Rose Financial Services Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rose Financial Services President, CEO and Founder Ted Rose
Ted Rose

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Awesome Place to Work"

I have been working at Rose Financial Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very collaborative-team oriented work environment.
    Everyone goes out of their way to check in with each other and help out in whatever way they can -even the partners are more than happy to work side by side with employees.
    Your opinion really counts ! Management constantly asks for employees opinions and suggestions, and when given do everything in their power to execute it.
    Weekly employee activities-including popcorn day , food trucks on fridays , walking wednesdays...and other events like employee appreciation week and the holiday party.
    We have the worlds best coffee (very important for an accounting firm)
    Most importantly , RFS is very into giving back just because they can. We have a semi annual Meals for the Homeless event where the entire office gets involved in assembling sandwiches and lunch bags for those in need -this past time we made over 1,950 meals (which is incredible ).
    Management is very transparent with employees on the goals and recent progress with the company.
    I don't know how else to say "I love it here and you would be lucky to work here"

Cons

Fast paced and always changing -but , I like that. You don't learn anything if nothing ever changes and you are never bored.
    RFS is not for anyone who puts forth less then 100% effort all the time-that's what sets us apart from others and brings the firm together.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work !

2. "Accounting Staff"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Rockville, MD

I worked at Rose Financial Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work closely with your team members
    - great for leaning basics for a variety of accounting systems and processes

Cons

- poor management
    - Almost no training
    - high turnover
    - over worked
    - lower then average salaries for the industry
    - Low moral

Advice to Management

invest in your employees by developing their technical and management skills.

"Staff Accountant"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Rose Financial Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to learn the basic of creating financial reports.

Cons

There is no work-life balance.

4. "Fast-track learning environment!"

I worked at Rose Financial Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Learn full cycle accounting for multiple industries; multiple accounting systems
    - Mgmt places high expectations on staff allowing them to develop their leadership, problem solving and decision making skills in ways not offered at other companies.
    - Opportunity for growth is constant and realizable which is an excellent resume builder

Cons

- Can be stressful at times

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

5. "So much great experience and new friends!"

Pros

Working at RFS is like dog years: one year at RFS gives you 7 years' worth of experience anywhere else! You are consistently exposed to new, challenging responsibilities and are rewarded for meeting the challenge. Management is dedicated to the professional development and growth of all employees. Participating in the software development process can be very rewarding, if that type of thing interests you. Employees support each other - you will make lifelong friends at RFS!

Cons

Navigating quickly shifting priorities can be stressful.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees (benefits, resources, training, recognition) - they are your greatest resource!

"Great place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Rose Financial Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to learn from the ground up, you receive exposure to a variety of work and have the ability to learn different skill sets. Fast career growth potential, if your willing to work hard. Very team oriented, co-workers work together and are willing to help each other. Management values staff input and is hands on - willing to roll up their sleeves to get the job done.

Cons

The only constant is things are always changing, the company is always trying to grow and improve which means employees need to be adaptable to a changing environment. It is very fast-paced and often requires extra effort and hours.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees by developing their technical and management skills.

"Great company to work for!"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant

I worked at Rose Financial Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits are available, management are patient and knowledgable, great culture and environment to work in, friendly and supportive co-workers.

Cons

Demanding field of work, clients are sometimes unwilling to cooperate, deadline-driven approach that sometimes lacks learning opportunities and skill development.

Advice to Management

Focus on offering more learning opportunities and skill development training, such as training seminars.

8. "Loved Working at RFS"

Former Employee - Tax Manager in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Tax Manager in Rockville, MD

