Roquette America Reviews | Glassdoor

Dominique Baumann

1. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Keokuk, IA
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Keokuk, IA

I have been working at Roquette America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opprotunity for the ambitious. In process an enormous amount of low hanging fruit exists for the picking. Oprotunitues abound.

Cons

High salary turn over in management. Disorganization and shifting plant goals and focus.

2. "Roquette America Keokuk Iowa"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Keokuk, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Keokuk, IA

I have been working at Roquette America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, bonuses. Solid headquarters, and potential to bring on new products and new facilities world wide. Food and pharma industry, so there is always a demand.

Cons

Some departments have a very poor work life balance. Company is constantly looking for a better way to do things, which is admirable, but they put the personnel through the learning curve then do not follow through on the changes.

Advice to Management

Management needs to start communicating with lower level employees. They are the nuts and bolts holding things together, and are never asked for any input. Things will never improve, if they don't know what to fix.

"RAI is circling the bowl. I hope it can be saved."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Keokuk, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Keokuk, IA

I worked at Roquette America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'm retired after nearly 40 years working at the Keokuk plant. I have seen a lot of changes and not much for the better.
    In spite of that, I made a decent living there to provide for my family.
    For the record, my living was much better in the early days than it had been since Roquette took over.
     I thank my lucky stars that I have been a good saver and a reasonably successful small investor because if I was a young person starting out there, it would not probably go as well.

Cons

What has Roquette in bad shape these days is a direct result of foolishly locking out its' hourly workforce for ten months in late 2010 and most of 2011. They have never recovered from that, but weren't in real good shape to begin with. A labor dispute was the last thing they needed. They have lost many good people and get enough local bad press as well as word of mouth criticism to the point they have difficulty hiring.

Advice to Management

Collectively, the management of Roquette America in Keokuk, Iowa could not organize a sock drawer.
    Get your heads out of that dark, stinky place and take a fresh look at what is really happening.
    Seriously work on your Say-Do Ratio. (Look it up.)
    People don't trust you anymore and I'm afraid rebuilding that trust is going to be a long road.
    I just hope for the sake of people still there and the community you're in that it's not too late.

"IT Project Coordinator"

Former Employee - IT Project Coordinator in Keokuk, IA
    Former Employee - IT Project Coordinator in Keokuk, IA

I worked at Roquette America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work in a global environment.

Cons

After working 20 years and having 14 active projects I was working on, they called me into an office on a Thursday afternoon and told me my job was being eliminated by the French parent company and they walked me out the door. 20 years of service, learning to speak French, and that was my 'Thank you'. Fortunately I landed a new job with another company with a $10K salary increase.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect. I could have worked many jobs in many areas, but they chose to walk me out the door. When managers are caught in lies to employees, have a backbone and take corrective action instead of burying your heads in the sand.

"A mixed bag"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Keokuk, IA
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Keokuk, IA

I worked at Roquette America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities to learn, take on responsibility, interesting projects. Great pay, good benefits though heath insurance was a little high. 401k matching excellent.

Cons

Senior management is over their head. Too many levels of management. Too many initiatives and places of focus to perform efficiently. Slow decision making. Lack of realistic long term planning. Unsustainable situation. Recent layoffs eliminated lots of workers, no middle management and didn't appear to streamline operations.

Advice to Management

Create efficiencies, reduce levels of management, share resources, empower hourly.

7. "Manager-Energy Production Group"

Former Employee - Manager-Energy Production Group in Keokuk, IA
    Former Employee - Manager-Energy Production Group in Keokuk, IA

Pros

Location if you like small communities

Cons

Very small market share with limited specialties. Not stable

"Global IT"

Former Employee - OCC IT Technician in Keokuk, IA
    Former Employee - OCC IT Technician in Keokuk, IA

I worked at Roquette America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small town values from co-workers, good benefits, biggest employer in the community, international travel, competitive wage for the area, involved with local community.

Cons

Shuffled a bad manager from BSA to OCC. The manager ran out all good and long time workers from Team Leaders, Senior Technicians, to Technicians that has been with company for over ten years. By the time the company realized the severity of the situation, it was too late; all the experience and good workers had already left.

Advice to Management

Don't just shuffle a bad manager around the company; get rid of them. If the company wants to change to make employees happy, bring in good managers that actually listens to the team. Removing a bad manager from one department and giving him another managerial project within the company is not fixing the problem; you're just sweeping it under the rug.

"The other guy is right. You have been warned."

Former Employee - IT Department in Keokuk, IA
    Former Employee - IT Department in Keokuk, IA

I worked at Roquette America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The travel is really great if you're in the right role to receive it. The work-life balance for me wasn't too bad. I didn't notice too many people being pressured to work over 40 hours. The training wasn't too bad either. I think these good things come forced from French management though.

Cons

It seemed to me the American management was pretty bad. Especially in Keokuk. I wouldn't have taken a job there had I know what I know now about the place. It really is a bad place to either start, or continue a career. There are some seriously rotten apples in management that needed to be booted out long ago. Instead they run roughshod over their employees and have no accountability. I've seen so many good people be ran out just because there are small-minded bullies in charge. Racists, bigots, and just clueless fools who wouldn't last in any other organization.

Advice to Management

Honestly, fire yourself. I never knew a competent manager while I was there. If you're unhappy with your life, don't take it out on employees.

"Unstable, no direction"

Former Employee - IT Depart in Keokuk, IA
    Former Employee - IT Depart in Keokuk, IA

I worked at Roquette America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to travel. Some great people to work with.

Cons

French controlled company, France is always more important. Treats US employees like second class citizens. Extremely financially unstable . Too much reorganization with no direction.

Advice to Management

Unless you learn to be fair to all employees, they will not stay. Extreme changes are too little too late.

"AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS!!! You've been warned!"

Current Employee - Any Position in Keokuk, IA
    Current Employee - Any Position in Keokuk, IA

Pros

international company
    may get to travel internationally

Cons

Low pay, no raises, layoffs, lots of internal politics, glory days are behind it, the French have no idea how to run an American business but yet are too arrogant to admit it, company is going broke, they are trying to fix it but they dont have a reputation for making good decisions or being able to change fast. Everything is secret, there is no job security, and ultimately the company will be bought or go out of business. 15% was just laid off with no warning. Remaining employees would be smart to put their future in their own hands and find other employment instead of showing up to no job one day.

Advice to Management

They made one right move by getting rid of the CEO that was running the company into the ground (french) but it took them too long to figure it out and they wont be able to correct in time to avoid disaster. It's too radical of shift to accomplish in the time needed. Their plan is to have happy employees, but then they take away everything that made it even tolerable. So the plan to save the company is flawed and unobtainable. Management has never listed so what good is advice. Profit is coming from cost cutting, not an actual increase in performance. This is a temp solution.