported. This place only exists to bolster the egomaniacs that run it.

Everything is for them, and you as an individual will never be genuinely be valued. You will work long, long hours for no recognition. I'm taking the time to write this so that people can truly listen and hear that there is real abuse here. Unfortunately, I am not the only one. One employee opened a lawsuit with the Better Business Bureau before me. The average statistic for turnover: 1-2 people per MONTH. This is a small studio: 30 people. There is no paycheck that I would want to receive that would make this job opportunity worth it. None.

Advice to Management

Go to therapy.

"intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Roman and Williams as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

fun projects
    well involved in project development

Cons

Uptight culture
    Demanding management
    long hours

Advice to Management

Develop more of a peer relationship where employees feel valued

"Bootcamp for the ones with energy and enough stamina to block out the daily verbal abuse!"

Former Employee - Intermediate Architect in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intermediate Architect in New York, NY

I worked at Roman and Williams full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team with a lot of talent, especially the principals. Very creative and always striving for the highest standards.
    Some weekend pay for overtime.

Cons

Very little to no contact with the principals. High stress, high pressure environment. Unstructured management, top heavy, too many people giving different or conflicting information. VEEEEEERY long unpaid hours on a consisten basis. A lot of verbal abuse and condescending behavior due to stree which lead to very tense team members that all seem to turn into lonely fighers. No team spirit.
    Not a good learning environment. Extremely high turn-over, so information on current or previous projects is impossible to get to.

Advice to Management

More personal contact and support goes a long way.
    People are clearly not in this business for the money, but for the work and the people they connect with. A 'TEAM' will always achieve more than a single person, but if you are being treated like a factory worker that is easily replacable then it's just too easy, and at times essential, to detach yourself from the product that you are creating and the poeple that are connected with that product. It's a waste of energy and talent of what could be a potentially awesome firm.