Room & Board "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Room & Board Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 15 Aug 2019

3.9
Room & Board CEO John D. Gabbert
John D. Gabbert
Pros
Cons
  • "It's a fairly flat organization, so moving up the ladder is a bit slower than some places -- but opportunities are there(in 10 reviews)

• "Store employees don’t get the work/ life balance offered to Central office employees(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Best place to work, no question"

Former Employee - Recruitment Associate

I worked at Room & Board full-time for more than a year

Pros

Room & Board is the kind of workplace you WANT to be spending your time everyday. From executives to individual contributors and everyone in between, all are authentic, extremely intelligent, and truly care about their work and the people on their teams. They’re collaborative, innovative, and open to new ideas. Great benefits, work/life balance, company culture, and a work environment filled with supportive... coworkers - the pros list is endless.

Cons

It's rare when interns transition into a permanent, full-time position - I only wish I could’ve stayed longer!

Advice to Management

You’re doing everything right. Focusing on what makes Room & Board so great - the high-quality people and product!

Room & Board2019-08-16

"Room and Board"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Room & Board full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great product and guiding principles. Work is done in a way that supports their principles. Good benefits. Central office employees have many perks.

Cons

HR only works with management, doesn’t seem to care about those in lesser roles. Employees can be clickish, especially at the central office. Store employees don’t get the work/ life balance offered to Central office employees.

Room & Board2018-03-15
  3. "Delivery Market Manager"

Former Employee - Delivery Market Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Room & Board full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Supportive team and culture. Freedom to grow and make decisions. Real commitment to work life balance. Ability to problem solve independently. Great opportunity to lead and develop your team. Company values and philosophies infused in daily operations. Peer group is fantastic, smart, and supportive. As a Delivery Market Manager you get to lead a team of committed, engaged staff members, and build... meaningful relationships with your retail partners and others throughout the company-all while delivering beautiful American made furniture.

Cons

Nothing beyond the usual challenges of delivery anywhere-weather, challenging buildings, challenging customers, etc

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do. Hold true to the Guiding Principles and stay focused on the customer.

Room & Board2017-08-24
  4. "Great company"

I worked at Room & Board full-time

Pros

Work life balance and great environment

Cons

Run lean which causes issues with staffing time off

Room & Board2017-07-24
  5. "Driver"

I have been working at Room & Board

Pros

Good starting pay Good work life balance

Cons

Horrible raises, less than $1 raise over 2 years of employment

Room & Board2017-01-04

"Not your life's work...Well at least not mine."

Former Employee - Design Associate

I worked at Room & Board full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- (3) weeks of vacation to start (that's pretty darn awesome). - 401k, they match up to a certain percentage and put a bonus in it as long as they make their profit margin. - Great team of people to work with. Really amazing group and they make going to work so enjoyable. - Potential opportunity to visit and work in other R&B showrooms in different markets. - You get a discount on furniture. I mean I personally... think it should be more than 35%, but I'll throw it in the Pro pile.

Cons

- PAY OR LACK THEREOF. Yeesh, where to begin basically the pay just plain sucks. Especially if you are in a market like NYC, SF, or LA where rent is expensive or you know NOT Minnesota. This is definitely not the job where you'll save money, so if you can, get that money UP FRONT because those 1.5% a year raises are a joke. Even after teams expressed the inability to live on the given salary the company did nothing.... I mean I get it, companies want to make money right? Seems simple enough. What I don't get is why the hardest working people, the people who make the sales and make your company money, don't get the salary they deserve. Instead you hire an outside company to analyze and basically "defend" your lack of pay. Awesome. I don't even want to know how much that must have cost the company. Perhaps equivalent to just giving your employees a gosh darn raise they deserve? My favorite response from Room&Board in regards to people pleading about lack of pay is, "We understand people will have to do whatever is best for them and make the hard decisions." Translation = we don't care, we aren't going to do anything, quit. It's just plain disappointing and does not make someone want to put much effort back into the job. - BENEFITS. So not only do you not get paid properly, you get really really bad benefits. Basically NOTHING is covered unless it is preventative. So say you...need a certain test or procedure that is not preventative, you basically pay up to $2000 to get 80% covered and then another $3000 to get 100% covered. God forbid you get sick or have something out of the ordinary happen because you better have an extra 5k laying around. My doctors would look at me like, what kind of insurance is this?!? I literally had to end up going to alternative health clinics just to afford health care. It's not cheap too, your paying about $115 a month out of your check a month for this extremely crappy healthcare. Unacceptable. -Work Life Balance. I won't harp on this too much because its retail and for retail it's not bad. You will work weekends, you will work evenings, you will work holidays (the day after Christmas is the busiest day of the year since it's literally the only time R&B has a sale, so ya know Merry Christmas to you! Don't spend time with your family, MAKE R&B money! I mean except for the central office, they of course are off). Speaking of Holidays...what the heck is with Easter? You close the showrooms but don't pay your staff?! It seems a little unfair to those who don't celebrate that particular religious holiday, and by a little, I mean a lot.

