Room & Board Reviews

3.9
Room & Board Chairman/CEO John D. Gabbert
John D. Gabbert
Pros
Cons
  • "hard to take time off- clients always come before your work life balance(in 11 reviews)

• "Flat Organization: It’s a plus and a minus, not many openings beyond the entry levels as there aren’t a lot of staff leaving(in 11 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Room & Board full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Beautiful environment, positive atmosphere, Guiding Principles

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement and growth

April 27, 2020Manager

Thank you for your feedback as a long-term Room & Board staff member. We are grateful for your commitment and contributions to our organization. We encourage you to continue to talk to your manager about ways to grow within your role.

"Solid Company"

4.0
    Former Employee - Delivery Associate in Elkridge, MD

I worked at Room & Board full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Pay, Salary + Overtime as driver, On the road daily so you get to enjoy outside, amazing houses we delivered to, great benefits, great people.

Cons

Taxing on your body as it is a physically demanding job. Rain, Sleet, or Snow, you will be making deliveries. Customers have really higher expectations and you’re expected to meet them no matter what. Also like any job, it’s a job so employees can be replaced at any given time if you fall out of line no matter the tenure or how much you’ve contributed to the company. They push you in a way to where you feel as if the revenue of the company is more important than the individual that actually helps generate that revenue. This is how it usually works in society so you either take it or leave it. Overall if you come to work daily, do your work and not involve yourself in the office/work politics you’ll make your money and be fine. I’ve seen people literally give their all to this company only to be treated in the end as if none of those contributions mattered.

July 22, 2020Manager

Thank you for your feedback and your contributions. We’re glad to hear you enjoyed your colleagues at Room & Board and the pay and benefits we offer our Delivery Associates. We agree that our Delivery Associates are a vital part of the business and play a large part in our success. To recognize their hard work, we recently gave our Delivery Associates a salary adjustment to acknowledge their contributions. You’re right – delivery is a physically taxing role done in a variety of weather conditions. We are open about the realities of the role during the interview process so our staff members know what to expect. We work with a physical therapist who provides stretching exercises to keep our Delivery Associates safe and healthy. We also recently modified our delivery role to include a regular rotation inside the delivery center, which besides giving the body a break, offers more diversity in the role and gives our staff a better understanding of the business operations. We care deeply about our staff members. If a staff member has concerns, we encourage them to reach out to their manager or human resources manager, to talk about their concerns, share their perspective and help them find a resolution.

"Company on the Decline"

Former Employee - Design Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Room & Board full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It used to be a people-focused (employee and customer) business.

Cons

Claims high morals in Guiding Principles, but constantly contradicts work/life balance and notion that sales numbers are not everything. Lack of true leadership.

July 15, 2020Manager

Thank you for your years of service to Room & Board. We believe that our Guiding Principles and our people shape our culture and set the tone for our business. Because Room & Board is a non-commission environment, our Design Associates establish sales goals in partnership with their managers. We hope our collaborative workplace reduces stress and competition, in the best interest of both our customers and our retail teams.

"Everything was great, until..."

2.0
    Former Employee - Design Associate

I worked at Room & Board full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-Great place to foster friendships -noncommission based environment -great product with simple design

Cons

-Management plays favorites with staff - hard to take time off- clients always come before your work life balance - corporate was hiding truth about financial health of company - no room for growth and professional development. - store hours are not favorable

May 29, 2020Manager

First, we want to thank you for your long tenure and contributions to Room & Board. Being laid off is difficult, especially in these challenging times. And we’re sorry you felt that your service and commitment wasn’t acknowledged in a meaningful way. That is never our intention and we take your feedback to heart. We are always transparent about our financials and share our monthly financial updates for all staff members to see. As of March 1, our business was growing and strong. Within a two week timeframe, we were forced to close all of our showrooms because of COVID-19. We always hope to communicate transparently with our teams, but the world changed too abruptly for us to do so. A layoff is never something we want to do, but it was the right decision as we look to preserve the core of our business. We wish you well.

"Great work environment"

4.0
    Former Employee - Design Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Room & Board full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Funky fun coworkers, cool supervisors, great pay, working with clients on design projects.

Cons

Schedule is not flexible and its hard to get time off, stressful reaching sales goals.

April 13, 2020Manager

We’re glad to hear you enjoyed your fun and creative colleagues and projects during your tenure at Room & Board. Our weekends are fast-paced and lively. They’re the most important days of the week in that we have the opportunity to connect with our customers face-to-face at their convenience. With that said, our Design Associates get at least one weekend off per month. Design Associates establish sales goals in partnership with their managers. It is important to remember that we are a non-commission environment, and we work together to reach our sales goals. We hope our collaborative workplace reduces stress and competition, in the best interest of both our customers and our retail teams.

"Age discrimination in terminations"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Room & Board part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

3 day week, minimal benifits

Cons

No true review process, you never know how your doung, weak and ineffectual leadership.

