KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Updated Mar 25, 2021

2.9
Rooster Teeth Productions Chief Executive Officer Matt Hullum
Matt Hullum
Pros
  • "The potential exists for this to be a positive work environment(in 5 reviews)

• "casual environment, free lunch on Mondays, PTO(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "For most of us freelance creatives in Austin, working for Rooster Teeth seems like a dream come true(in 6 reviews)

• "About the animation department only) May not have personally had a lot of industry experience, but even a high schooler could tell things aren’t right(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Feb 20, 2021 - Animator in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The way management looked out for us and our well being. There is a lot changing at RT, maybe not as fast has we'd all like, but it's going in a good way. I want to say thank you to RT for the way it handled the snowstorm for it's employees. I'm not one for leaving comments on this type of site, but I believe that while the negative moments have to be pointed out, the good ones must too. The executives and managers did everything in their power to make sure we were all taken care off and to keep in contact with each other and to stay safe. I know of a few who literally risked their necks to make sure everyone was ok. Thank you.

Cons

There is still work to do on some side of the company, legacy of something build out of a "white male gamers" group.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great Experience

Mar 21, 2021 - Marketing
      Business Outlook

Pros

You will learn a lot working here and you will have the opportunity to work collaboratively.

Cons

It's easy to get burned out.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Still not entirely there, but getting better

Feb 3, 2021 - 3D Animator in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, work life balance, great projects, a lot of fun people to work with,

Cons

Management, sometimes too many cooks for the same kitchen, sometimes not enough,

4. 3.0
      Current Employee

fun work environment

Mar 5, 2021 - 3D Animator
      Business Outlook

Pros

fun people, free lunch, good place

Cons

not enough work to go around

Be the first to find this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Cautiously Optimistic

Feb 12, 2020 - Employee in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

For context, this is an update to a previous one-star review. I weathered the storm and I'm glad I did. Rooster Teeth's transformation over the last year has been nothing short of amazing. We haven't had a bit of overtime in more than six months, toxic people have been let go, and the trajectory overall has been extremely positive. We are now seeing a real picture of what this company can really become, if we can hold on and keep moving forward. I would say that around 85% of the complaints you'll see in the rest of the reviews here have been satisfactorily resolved. There are still some issues like any other workplace, but RT has taken us seriously and made some major substantive steps to making things right. Not many companies can say the same.

Cons

The staff is still very junior, and there is still some reticence to hire on experienced industry pros. I feel like between 2018/2019's bungled projects and all the bad publicity, the company is really trying to keep costs low to demonstrate their worth to the corporate overlords. along those lines, compensation is not as good as it should be

7 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Truly dreadful.

Mar 25, 2021 - Artist - Animation in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Made some very good friends in the trenches. Nothing like enduring labor abuse together for bonding.

Cons

Rampant worker mistreatment, toxic workplace culture, poor management at every level of the company. Paid artists far below standard and took advantage of younger artists new to the industry.

4 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great Culture

Jan 20, 2021 - Accountant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Salary, Culture, work life balance

Cons

Growth came along too fast

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Sinking ship. Stay away. It's a trap!

May 8, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Rooster Teeth fans are a big plus and supportive. Monday lunch is a nice. Some nice media benefits from AT&T

Cons

A sinking ship comes to mind when looking at the animation department. The culture is horrible with a lot of rushed hires from the mass hiring from GL. Most the leadership is underqualified or they leave the studio. People are leaving the studio like crazy animators and tech seem to lose the most people. You are kept in the dark and expected to crank out work with ridiculous deadlines. Politics runs the department and leads are never around due to endless and useless meetings. Nothing here is thinking long term since R&D is nonexistent. We are just expected to work show to show without improvements or advancements. This is why they are doing so much outsourcing now. Not surprising because how expensive and brute force we do our shows compared to proper animation studios. This place is a death trap for your career since you won't get to learn and grow. Not to mention most studios don't work like this one. So the experience doesn't transfer well to other places. As I have found out the reputation of Rooster Teeth is so bad in the industry its like a black spot on your resume and you better be prepared during interviews with other companies. Toping on the cake you're a second class citizen within the company if your in the animation department and becomes crystal clear after working there for a period of time.

6 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Disorganized, sexist, and poorly managed.

Jan 7, 2021 - Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some great people, interesting projects.

Cons

Poor upper management Sexist environment High school clique mentality Overworked teams with zero backfilled positions

3 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Comfortable compensation, fun but sometimes toxic culture

Jul 7, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, great co-workers, fun culture.

Cons

Some issues with big egos, promises not kept by management. A lot of people want to be on camera, and people can be petty when they aren't picked.

3 people found this review helpful