Roots Canada Keyholder Reviews | Glassdoor

Roots Canada Keyholder Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Found 4 reviews

2.5
Roots Canada CEO Jim Gabel (no image)
Jim Gabel
  1. "Key Holder"

Former Employee - Keyholder

I worked at Roots Canada full-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount is very rewarding if you are a fan of quality leather bags and leather shoes. Most leather products are made in Canada, which ensures high quality and satisfaction for consumers. There is extreme brand loyalty, which makes meeting sales goals much easier. There are no sales quotas, just goals, which are rewarded when met. There are often weekly incentive programs occurring with generous rewards.

Cons

The quality of their clothing has deteriorated a bit, as they began outsourcing their clothing production in recent years. Long-time consumers recognize this deterioration and are very vocal about their distaste. One of the CEOs is a bit difficult to please. Most employees are terrified of him. The other is quite pleasant. Good cop, bad cop type situation.

Roots Canada2014-03-01

"My friends, family and I will never shop at Roots again due to this experience."

Former Employee - Keyholder

I worked at Roots Canada part-time for less than a year

Pros

Most of the people I worked with I loved, I learned a lot about products, customer service and other aspects of retail. loved the location i was at.

Cons

I understand why their tier of policies are in place and I think most of the time - they work. But when they don't bother to review employees it resulted in the most AWFUL management I have ever experienced. Now I was terminated within my first 3 months of being there - the LAST day of my probation. I had been told I was doing well, I was a KH so I knew how to work at 3 other stores in the city, and another manager... told me after I had told her I was fired that she was hoping that I could work at her store - which I gladly would have if I knew the type of person my manager really was. I was given no reason for the termination - which again within the 3 months they are allowed, but it completely blindsided me. I have a feeling my manager got in trouble for something, and blamed me for it. The manager was the worst example to store policy, etiquette, and training I have ever encountered. They always showed 10-20 minutes late, took hour+ long breaks, left the store in a DISASTER when they closed, was condescending and rude to employees, & painted her nails behind the till while the store was OPEN just to name a few things! So I was screwed over, and I called HR and they basically told me "too bad so sad". I used to admire the company, until I experienced how they treat their employees.

Advice to Management

Make sure your management is trustworthy. If you sense something is off encourage employees to say something. I know what my manager was doing was wrong, but felt like I couldn't say anything because they acted like the ultimate boss and like they had the only connection to the district manager. I feel bad for the store I was at. I know that the manager is acting like a tyrant rather than a leader and it is hurting... the store. Also, encourage your HR people to LISTEN. While on the phone I felt like she was trying to hang up on me the whole time. Ruined my whole experience of Roots.

Roots Canada2014-07-05
  3. "Good company, low wages"

Former Employee - Keyholder in Victoria, BC

I worked at Roots Canada full-time for less than a year

Pros

good company values, nice cloths, good quality product

Cons

No incentive to sell, and no reward for top sales.

Advice to Management

Have incentive program in place to reward staff for meeting sales goes

Roots Canada2014-01-06

"Lots of learning from my manager, but the company doesn't value its frontline workers"

Former Employee - Keyholder in

I worked at Roots Canada full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great first job and learned a lot as a keyholder.

Cons

Bad pay, immature managers, head office/district manager politics

Advice to Management

It is not just about rewarding Managers with a good salary since they don't work on the floor 90% of the time. Recognize that your sales associates and keyholders help make the sales, and hire well and pay well for a proven track record.

Roots Canada2012-12-10