Room & Board Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Room & Board Chairman/CEO John D. Gabbert
John D. Gabbert

Pros
  • Benefits and work life balance are high priority (in 14 reviews)

• There are no Egos to battle and the non- commission sales side of it makes the work we do more meaningful to the customer (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It goes against all the other work/life/balance opportunities (in 8 reviews)

• It's a fairly flat organization, so moving up the ladder is a bit slower than some places -- but opportunities are there (in 9 reviews)

1. "Design Associate"

Current Employee - Design Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Design Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Room & Board part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Respectful environment & Great benefits. A solid company who values employees and customers

Cons

all employees must work weekends

2. "Design Associate"

Former Employee - Design Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Design Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Room & Board full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved everything about this company: Great values, awesome culture; intelligent, funny, fun coworkers. Respect is the operative word.

Cons

You will not get rich here, but you will enjoy coming to work every day and feel good about what you do.

Advice to Management

Open a store in Philadelphia!

3. "Best Company Ever"

Former Employee - Receiver in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Receiver in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Room & Board part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Five star employer. I loved every day of my job. The environment, the benefits and salary are great. I miss the company!

Cons

I was working only part time. I wanted to be full time. It is a competitive company. Getting is is difficult even if you know a ton of connections and have experience.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome!

Mar 1, 2017 – Manager

We are glad you enjoyed your experience at Room & Board and understand that we pride ourselves on finding the right person for the right role. - Room & Board Human Resources Team

"Complete disconnect between stores and corporate."

Former Employee - Design Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Design Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Room & Board full-time

Pros

Fair benefits, good vacation time.

Cons

"Leadership" is a joke. Incompetent. Returns policy unfairly punishes employees.

Advice to Management

There is a complete disconnect between the 'vision' and ethics for the company and those who are supposed to be administering that vision on the floor. Promote/hire better managers. Stop punishing employees because of your liberal return policy, it's unfair to rate employees at pay review on their returns, when employees have little control over customers who use your furniture as rental until their fancier sofa arrives from Europe. You're losing money because your staff go out of their way to NOT sell things as a result.

Dec 30, 2016 – Manager

We are not sure when you were with Room & Board, but we have a new leadership team in place and staff member feedback has been positive. In an effort to create extraordinary experiences for our ... More

6. "Leadership Associate"

Current Employee - Leadership Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Leadership Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Room & Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best company I've ever worked for.

Cons

I have no cons on this company

7. "Furniture Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Room & Board part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture is great. They really believe that their employees are their most important resource and treat them as such.

Cons

I am unable to list any downsides. I worked as a part-time showroom coordinator and furniture runner. The position was perfect for my needs as a student and the environment was always upbeat.

Advice to Management

Focus on promoting from within and utilizing the talent already in your company. There is a great pool of talent to pull from.

Oct 18, 2016 – Manager

Thank you for sharing details regarding your positive experience in our Outlet. We’re glad the part-time position worked well with your role as a student. - Room & Board Human Resources Team

"Its A JOB"

Former Employee - Distribution Team Lead in Iron Station, NC
    Former Employee - Distribution Team Lead in Iron Station, NC

I worked at Room & Board full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vactation time, a few good co-workers

Cons

Lack of leadership. Listens to the loudest person rather than the ones getting the job done

Advice to Management

Need more structure with regards to expectations on associates. Put a time on the learning curve and hold them accountable. Opportunities exist with this company if you are willing to relocate

9. "Design Associate"

Former Employee - Deaign Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Deaign Associate in Seattle, WA

Pros

A wonderful team experience in a beautiful setting. The design esthetic is timeless. The company goes to great lengths to educate the staff members on product knowledge.

Cons

The company is flat. There is a lack of career growth and recognition. There is often favoritism from leadership associates.

Advice to Management

Promote your team

"It's what YOU make it."

Current Employee - SFH DA in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - SFH DA in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Progressive, thoughtful, and engaged company. You are given freedom to explore growth and tools to enhance your role and performance.

