Rosetta Stone Reviews | Glassdoor

Rosetta Stone Reviews

Updated May 1, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Rosetta Stone is a great company that offers good managements, work life balance and competitive compensation (in 15 reviews)

• convenient because I work from home, (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management was not as good as they could be at making tough decisions or conflict resolution (in 34 reviews)

• Ridiculous hours, terrible work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

"Caution: The stone is not that solid."

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people, great product, well-recognized brand, big brand, the brand

Cons

unstable, closing offices and downsizing,

Advice to Management

get more forward thinking leaders, be more exploratory

"Employee of 5 years"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Harrisonburg, VA
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Harrisonburg, VA

I worked at Rosetta Stone full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company has a great work life balance. They will reward the entire company with food or a party 1 time a year. Some great coworkers and in some departments it's like family. They promote within first.

Cons

Most departments are like high school. If you are not in the in crowd then the work environment is horrible. Company consistently had a huge lay off every year. No one is safe and they will fire you because they want to. Management can either be to easy or strict and treat you like a child. They over work and under pay their employees.

Advice to Management

Treat people how you want to be treated and be a leader not a boss.

"Business Development"

Former Employee - Business Development in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Development in Washington, DC

I worked at Rosetta Stone (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate people. Some sharp execs. Overall good culture.

Cons

Victim of public company short-term thinking. Not enough understanding of core product subject matter in company leadership.

Advice to Management

Take serious learners seriously if you want a future for the language business.

"Great Company & Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing office environment. I work in Arlington, but have been to Harrisonburg, and have heard great things about Boulder, Seattle and Austin being just as hip and fun! office perks such as corn hole, fooseball, free sodas, bagel Fridays, casual dress (jean every day, not just Friday), and flex hours/unlimited PTO. Great maternity program (12 weeks FULLY PAID), additional sick time. This is the Best Quarter we've had in years, and it was rewarded with 3 additional holidays (Friday before Memorial Day, Labor day and the 4th)! It is amazing that the CEO recognizes and rewards hard work.

Cons

Health care could be cheaper, but doable. Lay offs left a sour taste in some employees mouths, but sometimes it has to be done to re-brand/re-grow.

Advice to Management

Leadership needs to set a mission and drive that mission, vs. this ever changing point of view.

6. "Solid company"

Current Employee - Language Coach in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Language Coach in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Rosetta Stone offers a great opportunity for one to work from home in a unique learning environment. Coaching students from around the world never gets boring and makes every lesson challenging and unique. I love that I can enroll in the 401K program even as a part time employee and get some matching from the company. This is a great perk!

Cons

Limited hours and average pay.

"Really enjoy my job!"

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual work environment (who doesn't love coming to work in jeans everyday?). Great time off policy. Other nice perks - free drinks, bagel fridays, company softball game, etc. Managers are flexible with family obligations, doctors appointments and such. The Harrisonburg offices have merged in the past few months, and I really enjoy seeing people who I normally wouldn't run into!

Cons

Company restructuring has left a sour taste in the mouths of current and former employees. However, we are coming off the best Q1 in the past few years. Looks like we are getting on the right track now.

Advice to Management

Look to seek advice from the top and bottom of the company.

"Poor"

Former Employee - Management in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Management in Arlington, VA

I worked at Rosetta Stone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard working/smart people. Life-work balance is good depending on department you work for. Friendly team.

Cons

Maybe better with new CEO - before new CEO poor decision making, scattered identity of product and vision, non-cohesive executive committee. Almost functions like a start up, focus on bottom line and no investment in employees.

"a marketing company, not an ed tech company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

At a small scale, I worked with some really great folks here. That's what made the experience a bit of a tragedy. My co-workers were positive, energetic, and fun. Unfortunately, they were good people on a rudderless ship.

Cons

Faced with the danger of getting its lunch eaten by younger, more innovative startups in the language learning space, Rosetta Stone made a vague stab at modernization in 2013 and promptly aborted that effort in 2014. Management decided that innovation in education or technology was not the course the company would take and resumed allowing the company to be led by sales and marketing, dooming it to the slow death of attempting to squeeze every last drop out of a formerly very successful and innovative product, while neglecting any future.

As inevitable rounds of sweeping layoffs came, they were done carelessly, seemingly at random. I watched far too many excellent people get cast off without warning, before finally deciding to leave myself.

This is not a company for engineers, designers, or product developers. It's not a company that values innovation or cares much about its product and its future.

"Steadily declining"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers are generally great, unlimited PTO, flexibility in schedule and work environment is very helpful. Some of the management is fantastic.

Cons

There used to be so many more pros. The company has made terrible decisions over the last few years in acquisitions leading to a mostly horrible portfolio of products. Rather than fix anything, they continue to lay off anyone who knows how to use it and then push sales to sell a more than sub-par program. As someone who works with K-12 I constantly feel guilty when selling some products to schools because it feels like they are wasting their precious budgetary funds on garbage. Upper management changes plans to combat the stock being in almost constant free-fall and the rest of the employees have to deal with their poor judgment. Laying off an obscene percentage of the workforce just to make ends meet and not having someone competent to see who is actually valuable was in incredibly poor choice. The remaining employees suffer due to the ignorance of upper management.

Advice to Management

Find someone who knows what they are doing and put them in charge. It seems quite unlikely thought because most people would be disinterested in jumping off a lifeboat and swimming back to the sinking wreckage of the ship to try to organize.

11. "Good but could be even better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Rosetta Stone full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* leads (mostly) its product market ... at least, it's big and has resources
    * seems to have a decent balance between customer/employee satisfaction
    * great group of people
    * location

Cons

* there will be a struggle to remain relevant as its market shifts
    * revenue available for growth is in question

Advice to Management

Figure out the new market for mobile and web software before its too late.