August 4, 2020Manager

A 10+ year span of time with a company is something to recognize, however, our layoffs were unavoidable and we’re sorry to hear you left with a less than favorable opinion of us. We want to clarify that we offer benefits to all our staff members. So as a 3-day Design Associate your benefits, including health care and 401(K), were equivalent to your fulltime peers. The challenges that define the COVID-19 crisis have changed our world as well as our business. The difficult decisions were made in full compliance with the law under the Older Workers Benefit Protection Act and with the determination to keep Room & Board healthy long-term so we can support as many staff members as possible.

7. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Distribution Manager in Otsego, MN

I have been working at Room & Board full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's nice being part of something that you can make a difference in. I started my journey as a Delivery Associate and have held multiple roles within the Delivery and Distribution Center. At the time, was fortunate to be part a faster sales growth period within the company, was able to move up over a course of 15 years. Being able to build and watch a team grow is exciting. Accountability for expenses and being able to deliver what we sell keeps things interesting. A few more Pros: Flat organization, because we are relevantly flat, we can move fairly quickly as far as problem solving. Teamwork: Everyone across the company works as a team, we don’t point fingers, we do the right thing for the customer. People: Because we hire great staff members, we don’t need as many in leadership. I would describe the environment as self-motivating. If you are a staff member, think in big picture, and keep the customer experience in mind, you’ll do fine.

Cons

Flat Organization: It’s a plus and a minus, not many openings beyond the entry levels as there aren’t a lot of staff leaving. Not everyone is going to fit: The culture is different than other places. Very collaborative. It might be difficult to acclimate to a work environment that is self-driven, we expect everyone to peer manage each other.

March 9, 2020Manager

Thank you for your honest and authentic feedback, and for your long tenure with our company. Our success is due to staff members like yourself. We agree that staff members say their past experiences are often different from what they experience at Room & Board. We do things differently. We find that staff members who are open to thinking in new ways thrive at Room & Board.

"work-life balance impossible, no room for growth"

Current Employee - Design Associate

I have been working at Room & Board full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Profit sharing, good coworkers and positive environment, complimentary coffee

Cons

If you want to work part time the rest of your life and get passed over for promotions to less experienced outside applicants this is the place for you. You will get one weekend off a month, good luck with your personal life, try requesting off another weekend even if it is with your vacation time and Leadership will hassle you because they find it difficult to create a schedule with so many part timers.

March 9, 2020Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad to hear you find value in our culture and your colleagues at Room & Board. The schedule for the 3-Day Design Associate role calls for working three weekends a month, something we are transparent about during the interview process. Many of our 3-Day Design Associates seek out these positions because they want to find a way to balance their current life’s work with a creative and fulfilling part-time career that offers generous benefits. We take your advice to management seriously and invite you to share your concerns with your HR partner.

9. "Unicorn Company - Truly Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - III Day Design Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Room & Board part-time for more than a year

Pros

Part-Time job with benefits, profit sharing, non-toxic work environment on every level: kind and collaborative colleagues who communicate well, beautiful surroundings, commitment to sustainability throughout company's history, most products are made in the US by artisans with sustainable materials: selectively cut trees from local forests, recycled steel, etc. This company has so much integrity - it is genuine and felt by everyone. I never thought I would be able to work in a private company - my career history has been in non-profits, educational institutions, freelancing and having my own business. This job is so delightful I truly never grouchy about having to go to work - everyone is so delightful, I feel like I work in a spa for design :) It never feels hierarchical. We never take work home; our time off is our time and that feels very respectful. We are often asked for feedback, and our feedback actually does get considered and contributes to change. We create our own goals and evaluate our progress so that we can each feel successful based on our individual skills and interests. It is a very egalitarian and considerate place to work.

Cons

It is challenging to work most weekends - though we do get one weekend off each month and some days work 1-6pm to make the schedule more accommodating. It is retail and reality is that the showrooms are busiest on weekends, so it makes sense that we would need to be available to work weekends. The weekend hours of 10am-6pm and 11-6pm do feel quite managable, and it is quite possible to have time to socialize and relax on our off time.

February 24, 2020Manager

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. It is gratifying to hear you find Room & Board’s culture to be one of respect and collaboration, and it is fun to be thought of as a unicorn! Your role as a 3 day a week Design Associate, working most weekends to ensure we serve our customers well is critical to our success and we are forever grateful for your contribution. You and all of your peers deserve nothing less than full benefits and a collaborative work environment. Regarding your question about health insurance, as a national employer, we need to select an insurer that offers a full network across all 50 states. At this time, Kaiser doesn’t offer that. However, our Wellness Team continues to have conversations about our insurance options and we invite you to reach out to your HR Manager with concerns or questions.

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Delivery Manager in Elkridge, MD

I have been working at Room & Board full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Room & Board has provided so me many opportunities to grow professionally. Each year I have been challenged in ways that I could not have foreseen when I first started. Along the developmental opportunities you get to work with some outstanding people at all levels of the company.

Cons

Every job has some cons, but I have not come across anything that would be surprising for a leader or staff member that already agrees with the company's Guiding Principles.

January 21, 2020Manager

We appreciate your review and long-term commitment to Room & Board. We strive to help our staff members grow in their roles and we’re happy to hear that you’ve experienced professional growth with us.

Found 122 reviews