Ron Jon Surf Shop Reviews | Glassdoor

Ron Jon Surf Shop Reviews

Updated Jun 14, 2019

Found 57 reviews

2.8
Ron Jon Surf Shop CEO Debra Harvey (no image)
Debra Harvey
  1. "Stellar summer job for students"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Orange Beach, AL

I worked at Ron Jon Surf Shop full-time for less than a year

Pros

Full-time positions, consistent hours, over-time pay, decent pay for entry level, professional management, and thorough training.

Cons

Strict dress code for a retail job. We had 1 general manager and 3 assistant managers whose differences in management style and process often conflicted, so that lead to confusion over store functions sometimes.

Ron Jon Surf Shop2019-06-14
  2. "Retail shop oriented towards tourists and surfers"

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Ron Jon Surf Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Simple retail work, fold shirts, sell skateboards, surfboards, surf equipment, interact with customers, learn about surf culture, nice stores, cool co workers, fun environment to begin learning about sales. The employee discounts are nice.

Cons

Very repetitive, no commission, micro-management, everything in the stores is observed so much in person and thru cameras that some coworkers called it The Bank since you were constantly being recorded. Talking with coworkers is frowned upon and some managers do not always understand what the product they are asking you to sell. Visual merchandising creativity is limited and new ideas are not taken in... consideration. The company seems to be stuck in the 80s and 90s and the prices do not always match the quality of the gear.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees specially the younger generation, they are the ones who represent those who will end up deciding thru their spending whether the brand survives or goes the way of the dinosaurs. Stop trying to be the Walmart of surf shops and begin to focus on other water sports such as wakeboarding, bodyboarding, kiteboarding as well as fishing and even other sports like like motocross or biking.... Walmart already sells what you sell and a lot cheaper too. Extreme sports are here to stay and they are dominated by people from different backgrounds. Bring in diversity to the administrative levels as well, most co workers were not even bilingual and could not communicate with large amounts of tourists. Every time the company executives came to visit we all noticed they couldn't even ride most of the equipment or were not willing to learn the details of what we were were selling. There is an obvious dissonance between corporate thinking of what customers want and what customers actually were looking for. I enjoyed working at the store and I am also a surfer so I was able to see things from both sides. Do not be afraid to change certain parts of your business model. Good luck!

Ron Jon Surf Shop2019-06-11
  3. "Micromanage not trusted high school stuff"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cocoa Beach, FL

I worked at Ron Jon Surf Shop full-time for less than a year

Pros

As far as being an assistant manager goes what I liked was having a set schedule and 2 days off in a row. You don’t get that in other retail stores.

Cons

The manager in charge doesn’t have managements back at all. As a manager I was bullied by employees when I went to my boss they sided with the associates. I had other associates come to me about the same thing bullying and they did nothing so the associates would no call no show. Turn over is awful. The scheduling doesn’t make since. I could go on and on.

Advice to Management

it doesn’t matter they don’t listen

Ron Jon Surf Shop2019-04-30
  4. "Some Great Benefits!"

I have been working at Ron Jon Surf Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, flexible work schedules, great store discount!

Cons

Pay is not competitive with the surrounding job market.

Ron Jon Surf Shop2019-03-02
  5. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Ron Jon Surf Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Corporate support, care about employees

Cons

A set schedule not very flexible for staffing especially in a seasonal beach town

Advice to Management

General Managers make a team

Ron Jon Surf Shop2019-02-07

"Retail Associate"

I worked at Ron Jon Surf Shop full-time

Pros

Same days off every week

Cons

Managers are lazy, GM have always been power hungry or super lazy and couldn’t care less about employees unless they were young, blonde and cute. Corporate is a bunch of egotistical, self centered over paid, hypocritical spies. The good employees are treated poorly and then fired for petty situations that they had no control over. Poor company all the way around, it’s all about the money they care nothing for their... employees to them you are a number.

Advice to Management

Grow up, treat your employees like humans and reward them for outstanding customer service and fire the lazy, drunk, drugged out ones. You can get more with honey than vinegar. Stop worrying about length of shorts or petty stuff. It’s a surf shop in Cocoa Beach! Have Fun and get with the times.

Ron Jon Surf Shop2019-02-02

"Worst management ever"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cocoa Beach, FL

I worked at Ron Jon Surf Shop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

40hours and benefits , same days off in a row

Cons

Managers don’t care!!!!! They play around with the young kids and the older and more responsible you are the crappier you get treated. And God forbid do NOT confide n a manager because it will be all over the store.

Advice to Management

Find another job the GM needs to get rid of all of you except Jason. Corporate treats him like crap yet he does his job. Also stop giving low paying corporate employees access to the cameras in the store because they think they got power and tell everyone everything!!! It’s a joke

Ron Jon Surf Shop2019-02-02
  8. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cocoa Beach, FL

I have been working at Ron Jon Surf Shop full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with and a great stepping stone job to get you were you need to go. We are all full time with pto and insurance.

Cons

There is not a lot of room for growth. Once your trained in all departments that as far as you really go.

Advice to Management

Let more people train when they want to.

Ron Jon Surf Shop2019-01-30
  9. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Ron Jon Surf Shop

Pros

Guaranteed hours, PTO if full time, somewhat decent benefits. At least with my store the managers were awesome.

Cons

Pay is horrible! People who scoop ice cream make more than Ron Jons. Corporate constantly watches over you and calls the store if you’re doing the slightest thing such as leaning on the table when it’s dead slow. Standing all day long. Very difficult to get a day off or even something simple as calling in late.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you guys are doing

Ron Jon Surf Shop2018-09-07
  10. "It's a job that pays my bills"

I have been working at Ron Jon Surf Shop

Pros

It's a set schedule and guaranteed 40 hrs a week all year

Cons

There is no consistency with management they would rather make the ones of who actually work do twice as much instead of making the other associates actually work none of the managers care anymore but they expect for the associates to care and lead by example I honestly feel like it's a joke we have people knowingly coming to work drunk bringing alcohol in the building and the managers put him on a register instead... of sending him home

Advice to Management

Consistency is key you shouldn't expect associates to do what your not willing to do quit trying to be everyone friend and actually manage

Ron Jon Surf Shop2018-07-29