Rosalind Franklin University Reviews in North Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rosalind Franklin University President & CEO Michael Welch
Michael Welch

"WAS a Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Rosalind Franklin University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good and salary friendly.

Cons

Hard work and loyalty are not valued at this University anymore. "Everyone can be replaced" is the new mentality here. President is only a figure head and retiring at the end of 2016.

"My Honest Review of Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science"

Former Employee - Anonymous in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Rosalind Franklin University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The University demonstrates cultural diversity

Cons

• My comments do not reflect the university as a whole, but only for the department that I had worked in.

• The Finance department is very disorganized and unprofessional in terms of management’s work ethic.

• The person who oversees the department does not recognize employees’ contributions, nor does he give you clear answers when a question arises. This person also makes a general assumption of culture/characterization of ethnic groups based on one person’s negative attitude. He has discouraged employees from going to Human Resources as he feels that “HR shouldn’t get involved in our issues”.

• The manager talks to employees in a condescending manner. The manager will bombard you at any given time and will demand answers on the spot. If you cannot answer the question, her response will be “you have been here in your position for this amount of time, I expect you to know your duties!”. The manager will consistently scold you in front of staff and the Controller.

• I spent six months learning the job duties from my predecessor. Unfortunately, the training had come to an abrupt halt because the manager asserted on numerous occasions that “The way you learned is the wrong way, I know the right way, I have three accounting degrees, I have been doing this for many years. You are just starting out your career. I am your immediate supervisor, if you have questions, you ask me!”. It was very difficult working for her as she made you feel as if you did not know your job at all.

• A certain co-worker had felt insulted because I had asked someone a question when she felt that I should’ve asked her instead. Her response was “If you have questions you can ask me…wow, unbelievable”. Her apology towards me the next day was half-hearted after another co-worker had told her that her outburst was “unnecessary”.

• The Finance department at Rosalind Franklin University is one of the most toxic, uncomfortable, and volatile work environments I have ever worked for. Please think three times and reference this review before accepting a position in the Finance department at the University.

Advice to Management

If you do not care about the well being of your employees then why are you coming in to work? If you simply just don't want to solve the issue, then step down and let Human Resources solve the issue of the manager's demeanor.

3. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rosalind Franklin University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diversity
    good interprofessional education
    Excellent team culture

Cons

Research can become more collaborative.

"Favoritism"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in North Chicago, IL

Pros

The holiday schedule is pretty good.

Cons

They staff is racist towards students that aren't white or Americans

Advice to Management

Hire a more diverse staff.

6. "Probably Is"

I worked at Rosalind Franklin University full-time

Pros

Easygoing workplace. Decent benefits. Free parking.

Cons

This is in response to one of the previous posts. Yes, Rosalind is probably racially biased. But, what can you do ? Everyone's in each other's back pocket there. They seem to tend to be lazy, disorganized and unpleasant. Stay away !

Advice to Management

Retire.

7. "Not a good culture"

Current Employee - Researcher in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Researcher in North Chicago, IL

Pros

There is a small community

Cons

Low pay
    Worst management I have ever seen

Advice to Management

Retire please

"More work to be done than can be accomplished in time given. Low pay."

Former Employee - Administration in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administration in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Rosalind Franklin University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

RFUMS has become more widely respected in the academic/educational community -- but it has taken many years (decades). They have a teaching staff that is worthy of commendation and provides the level of education required for many careers in medicine. RFUMS continues to contribute excellent research data in significant areas. Their graduates are immediately employable and are generally knowledgeable and ready to begin building a career in their field of study. The office culture does vary from department to department and depends largely on the management style. Transferring from one department to another is relatively easy if qualifications exist. Many long-term employees have enjoyed decades of work with RFUMS, becoming experts in their particular work.

Cons

Deparmtent management varies greatly, which makes it difficult in accomplishing some tasks due to inter-office (or manager to manager) personal issues. There are instances where work was not accomplished due to management interference and/or lack of support. Cliques are very common and unless you find one where you're accepted, it's difficult to make friendships at RFUMS. Gossip is out of control -- and it causes some to be loners just to be safe. All of these pleasantries come with a low pay check preceded by inaccurate and berating reviews -- so as to justify low or no raises.

Advice to Management

It would be great if management would consider their employees best interest for long term growth and company satisfaction. Instead of thinking about how they will be impacted by an employees desire to transfer to another job in a different department, what a novel idea it would be to actually work with the individual to accomplish goals. Truthful reviews and encouragement along the way would be greatly appreciated as well.

9. "Learned a lot as a entry level employee"

Current Employee - Research Technician in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Research Technician in North Chicago, IL

Pros

I was more focused on the research position. As a entry level worker, I got chance to learn a lot.

Cons

The company itself is not that big hence the not a lot of things used to happen

10. "Underfunded university with excellent faculty and staff"

Former Employee - Research Technician in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Rosalind Franklin University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Faculty is motivated by development of science for science.
    Small university with only graduate and medical students.
    Small, highly collaborative laboratories.
    Excellent medically-oriented philosophies.
    Very informative and thorough HR - they take the time to get to know the staff members they represent.
    Excellent training for animal work, biohazard, and sexual harassment laws.

Cons

Underfunded overall, most labs don't bring in heavy grants and are struggling to stay afloat.
    Many labs are staffed by 3 or less staff members - a lot of responsibility per person without pay to reflect such.
    Low pay and little prospect for raises or promotions. This is unfortunate for faculty as well as staff because each position is kind of terminal, resulting in a higher than average turnover.

Salaries are typically non-negotiable. With low grant funding, the grants only allow a certain percentage to go to staff salary. Without bringing in many additional grants, salary is fixed and non-negotiable from the interview on.

Advice to Management

There should be a clear route to meet criteria to move up from technician level to associate level. Even if it requires 10,000 hours of work, it's a quantified goal. Going in with a fixed salary with no potential for a raise or a promotion makes every position transitional, which is not good for trying to perform the caliber research required to bring in additional grant funding.

11. "Really Needs better management"

Current Employee - Faculty in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Faculty in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rosalind Franklin University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice facilities. Staff & faculty are great.

Cons

Managers/Executives are told by faculty specifics of the vast and deep problems that exist and possible suggestions to remedy the issues. Those decision makers don't solve the problems- in fact faculty who report the problems are seen as trouble and to be gotten rid of. Podiatry school has many senior and mid-level people without real world practice experience, board certification or solid teaching credentials. There are multiple schools as part of the university, they are not treated equally.

Advice to Management

Management /Executives hiring other managers/executives that lack qualifications required of faculty, and then ignoring the faculty, is not working.