Room 5 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Room 5 full-time

Pros

Working with cutting edge technology. Flexible work hours. Great work/life balance. Nice salary and benefits.

Cons

The flexibility means that many times you can't reach people when you need them.

Advice to Management

Keep growing, but don't treat people like they're just a resource.

2. "Principal Software Engineering"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Room 5 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am working on a great engineering team that collaborates well on project work. This creates an environment to learn new skills in embedded software engineering.

Cons

It's a consulting firm that likes to do project work but to often resorts to individual consultant placement. This hurts team cohesiveness.

Advice to Management

Get project work even if at has to be a slimmer profit margins to grow company and build on this great senior engineering team.

3. "yet another third party software contractor firm"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Room 5 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-> Best place to work if one wants to work less, just hang around and chill out.
    -> Great work life balance as hard work isn't expected

Cons

-> Management think they know it all but have little technical understanding
    -> They promise complete isolation from clients and that its a good thing for engineers. But really they bill clients for experienced candidates and let fresh graduates do the work. Basically, try to increase their margin and don't care about client product's quality.
    -> In one case, a start up company wanted to work with Room5 for software service. The guy seemed to be inexperienced in working with vendors, he walked into the office and met a few high level managers, trusted them and handed over a check for a significant amount of money. This guys leaves the office and these managers (instead of being thankful) started cracking up like how inexperienced the founder was. This shows their commitment to their clients.
    -> Management is insecure and wouldn't let engineers interact with client side managers. They fear that the clients would hire them.
    -> Clients should really have quality as a parameter in the contract that they sign with Room5. Just like any other contracting firm, the damage to product is realized way after the contract is finished and its kind of too late for the client to do anything other than go back to the vendor.
    -> No culture, its about milking clients and having a good time.

Advice to Management

Get your act together

"Cannot recommend this company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Room 5 (More than a year)

Pros

Portland office environment is nice.

Cons

I did work for this company and was not paid as per agreement. Unfortunately I cannot recommend at this time.

Advice to Management

Honor your obligations. Make better hiring decisions. Always remember that reputation and word of mouth is everything, especially in such a small, tight knit community such as what we have here in the Pacific Northwest.

5. "Great group to work with including great support and efforts to build a wide range of experience."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

Lots of appreciation for good work. Periodic brown bag meetings to explore new technology. Good benefits including vacation and holidays. Ability to move to another project as soon as one ends.

Cons

I can't really think of any downsides except that it might be nice to be able to work from home a little more often.

Advice to Management

On a regular basis, let each engineer know whether he is, or is not meeting expectations.

6. "Very good employer with many challenging tasks thats pushes you forward."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Management provides a very good and up to date information regarding the business future and growth.
    The company also have many interesting assignments from it's clients which makes the job a blast.
    Tactel also offers many opportunities for growing experience and skills within many areas of the software industry.
    The company also provides very good benefits that's very good. Both health, dental, vision, vacation, paid holidays and so on.

Cons

Had some rough years but I guess the whole industry have had that. So it's time for the management to show that they can turn Tactel around

7. "Great place to work!!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I was recently hired into Tactel. The people who hired me and the management personnel I went through in getting hired were very professional and personable. I deal with great engineers and very nice people who make you feel at home.
    Management clearly communicates their vision to its employees and how they are doing in this economy. Within two weeks of my getting hired we had a quarterly meeting where the CEO shared his vision and how we are doing as a company.
    I was little apprehensive about joining a small company as I worked only for bigger companies before, HR person was the reason I wanted to come on board, she addressed all my concerns and made me want to work for this company. I think company is moving in the right direction.
    We have biweekly/monthly lunches with other engineers. They were talking about having a yearly re-treat for all the employers.

Not sure what the negativity in the past comments were about.

Cons

Need better medical plans. However I think they are working on it to make it better.

8. "Great career opportunities at a growing company."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

Pros

Tactel is a company that is growing and building up good teams to fill the technologies needs of it's customers. They provide the opportunity to be involved with delivering some of the best new technologies in the market place. They are committed to providing employees with opportunities to develop new skills, and likewise with providing the best skill sets to deliver products to our customers. Tactel management has been accommodating with my home/work life balance.

Cons

The company is growing quickly so the office and communications infrastructure of the company lags behind the growth more than with a larger company. Part of the growing pains.

"Challenging work, clueless management."

Former Employee - Visual Designer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Designer in San Diego, CA

Pros

Lots of big named clients see your work. Well-stocked fridge of free food. Good coffee.
    Talented staff of developers, designers and QA specialists who work well together.

Cons

Lack of leadership and poor management.
    Owners are unable to define their business plan, and, thus, unable to gain new and sustainable business.
    Workers are worked hard and they need to put in long hours with no chance of raises or promotion.
    Management does not communicate with staff.

Advice to Management

Talk more to your staff and listen to their ideas. Develop a business plan and stick with it. Structure some sort of career advancement and incentive program for staff that works hard and does good work.

10. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

Great benefits (nice health insurance, FSA and 401K. and they will reimburse you for smart phone purchase!!), rotation of projects, caring management make you feel home. Work along side with the huge company like Sony Ericssion, Intel and Qualcomm. Have lots of real talented engineers that help me to tide over the tough initial period. I am very comfortable to work here.

Cons

PTO is not enough and every kind of leave will be taken out of PTO balance. Not enough hands to satisfy customers. Does not feel secure of the job.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the good job.