Roquette America Reviews | Glassdoor

Dominique Baumann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Employment"

I have been working at Roquette America full-time

Pros

Salary for hourly employees is among the best in the area
    Work 14 12 hour shifts a month
    For the most part, crews work as a team

Cons

COMMUNICATION is less that desirable

Advice to Management

Effective communication

2. "Activity & Sustainable Development Report is a Fantasy Novel"

I worked at Roquette America full-time

Pros

Big company, big dollars, big profile

Cons

This is a company that knowingly and willfully dumped toxic waste into the Mississippi River from 2000 until they finally got reprimanded in 2012. Not only were they warned on multiple occasions, they chose to ignore and continue to knowingly pollute for the sake of profit and greed. The Keokuk facility violated its NPDEA permit 1,174 times, and on at least 30 occasions illegally dumped in both the Mississippi River and Soap Creek. So, when they write "Committing to the Environment" in their company reports. It is a lie. I had trouble working for a corporation like this. They don't advertise their dirty little truths, and try to cover all with the corporate buzz words and environment show they present, but the truth is far different. The full report is available on the EPA website.

On a side note, their customer service is the worst in the industry.

Advice to Management

If you want to have respect, you must do respectable things. Work on being real and improve your customer service.

"Do yourself a favor and don't bother with this French company!"

Former Employee - Network Technician in Geneva, IL
    Former Employee - Network Technician in Geneva, IL

I worked at Roquette America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't really think of any?

Cons

I worked here in the IT department for 2 years and we went through 3 managers! I think that says what's going on here. Not to mention 2 people from the Indian team quit in the last 3 weeks. Worst management I ever worked for! Management wants to micromanage everything now. The moral here is so low that people in France on in the IT team are looking for new jobs, I worked on a lot of networks over the years and this one is the biggest mess I ever had the displeasure of working on. They had to bring in a contractor to fix a 3-4 month issue with OSPF issue because none of the admins had the skill to fix it. Being a French company based in Lestrem there literally is NO path for career growth! Some of the tickets come in French? Big lauguage and cultural difference. Do yourself a favor and avoid this company at all cost! it's just a waste of time! The moral is so low now that no one gives a crap and that it NOT a healthy environment!

Advice to Management

This is a waste of time! This management has no clue what their doing. There is a serious communication problem with this company. Not to mention every project turns into a disaster because you have a bunch of technicians experimenting on a production network. Admins expect technicians to do their job while they socialize in the break room. Here's a clue management: Happy employees are productive employees and will put in the extra effort. Unhappy employees will just do their job and go home. That's why this is the worse network I ever worked on because no one gives a crap and no one takes responsibility.

4. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Keokuk, IA
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Keokuk, IA

I have been working at Roquette America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opprotunity for the ambitious. In process an enormous amount of low hanging fruit exists for the picking. Oprotunitues abound.

Cons

High salary turn over in management. Disorganization and shifting plant goals and focus.

5. "Good company - lots of potential"

Pros

Great people to work with, made work fun

Cons

Management organization is not suitable for achieving desired outcome

Advice to Management

Select competent persons to fill leadership roles

6. "Roquette America Keokuk Iowa"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Keokuk, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Keokuk, IA

I have been working at Roquette America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, bonuses. Solid headquarters, and potential to bring on new products and new facilities world wide. Food and pharma industry, so there is always a demand.

Cons

Some departments have a very poor work life balance. Company is constantly looking for a better way to do things, which is admirable, but they put the personnel through the learning curve then do not follow through on the changes.

Advice to Management

Management needs to start communicating with lower level employees. They are the nuts and bolts holding things together, and are never asked for any input. Things will never improve, if they don't know what to fix.

7. "Production"

Pros

Good work environment for people who want to work. Very little management, from operator to plant manager is only 2 levels. Pay is good for the area. Roquette has invested LARGE sums of dollars in the keokuk plant.

80% of the people are the best anywhere, great group to work with...

Cons

Many people, both Union and salaried feel they are entitled to a job, get over it people, if Roquette is so bad find another job. The biggest issues at Roquette has to do with this mindset.

Advice to Management

Keep the course, make changes when needed.

8. "Family Feel - Positioned for Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Roquette America full-time

Pros

Bringing in great talent; Company has a soul.

Cons

Trying to do too many things.

Advice to Management

Keep leading and prioritizing.

"RAI is circling the bowl. I hope it can be saved."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Keokuk, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Keokuk, IA

I worked at Roquette America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'm retired after nearly 40 years working at the Keokuk plant. I have seen a lot of changes and not much for the better.
    In spite of that, I made a decent living there to provide for my family.
    For the record, my living was much better in the early days than it had been since Roquette took over.
     I thank my lucky stars that I have been a good saver and a reasonably successful small investor because if I was a young person starting out there, it would not probably go as well.

Cons

What has Roquette in bad shape these days is a direct result of foolishly locking out its' hourly workforce for ten months in late 2010 and most of 2011. They have never recovered from that, but weren't in real good shape to begin with. A labor dispute was the last thing they needed. They have lost many good people and get enough local bad press as well as word of mouth criticism to the point they have difficulty hiring.

Advice to Management

Collectively, the management of Roquette America in Keokuk, Iowa could not organize a sock drawer.
    Get your heads out of that dark, stinky place and take a fresh look at what is really happening.
    Seriously work on your Say-Do Ratio. (Look it up.)
    People don't trust you anymore and I'm afraid rebuilding that trust is going to be a long road.
    I just hope for the sake of people still there and the community you're in that it's not too late.

"IT Project Coordinator"

Former Employee - IT Project Coordinator in Keokuk, IA
    Former Employee - IT Project Coordinator in Keokuk, IA

I worked at Roquette America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work in a global environment.

Cons

After working 20 years and having 14 active projects I was working on, they called me into an office on a Thursday afternoon and told me my job was being eliminated by the French parent company and they walked me out the door. 20 years of service, learning to speak French, and that was my 'Thank you'. Fortunately I landed a new job with another company with a $10K salary increase.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect. I could have worked many jobs in many areas, but they chose to walk me out the door. When managers are caught in lies to employees, have a backbone and take corrective action instead of burying your heads in the sand.