Roots Canada Reviews | Glassdoor

Roots Canada Reviews

Updated Sep 9, 2019

Found 254 reviews

3.6
Roots Canada CEO Jim Gabel (no image)
Jim Gabel
  1. "just a great job overall"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Toronto, ON

I worked at Roots Canada part-time for less than a year

Pros

everyone was so friendly and there was not much internal politics

Cons

being on your feet all day

Roots Canada2019-04-05
  2. "Ana amazing family-like culture"

Former Employee - Sales Associate, Head Leather Specialist

I worked at Roots Canada part-time for more than a year

Pros

- great people - close and small teams - good hours - bonus pay when the team exceeds monthly targets

Cons

- lack of training for part-time staff - unqualified managers

Roots Canada2019-04-05
  3. "Roots is Canada"

Current Employee - Team Member in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Roots Canada part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount Canadian made leather Sweats can be worn at work Management and staff very friendly and professional

Cons

Not enough shouts to go around

Advice to Management

Give hours to the people who actually work hard for you

Roots Canada2019-04-02
  4. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Roots Canada part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fair shifts Good management Good employees

Cons

Low pay Nothing else I can think of

Roots Canada2019-04-02

"Lots of opportunities to move up, if you put up with a lot."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Roots Canada full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good discount. Lots of opportunities to move up if you work hard.

Cons

Not enough support from upper management. Company vision unclear, head office often appears disorganized/chaotic. Lack of accountability from head office.

Advice to Management

Fair compensation to leadership, below industry standards and surprising for a company with such seemingly strong values.

Roots Canada2019-04-11
  6. "Can't really complain"

I worked at Roots Canada part-time

Pros

coworkers. customers generally pretty chill.

Cons

sometimes managers can be annoying.

Advice to Management

grow up

Roots Canada2019-04-12

"Very pushy, and they set unrealistic visual standards."

Former Employee - Team Lead in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Roots Canada part-time for less than a year

Pros

50% off Nice coworkers Always busy

Cons

Working at roots wasn't bad. My co-workers were all wonderful people however, management was not. It was not a stressful job, it was fast paced since I worked at 2 locations downtown. The visual standards that were held were unreasonable. Here is an example: during closing, everyone tidys the store( folding clothes, fixing displays, making sure hangers face the right way etc) and after we are finished our section we... have to call over a mod to double check to see if we did it correctly. If the clothes do not align perfectly(the logo is in the same spot , folded neatly, in a straight line and all facing the front) they make you redo the entire pile because a few logos do not line up with the rest. Even if you readjust, they will make you do it again and do not acknowledge nor care about the time. Where I live, the train stops running at 1am and the managers still made us "perfect" the store at 1230am. It was ridiculous. They also force you to wear roots head to toe. They expect everyone to purchase have a piece of roots clothing and to wear it every shift.. which I understand but why not provide us with a roots uniform instead of us having to purchase something out of pocket. The managers that I had pressured people to buy the newest collection or whatever. It was annoying. Management is messy and uncommunicative. Associates have to ask for breaks, managers gossip about everyone ( mind you, in a different language but it's still gossip and that is unprofessional.) Even though I was bought on with a managerial role, they never included me in anything. I had to ask to be included and to be trained. I also noticed that managers do not dismiss associates when their shift is up. Since a lot of us do not wear a watch we lose track of time, my coworker and I actually worked a FEW HOURS over time because no one told us that we were off. Both of us went up to a manager and asked what time it was and when we found out, we got blamed because we did not clock out. During my training process, the store manager had assumed that I would be know everything since I had been in the same position at a different company. When I said that those procedures were different, her demeanor changed completely and started treating me as if I was incompetent. I'm sorry but every company has different procedures. Dont get mad at me for asking simple questions. Management did not treat me as an equal, rather they acted as if they were superior to everyone there. Also, everyone that worked at the branches I did, were from abroad and about 85% worked there for 3 months or less. Shows how great their environment is......

Advice to Management

Stop talking down to your associates. We are not 5, stop treating us like that. Dont pressure people into buying clothes and being "roots head to toe". If you want to achieve this, provide a uniform. Do not expect people to PAY to work a minimum wage job. Train management in professional manners. Dont uphold such anal visual standards. The store does not need to be in perfect condition every single night.... The logos do not have to line up perfectly in each pile. People do not have the time nor the energy to waste folding and refolding clothes because 4 items were not to standard. It's late, people need to go home. Management needs to work on communication. The mods do not know who is working or where. Also know when go dismiss your associates. Do not assume that we know everything that you do. Management should not gossip about associates or other managers. It's very unprofessional... especially since it's in a different language. If you're hiring someone to join your management team; listen to their ideas and input. Do not ignore them. Train them and do not belittle them.

Roots Canada2019-05-01
  8. "Great brand, but bad brand management"

I worked at Roots Canada full-time

Pros

The people working front lines and direct management are amazing!

Cons

Pay is WELL below industry average. Turn over rates are huge because of it.

Advice to Management

Please pay your people more and invest in better benefits for full-time employees, that they don't have to contribute to out of their paycheque. It will hugely decrease your turnover rates and increase employee engagement, because they'll actually appreciate their employment! Additionally, vacation time goes a LONG way. On another note, feedback needs to be encouraged and the process streamlined. Have head office... employees openly and frequently ask for feedback from the frontline employees, it will not only increase their engagement and employment growth through connections made, it will decrease the amount of product launch 'flops'.

Roots Canada2019-04-03
  9. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Montreal, QC

I worked at Roots Canada part-time for more than a year

Pros

My training from Roots taught me how to be a good employee and has led to my success later in

Cons

Compensation is non-existent. No commission, Team sales objectives are set by head office and are a mess

Roots Canada2019-03-19
  10. "Leather Specialist"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Roots Canada part-time for more than a year

Pros

Definitely a opportunity to grow within the company and expand product knowledge.

Cons

Simply just a title, no pay compensation or recognition with a lot more responsibility.

Advice to Management

Look into what exactly being able to grow in the company looks like and how that relates to being recognized.

Roots Canada2019-03-19