Additionally, your leadership team trusts you and gives you liberty to make the best decision possible.

Salary increases and conversation happen with your leader and are meaningful and impactful. You are the owner of your feedback and your managers door is always open.

401k gifts the last 3+ years have been incredible.

Additionally, access to a professional gym with trainers, yoga studios, cycle rooms, and a massage therapist. Also, they offer an on-staff chef that you can order clean, healthy meals that are deducted from your check.

Newly offered is a employee loan program that allows staff member of 3+ year tenure to purchase new furniture and pay over time through pay roll deduction.

Work is challenging and rewarding. If you are not interested in working collaboratively or problem solving- it won't be a great fit.

Cons

Perhaps a more formalized recognition culture, while there is recognition- a more formal approach might help.

Advice to Management

Thanks for always having your door open and being comfortable to speak with. Extremely accommodating with family and personal issues.

Jul 20, 2016 – Manager

Thank you for recognizing many of the positive aspects of Room & Board that we work hard to achieve. Based on staff member feedback, one of the areas we plan to focus on over the next year is staff ... More

"Really Great Retail Company"

Former Employee - Design Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Design Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Room & Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you have a good manager and team to work with, this company can be AMAZING! This was probably the most positive experience of my professional life so far. I was able to work on interesting projects through different roles in the showroom and gain experience related to those opportunities. New Hire Orientation was thorough and the company clearly invests a good deal in each employee. Our store team was like a big family and there was a two year stretch where we had basically zero turnover. Compared to other retail positions you will get a really decent salary (non-commission) and benefits (3 weeks vacation annually to start), and also get to work in a lovely showroom with product you can be proud to sell. I truly appreciated the company culture and that it is still privately owned so you aren't having to deal with a focus on the bottom line to meet shareholder demands. There is a loyal customer base, so most folks were really a joy to work with and sell to. Oh, and I have a lot of lovely furniture in my home now thanks to the employee discount!

Cons

Opportunities for growth in the showrooms are limited to taking on additional roles (with no pay increase, even if the responsibility level might be much, much higher) or trying to work your way up into Leadership. While I loved my time here and have no regrets at all, I ultimately felt that I wanted to step away from retail (evening and weekend hours are required, of course) and find something else that had a clearer path to higher earning potential. This isn't a problem for everyone, and there are showrooms where Design Associates and others have been with the company for 10 or 15+ years, but I do think it is an issue for those who are more ambitious. You can prove yourself as a great employee, but that won't necessarily translate into much in terms of financial reward or promotions. I had some frustrations around this area for a couple years, but stayed due to the amazing team of people we had in place and to get vested in my 401k. When transitions in our showroom started happening, I felt like it was finally time for me to move on, but it was still a really difficult decision to come to. I truly appreciated the stability and being able to be part of such a great group of employees for those years.

Advice to Management

Two pieces of advice: 1) When our manager moved to a different location it seemed clear that the focus was put on looking for an external candidate. That lack of promoting from within did play a big part in my feeling like there weren't many opportunities for moving up and why I ultimately decided to leave. Know that passing up your Leadership Associates who have been in place for 3+ years to go with someone from outside the company sends a message to the team that it may be difficult to have a long-term career here. 2) More compensation rewards tied to the business for Design Associates would help provide motivation to stay focused on sales. Also some sort of token raise for certain roles. These wouldn't need to be large, but I think it would help employees to feel that they are being valued for the amount of effort that they and the entire team puts in. Non-commission is great, don't take that away! But some small reward for a team when they hit a quarterly target could go a long way towards keeping spirits high. Overall though, keep up the good work! Room & Board was a great company to work for and I do miss it!

Jul 20, 2016 – Manager

Thank you for sharing your positive experience working at Room & Board. You recognize many of the pros and cons of retail with good perspective. You identified a couple opportunities for ... More