Advice to Management

Basically look at all the CONS and make the changes. 1. Pay your staff better. 2. Provide better medical benefits. 3. Give your people a break with their schedule, especially the full time people who are there 5 days and are fully committed. It's actually really simple. Treat your people well and they will work well in return. You can keep treating people the way you are and most will leave. You can hire people... who will work for what you are offering, but from what I have seen you won't get the quality you once did. To be honest though, from what I can tell, this is kind of the way you want it. Out with the old, in with the new and unassuming. I think that sums it up. One last major thing I do want to make clear is I left R&B on my terms. I don't want people who read this to think that I left this company because of termination or in a huff (no, no Jerry McGuire moment for me), because I didn't. I left on great terms, but the point is I left and these are the reasons why.

Room & Board2016-08-20
  7. "design Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Room & Board full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing work/life balance. I enjoy coming to work everyday and growing in my role with the team.

Cons

Very flat company with little room for upward mobility. You have to be willing to find other roles within your position.

Room & Board2015-11-19
  8. "Design Associate"

Design Associate in Chester, VA

I have been working at Room & Board for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work/life balance. Creative and fun environment to work in. The people are the best!

Cons

Some slow time, but is such with retail. Not a lot of room for advancement.

Room & Board2015-10-07
  9. "R and B"

I have been working at Room & Board

Pros

Great people..amazing company philosophy. Benefits and work life balance are high priority

Cons

Characterized as a "flat company"

Room & Board2015-10-07

"Changing For The Worse"

Current Employee - Design Associate

I have been working at Room & Board full-time

Pros

I work in a retail location, and enjoy working with my colleagues. We have the ability to take care of our customers and each other.

Cons

I hate to admit this, but things have really changed at R&B What once was a organization about collaboration, we have now grown into a large company that is not much different than other retail environments. Decisions are mostly made at our central offices in Minnesota, but we rarely see any of those people in the stores. I have not seen most of the head honchos in years, there is a disconnect between the stores and... central. Our price points continue to increase which is good for business, but with our discount very few of the associates can even afford the furniture for our own homes. We receive floor samples at 50% off, so the best deal we can get on furniture are items that have been sitting in a showrooms for a year or more. The insurance is not easy. It works, but it is not ideal. Our new holiday switch means we lose days off, instead getting paid time and half. I understand that we are paid more to make up for it, but I value the time with my family and my work life balance. I have never had days off taken away from me in a work environment and it makes me feel completely unvalued. Also, there truly is little growth at R&B. In the beginning there was more options, but now everyone stays stagnant, and people have to pretty much leave because there is very, very limited options to grow your career here. It is sad to think that as we get bigger, this company cannot figure out a way to foster growth. We have lost many associates recently because they wanted more. Shouldn't a company want to encourage their associates to grow? I am in a position where I will be staying at R&B, but I hate to stay that I would discourage many young people from joining this organization. I have been here for a few years, and this is the first time I feel like like I am back working in some of my old retail environments. Decisions are made by people you don't know, and there is nothing you can do. Explore all your options and think about what you want for yourself in 5 years. Our work is a huge part of our life, and these decisions should not be made lightly.

Advice to Management

My advice to management in MN is to get back in touch with the stores, actually go and visit the retail locations. And please foster some growth. I hate seeing the younger people leaving our company because they have no growth options, and it is an opportunity for R&B to show their associates what they can accomplish, instead of pushing them away.

Room & Board2015-05-13