Rosecrance Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Coordinator"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Rockford, IL

I worked at Rosecrance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team work, great mission, leadership is educated and competent, a lot of employee incentives.

Cons

As in all behavioral health jobs, there is a lot of paperwork.

"Unit Speicalist"

Pros

Being able to help youth and watching them recover.

Cons

Horrible benefits. Managers don't care about employee or clients. It' s so sad because the clients can tell and it affects their recovery.

Advice to Management

Take the time to train your employees and show that you care. As a new former employee, I was thrown around with no direction.

"Mental Health Therapist"

Former Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Rockford, IL

I worked at Rosecrance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Majority of the co-workers I had, which were many due to turnover, were amazing individuals and were probably the best co-workers I will ever have. Seriously I still keep in touch with a handful of them and wish we could all work together again, just not at Rosecrance. Direct supervisors were always supportive.

Cons

Pay is low, which is expected working at a community mental health facility; however, when the company has a for profit feel and the employees know that the CEO makes well over 6 figures is entirely too frustrating. This is especially true for employees who have standards that, although are achievable with working over 40+ hours or having a 90 plus client caseload, are too high for wanting a healthy work/life balance or providing exceptional client care. Due to the lack of concern in regards to their employees work/life balance burnout happens frequently and quickly. Anyone who I worked with over two years there was burn out, and although the benefits in regards to PTO aren't horrible, the company does not create a culture that promotes a healthy balance. I had a former co-worker call the place a "factory" due to the heavy work load and expectations.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and work on adjusting the environment of "getting into trouble" because you aren't doing one of the million things needed. Every time upper management walked by or was in the building it was spread like wildfire as every was worried or on edge. Maybe hire individuals, like support staff, to assist with things such as documentation, case management, and other nonbillable services that get piled onto therapists along with their own expectations. Also, work on being transparent. The company is run like a for profit, either fix how it's run or pay employees better cause you can afford it and Phil Eaton can take a pay cut, let's be honest. I promise, your turnover rates will go down. You have great employees with great intentions and goals, listen to them, stop preaching at them during town halls. We honestly don't care what you have to say- I also may have played a game of Bingo with Phillisms because I can predict about 95% of what is going to be said during those meetings. All we want to know are how changes will impact us, we don't need to hear about all the cool renovations and new buildings elsewhere when it takes 3 plus years to get new carpet, new chairs/tables, and perhaps still waiting on a basketball hoop? Can you tell I worked at Berry Campus? My supervisors have always been amazing- support them, don't overwork them. When I haven't seen my supervisor all week because they are out of the building or at meetings, that's an issue. What's the point of their role if they are not present. Also, pay them better.

"Cult-like environment"

Former Employee - General in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - General in Champaign, IL

I worked at Rosecrance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the Champaign people left over from Community Elements and Prairie Center were really nice.

Cons

Very secretive and big brotherish company. CEO seems oblivious and the people waiting to take over for him are not much better. Upper management is out of touch and rude to employees and quite frankly don't care.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat at the top as well as the top two-three layers. Be more open with employees and value them. You need a flatter org chart. People shouldn't have 4-6 bosses above them. That's ridiculous.

"Not serious about recovery or life"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Pros

The unit specialists pour their hearts into trying to help the clients. With little to no training, there wasn't anything the unit specialists wouldn't do to try and save the clients life. It would be better if some of the upper management were recovering addicts as to better help the clients who are slipping through the cracks daily.

Cons

Since the buyout from Rosecrance from the previous owners, the current director has absolutely no clue what the clients need, the unit specialist need, nor the counselors. It is pure chaos as the director only tries to impress the higher ups for Rosecrance. With little to no experience with actual addiction nor what it is like to be an addict, the director and the cohorts lack empathy and respect for the sanctity of human life. The director is always unavailable, has no interest in training future employees with such a serious issue as addiction. The clients are left alone majority of the time slipping through the cracks due to inadequate employee numbers because the turn over rate is extremely high at the champaign site. Employees are hired as cattle to fill spots instead of being cared for and trained with a heart and mind of how to save these peoples lives. If you care about your loved one, find a better place for their safety, recovery and a hopeful future. With addiction it is about getting rid of chaos not creating more for such a vulnerable human being who is learning how to live for the first time in their life.

Advice to Management

Hire new management. Find a director that has walked the walk and talked the talk. Take time to train employees correctly, care about employees as well as the clients. It's about saving human lives not putting another abbreviation after your name.

6. "Unit Technician"

I worked at Rosecrance full-time

Pros

Casual atmosphere, diverse coworkers, free meals when in charge of the group, good PTO and benefits.

Cons

Long shifts, unpredictable hours and overtime if there's an issue on your unit, sometimes unrealistic expectations by higher-ups

Advice to Management

Try to remember what it's like to be a Unit Tech. I often felt like their expectations were unrealistic and the rules too rigid. I always felt like I flourished when I felt trusted to take charge of the group didactics.

7. "Beautiful pay and good hours"

Pros

Good hours , pay , and employees

Cons

May conflict with your school schedule

"Counselor"

Former Employee - Counselor in Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Counselor in Rockford, IL

I worked at Rosecrance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing and dedicated coworkers. Powerful mission that motivates. Benefit packages are wonderful, especially for a long term employee. Well kept facilities.

Cons

Top heavy in regards to executive leadership pay vs the salary range for direct care and lower management positions. Significant disparity between what is marketed as best practices and what is actually practiced in treatment settings. Best practices are compromised for financial gain. Cliques and politics are webbed into the dysfunctional culture. If you are not with the “it” crowd, then you are not good enough no matter what your bring to the team.

Advice to Management

Punitive disciplinary approach towards employees rather than utilizing strength based approach. More focus on “coaching out” rather than “coaching and mentoring” to enhance performance. Listen to staff giving feedback. They are the feet on the ground and in the trenches everyday. The feedback is valid. Dont dismiss or ignore it and then accuse lower management on poor retention rates. People leave the organization. Not the supervisor.

9. "Manager"

I have been working at Rosecrance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love working at Rosecrance. I like the opportunities provided to me for professional growth. I also appreciate and value the mission focus of the organization to provide help and recovery to clients with substance abuse and mental health issues. The Rosecrance Way informs our culture to listen with our heart, think outside the box, and focus on solutions not obstacles.

Cons

Working with individuals and families with Addiction and Mental Health disorders can be challenging but the rewards are immense. When people find out I work for Rosecrance, I hear many words of thanks about how Rosecrance helped their son, daughter, brother, husband, sister, wife achieve recovery.

"Values money more than the agency's mission."

Former Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rosecrance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clients, coworkers. Services the agency provides is great and has dedicated people. Staff truly care about the work they are doing and only stick around as long as they do because of the clients. But everyone has a breaking point. Training department was fantastic and actually something I miss at my new job. Very organized and helpful and ensured credentials were maintained.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of time management to manage extremely high case loads, money hungry, doesn't value employees, benefits only look good on paper, horrible HR department, management encouraged to give employees low scores on evaluations to avoid full raise, doesn't know how to boost morale, negative attitude from HR/management, doesn't value front line staff and sees them as warm bodies to generate billable services (which equals money). Wastes money on keeping up appearances.

Advice to Management

Revamp your HR department. No one in HR knows how to effectively communicate, unless you consider bullying, intimidation, condescension, and accusatory tones "effective". And value the employees that carry out the work. THEY are the ones that make a difference in the clients' lives... not management... not corporate. They are vital to the success of the agency and yet they are seen only for their potential to generate money for Phil.