I worked at Rose Financial Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• Great stepping stone to new career, if Financial Accounting is your choice of Profession
    • Lots of learning experiences and resources. As an accountant, I had the opportunity to work on projects I did not think I would be permitted to anywhere else. The trust that was placed in me to execute on critical projects definitely allowed me to grow immensely through the experience
    • Opportunity for advancement. I ended up as a Team Leader from staff accountant in five years. I know six other people who experienced the same growth. Just do your work and you will get the proper recognition.
    • Lots of peer support. You become really good friends with your peer group. If you have a giant ego, you may not like it as much. Respect is definitely given to those that have deep experience in the industry, and they are expected to lead others and mentor more junior employees.
    • Benefits - Genuinely good benefits in compare to similar size entities. – 4 weeks of vacation, 2 days floating holidays, paid off for CPE time, competitive health insurance, disabilities insurance, Cafeteria Plan, competitive match in retirement benefit, etc..
    • Responsible for community – RFS Gives Back Private Foundations encourage employees to philanthropic engagement.
    • Events - RFS also has a lot of fun events, and I made a lot of friends working there, so going to the events was fun. I have been to a comedy show, two ice hockey games, several picnics, employee appreciation week, etc...
    • Work Life Balance - Work-life-balance seemed totally normal to me. It may be different depending on your team, but I felt you could do 40-50 hours of work a week for the most part and you would be totally fine. In my team, I was very flexible in managing my employee’s expectations. It's about what you produce, not how hard you're working. Of course, there could be times that people are expected to work extra if something critical happens. Now, there were many times where I chose to work late myself, but I never felt any pressure to do so. The caveat is that I had to be on my phone and email all the time. But that was expected only for the team leaders and above.
    • The best thing I can say is that working at RFS makes me a great accounting professional. RFS was my first accounting job in the US, I couldn’t have asked for a better place to grow myself professionally. I didn't experience any major setbacks and it was a pleasure working with a group of people who were all concerned with providing excellent service to their respective clients and making the best out of the time spent on doing it.

Cons

• RFS expects a lot out of employees and you can't slack off. Of course, you shouldn't slack off at any job, but since RFS is pretty fast-paced, there is a risk that you'll have trouble adjusting at first.
    • Training is too general, not specific enough to help sharpen one's technical skill set on a consistent basis. At the same token, employees also need to ask for the right training. While I was working as Tax Manager, they sent me to tax conferences.
    • Communication: I think the biggest change I want to see at RFS is the communication between management and employees. There were communications at times, but those were not clearly translated to their roles.

Advice to Management

I can’t give any advice to management. I worked closely with Ted, Tim and Jeanne for long time. Ted created RFS from scratch and ran it for 20 years. He knows lot more than any of the past and present employees. I can just say this; I loved working for RFS and would absolutely refer them to my friends.

"Good for an internship-not much else."

Former Employee - Assistant Controller in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Controller in Rockville, MD

I worked at Rose Financial Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a student, it would be a good place to understand the debits and credits of small to medium company transactions.

Cons

Career Opportunities are close to nil. You will not become a partner. It is a closely held company between 3 friends, that will never open to others. Promotions are very political. Hard and steady workers were over looked for advancement in my time there. The salary from staff to assistant controller is far less than average. Again, salary is very political and hard workers were routinely not rewarded for their efforts. RFS takes on clients that can't afford accounting teams of their own and many do not understand the business transaction that needs to be recorded. RFS Management does not understand the paradigm and gives little support to staff, seniors and middle management. The only partner that does actual work is Vargo. The other 2 are sales people with little practical knowledge of what its employees go through on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Ted has an inflated ego. He is unwilling to listen to advice of his clients and his employees. RFS will stay exactly where it is for the most part. It is a middling accounting service provider that makes its money off the fact that its clients can't afford a staff. However, what tends to happen is that RFS will lose these same clients as the economy betters -they get staff, economy worsens - can't afford RFS fees or they become dissatisfied with the service. Employee morale generally stays below average because they are not empowered, listened to or compensated market rates. Evidence of this will be the time employed at RFS. Most stay 2 years. You need to listen to your employees and redesign your production model.

10. "RFS is always hiring! Due to their high turn-over."

Former Employee - Accounting Staff in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Accounting Staff in Rockville, MD

I worked at Rose Financial Services full-time

Pros

-The staff is great. Very friendly and close group. (But all are looking to get out of the job)
    -Get to learn various accounting software.
    -Get good experience with different industries.

Cons

-Management wants to run things like a sweat shop. MUST hit billable hours even if you use PTO days (meaning you have to work extra long hours to make up for taking PTO)
    -Huddles are a waste of time.
    -Work just gets dumped on you with little to no help. It's pretty much sink or swim.

Advice to Management

Pay is way lower than average. The benefits are very bad. I had to get insurance on my own cause it was too expensive through RFS. Perhaps if you paid them better and had decent benefits people wouldn't all be trying to leave.