Ron Jon Surf Shop Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 14, 2019

Found 59 reviews

2.8
Debra Harvey
Pros
  • "Guaranteed hours, PTO if full time, somewhat decent benefits(in 9 reviews)

• "It's a set schedule and guaranteed 40 hrs a week all year(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Too many employees and management that have been here too long and parked in place, not a lot of change happening and makes it difficult to move up(in 2 reviews)

• "They worry way too much about the little things even if you're doing a great job(in 2 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Ron Jon Surf Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Corporate support, care about employees

Cons

A set schedule not very flexible for staffing especially in a seasonal beach town

Advice to Management

General Managers make a team

Ron Jon Surf Shop2019-02-07
  2. "Stellar summer job for students"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Orange Beach, AL

I worked at Ron Jon Surf Shop full-time for less than a year

Pros

Full-time positions, consistent hours, over-time pay, decent pay for entry level, professional management, and thorough training.

Cons

Strict dress code for a retail job. We had 1 general manager and 3 assistant managers whose differences in management style and process often conflicted, so that lead to confusion over store functions sometimes.

Ron Jon Surf Shop2019-06-14
  3. "Retail shop oriented towards tourists and surfers"

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Ron Jon Surf Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Simple retail work, fold shirts, sell skateboards, surfboards, surf equipment, interact with customers, learn about surf culture, nice stores, cool co workers, fun environment to begin learning about sales. The employee discounts are nice.

Cons

Very repetitive, no commission, micro-management, everything in the stores is observed so much in person and thru cameras that some coworkers called it The Bank since you were constantly being recorded. Talking with coworkers is frowned upon and some managers do not always understand what the product they are asking you to sell. Visual merchandising creativity is limited and new ideas are not taken in consideration....

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees specially the younger generation, they are the ones who represent those who will end up deciding thru their spending whether the brand survives or goes the way of the dinosaurs. Stop trying to be the Walmart of surf shops and begin to focus on other water sports such as wakeboarding, bodyboarding, kiteboarding as well as fishing and even other sports like like motocross or biking. Walmart...

Ron Jon Surf Shop2019-06-11
  4. "Micromanage not trusted high school stuff"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cocoa Beach, FL

I worked at Ron Jon Surf Shop full-time for less than a year

Pros

As far as being an assistant manager goes what I liked was having a set schedule and 2 days off in a row. You don’t get that in other retail stores.

Cons

The manager in charge doesn’t have managements back at all. As a manager I was bullied by employees when I went to my boss they sided with the associates. I had other associates come to me about the same thing bullying and they did nothing so the associates would no call no show. Turn over is awful. The scheduling doesn’t make since. I could go on and on.

Advice to Management

it doesn’t matter they don’t listen

Ron Jon Surf Shop2019-04-30
  5. "Some Great Benefits!"

I have been working at Ron Jon Surf Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, flexible work schedules, great store discount!

Cons

Pay is not competitive with the surrounding job market.

Ron Jon Surf Shop2019-03-02
  6. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cocoa Beach, FL

I have been working at Ron Jon Surf Shop full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with and a great stepping stone job to get you were you need to go. We are all full time with pto and insurance.

Cons

There is not a lot of room for growth. Once your trained in all departments that as far as you really go.

Advice to Management

Let more people train when they want to.

Ron Jon Surf Shop2019-01-30

"Worst management ever"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cocoa Beach, FL

I worked at Ron Jon Surf Shop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

40hours and benefits , same days off in a row

Cons

Managers don’t care!!!!! They play around with the young kids and the older and more responsible you are the crappier you get treated. And God forbid do NOT confide n a manager because it will be all over the store.

Advice to Management

Find another job the GM needs to get rid of all of you except Jason. Corporate treats him like crap yet he does his job. Also stop giving low paying corporate employees access to the cameras in the store because they think they got power and tell everyone everything!!! It’s a joke

Ron Jon Surf Shop2019-02-02
  8. "Retail Associate"

I worked at Ron Jon Surf Shop full-time

Pros

Same days off every week

Cons

Managers are lazy, GM have always been power hungry or super lazy and couldn’t care less about employees unless they were young, blonde and cute. Corporate is a bunch of egotistical, self centered over paid, hypocritical spies. The good employees are treated poorly and then fired for petty situations that they had no control over. Poor company all the way around, it’s all about the money they care nothing for their employees...

Advice to Management

Grow up, treat your employees like humans and reward them for outstanding customer service and fire the lazy, drunk, drugged out ones. You can get more with honey than vinegar. Stop worrying about length of shorts or petty stuff. It’s a surf shop in Cocoa Beach! Have Fun and get with the times.

Ron Jon Surf Shop2019-02-02
  9. "Help Desk Analyst"

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ron Jon Surf Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible and great entry level tech position for newbies. Opportunities to move up!

Cons

There could be better continuing education opportunities for certifications and training.

Advice to Management

Managers need to be on the same page.

Ron Jon Surf Shop2018-12-12

Ron Jon Surf Shop Response

March 12, 2019HR Director

This is not our company.

10. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Ron Jon Surf Shop

Pros

Guaranteed hours, PTO if full time, somewhat decent benefits. At least with my store the managers were awesome.

Cons

Pay is horrible! People who scoop ice cream make more than Ron Jons. Corporate constantly watches over you and calls the store if you’re doing the slightest thing such as leaning on the table when it’s dead slow. Standing all day long. Very difficult to get a day off or even something simple as calling in late.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you guys are doing

Ron Jon Surf Shop2018-09-07