Ronco Communications & Electronics Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time

Pros

Family Owned Business. Focused on the employees.

Cons

Due to an unseen event it has taken time redirect and focus

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the staff and grow

2. "Avoid this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time

Pros

Seen as a powerhouse in the industry

Cons

Not enough space to type. Micromanagement runs deep through the company. Raises are non existent. Benefits are minimum. Support is combative rather than encouraging. There are no less than 5 people that will tell you that you did something wrong, and none will commend on a job well done. Co-workers look out only for themselves. Sales practices border on illegal and the very least are morally reprehensible.

Advice to Management

get your act together. Listen to employees. Offer raises for cost of living, as well as merit.

"50 Year Old Company with Roots"

Current Employee - Network Specialist in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Network Specialist in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work remotely, supervisor is available when needed, steady work pace, self paced training available if needed. Handle a lot of my own project management which makes my jobs go smoother. Most of my work is completed remotely, adequate resources to do complete tasks remotely. If approached upper management listens to feedback. Promoted in first year and half of service. Great co-workers!

Cons

Older style of doing business, some ee's have a slow adaption to new services, would like to see a younger work force integrated into the team.

Advice to Management

Would like to see more uniformity company wide.

"Ok company to work for"

Former Employee - Field Technician in Hawthorne, NY
    Former Employee - Field Technician in Hawthorne, NY

I worked at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No micromanagement, pay is not bad, good amount of overtime, a lot folks on their team are good and awesome team players but most not so much!

Cons

Needs improvement organizational, needs to reduce the amount of superstars employees not doing anything and talking and thinking like they are super important. I couldn't see growth opportunities, reason why I left. Job sometimes gets dirty and annoying. Not much organization, project manager makes a lot mistake and always try to blame the field team

Advice to Management

My opinion all upper management needs to be replaced by down to earth people.

"Field service technician"

Former Employee - Field Technician in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Field Technician in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

company vehicle and gas card, field supervisor C.L. VERY easy to get along with.

Cons

Clueless management. HR institutes practices which are immoral/ad reprehensible and borderline criminal. I fond a better position and they refused to give me my owed vacation time AND devised a sinister plan of taking my last paycheck all the while serving out my two weeks notice professionally. I was given a lame brain cooked up excuse that I didnt pay into enough and they conveniently took it out of my last paycheck ironically totaling the exact pay check amount! I would say unless youre DESPERATE for work move along they are not morale or professional and will lie to you at every turn! .

Advice to Management

clean house in management, ESPECIALLY HR. I advise you to stick to your negotiated deals regarding OT, vacation and not screwing hardworking people who NEVER took a day off as they leave for greener pasture.

"NO RAISES!!"

Former Employee - Voice Data Tech in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Voice Data Tech in Rochester, NY

I worked at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

100% paid for late-model company SUV with unlimited personal use. Worked from home - kept me insulated from the office politics. Pretty much made my own schedule and worked independently. Rarely saw my boss (not a bad thing - nice guy). Co-workers easy to get along with along with some pleasant customers.

Cons

No career path. Base salary remained stagnant in the 6 years I worked there - most haven't seen a raise since 2004. Never any explanation given for this (Wasp family rarely heard from in the first place - too busy counting money in Florida). Had to make up for it with lots of overtime. Many large accounts have vanished and the technician pool keeps getting smaller and service area keeps getting larger - tons of windshield time. Left for a job with a $20k boost in salary from the start + $3-4k quarterly bonuses + annual cost of living adjustment after 5 months + 4% 401k matching + semi-annual step-raises + virtually no travel.

Advice to Management

If you haven't noticed yet, good talent has been running out the doors in recent years. May want to rethink your compensation plan... along with giving some recognition for everyone's efforts. Oh and yes, your customers (current and future) do read these reviews and listen to employees gripe about how miserable they are working for Ronco. Happy employees = happy customers who return. Wasp family could care less about the employees. Lack of raises, recognition, and communication speaks volumes.

"One of the best Companies to Work for"

Former Employee - Service Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company has a good customer base in the North Eastern States they where working on building the Mid -West foot print.

Cons

Not enough Techs to go after the smaller customers.

Advice to Management

Work more with the Sales team and Techs to grow the area

"Working at Ronco was the worst job experience of my life."

Former Employee - Technician in Latham, NY
    Former Employee - Technician in Latham, NY

I worked at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company car with gas card which you allowed to take home.

Cons

5 years no raises, no cost of living. Little training. When they laid me off, no severance package, denied paying me my vacation time (3 weeks). Management is clueless bottom of the barrel who operate out of fear and intimidation. No technical support available to technicians on call after hours.

Advice to Management

I hope you get yours. The way this company is being run, the quality of the dedicated people that they laying off is an indication that this company is on the skids.

"Stagnant, No professional growth, Poor management, Unprofessional Atmosphere."

Former Employee - PM/FT in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - PM/FT in Albany, NY

I worked at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company Vehicle with unlimited personal use with gas card, Decent manufacturer trainings. Decent wages (if it's good for you to never make more than what they offer you)

Cons

The people on the management team either don't know what they're doing or should never have been promoted to management. I left this company to go a more stable environment and when I gave more than the recommended notice, I was fired on the spot, not professional at all. Swearing and bigotry are commonplace in the office, but it is okay due to the amount of nepotism there. Minorities are seldom employed at this office. No news is good news and threatening your employment status is commonplace. Annual reviews are pushed off to prevent raises, and sometime even cancelled with no explanation.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that are qualified to manage staff. Your managers need management experience. I've seen some good people let go for little issues that were never addressed, they were never warned. Perform annual reviews annually, and if you're not going to give pay raises, state that out front, don't let us wait and find out.

11. "Sales Engineer"

I worked at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time

Pros

Was still a fairly small organization with more of a family feel at the time (East Coast footprint) which was refreshing coming from larger organizations. Good folks, great manager, not much micro managing from my view.

Cons

Not the most competitive salary; mixed signals in what Ronco wants to be specific to platforms, delivery, professional/managed services. Ultimately (at that time) the bean counters conducted RIF's to achieve profitability.

Advice to Management

Clear direction.