Rosetta Stone Reviews | Glassdoor

Rosetta Stone Reviews

Updated January 22, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • convenient because I work from home, (in 15 reviews)

• Rosetta Stone is a great company that offers good managements, work life balance and competitive compensation (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management was not as good as they could be at making tough decisions or conflict resolution (in 35 reviews)

• Senior management was only focused on egos and had a difficult time managing people as well as profits (in 13 reviews)

"Business Development"

Former Employee - Business Development in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Development in Washington, DC

I worked at Rosetta Stone (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate people. Some sharp execs. Overall good culture.

Cons

Victim of public company short-term thinking. Not enough understanding of core product subject matter in company leadership.

Advice to Management

Take serious learners seriously if you want a future for the language business.

"Realize that the non-5 star reviews here are the honest ones"

I worked at Rosetta Stone (More than 3 years)

Pros

Over my time with Rosetta Stone, I truthfully can say that I was treated very well while working at the company. In the product organization, nearly everyone just worked incredibly well together, with very little conniving activity (with the exception of a few bad apples, but eventually are weeded out because of a poor culture mismatch).

I was always given much respect by my manager and colleagues and also given the opportunity to change my career path or try something new within the organization on a different team.

The product org is almost completely distributed, meaning you will certainly be working with a virtual team across the US and India. If you enjoy working from home, the fact that the teams are set up this way will ensure little reason to get into the office unless you choose to for the social aspect. Very few managers are actually located in the same city as they direct reports (speaking for the product organization only).

The company used to offer some offices, not all, a plethora of snacks and drinks but due the poor financial state of the company, this was discontinued.

There are a lot of caring people within the product organization and if you are fortunate enough to get one of these people as a manager, you will certainly be in good hands with them at your back. There seemed to be no micromanagement that I ever bore witness to.

The unlimited PTO is a nice touch to have available, as long as it's not abused obviously. I do suspect this change was made due to the high number of layoffs that occur so the company wouldn't be obligated to pay out vacation time in states where this is a legal obligation.

Cons

Realize, that all of these gleaming reviews here with little context saying how great the company is and how it's experiencing growing pains are almost certainly being produced by the HR department. Before you get too involved with a role with interviewing for a role with the company, take a look at the very poor company performance over the past few years. It has only trended down, and while I hope this changes there is little to point that this will happen.

The truth is that your future is about as uncertain as the direction the company's own. Year after year, they have had massive layoffs, typically laying off hundreds of employees. There is not much you can do to protect yourself either, as they layoff every role from Kiosk workers to developers. Make sure you are keeping an eye out for new jobs around the end of February to mid-March each year, because as certain as there will be a new iPhone each year, Rosetta Stone will be laying off employees.

The direction that the company decides to pursue has changed countless times over the past few years. Every couple of quarters you will hear about a new "pivot" that the company is deciding to pursue because the previous one isn't working out. While this impact on your complacency with the role you're in would be minimal, it's rather annoying as you will certainly be shifted around from project to project before the products you're building can get to a point of maturity.

Please note that day-to-day life is not miserable as the people you're working with are a bunch of great people. You won't be unhappy here because of a poor work environment, I just don't believe you will ever get a strong sense of permanency due to the continuously shifting company direction and annual layoffs.

Also, the pay is not on par with the industry standard; it is much lower which is understandable when there is little profit being made.

Advice to Management

You've done irreparable damage to the company morale. For those that remain until the company is acquired or the profit starts flowing in, there will need to be a large campaign to ensure those individuals can build trust again.

"Solid company"

Current Employee - Language Coach in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Language Coach in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Rosetta Stone offers a great opportunity for one to work from home in a unique learning environment. Coaching students from around the world never gets boring and makes every lesson challenging and unique. I love that I can enroll in the 401K program even as a part time employee and get some matching from the company. This is a great perk!

Cons

Limited hours and average pay.

"Great Company & Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing office environment. I work in Arlington, but have been to Harrisonburg, and have heard great things about Boulder, Seattle and Austin being just as hip and fun! office perks such as corn hole, fooseball, free sodas, bagel Fridays, casual dress (jean every day, not just Friday), and flex hours/unlimited PTO. Great maternity program (12 weeks FULLY PAID), additional sick time. This is the Best Quarter we've had in years, and it was rewarded with 3 additional holidays (Friday before Memorial Day, Labor day and the 4th)! It is amazing that the CEO recognizes and rewards hard work.

Cons

Health care could be cheaper, but doable. Lay offs left a sour taste in some employees mouths, but sometimes it has to be done to re-brand/re-grow.

Advice to Management

Leadership needs to set a mission and drive that mission, vs. this ever changing point of view.

"Really enjoy my job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual work environment (who doesn't love coming to work in jeans everyday?). Great time off policy. Other nice perks - free drinks, bagel fridays, company softball game, etc. Managers are flexible with family obligations, doctors appointments and such. The Harrisonburg offices have merged in the past few months, and I really enjoy seeing people who I normally wouldn't run into!

Cons

Company restructuring has left a sour taste in the mouths of current and former employees. However, we are coming off the best Q1 in the past few years. Looks like we are getting on the right track now.

Advice to Management

Look to seek advice from the top and bottom of the company.

"Poor"

Former Employee - Management in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Management in Arlington, VA

I worked at Rosetta Stone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard working/smart people. Life-work balance is good depending on department you work for. Friendly team.

Cons

Maybe better with new CEO - before new CEO poor decision making, scattered identity of product and vision, non-cohesive executive committee. Almost functions like a start up, focus on bottom line and no investment in employees.

"Run don't walk...."

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time

Pros

Unlimited PTO, work from home, and smart caring people.

Cons

The company is not turning around, and now is succumbing to the combination of bad decisions from acquisitions and layoffs. Political infighting is the norm not the exception.

Advice to Management

Management needs no advice at this point, we are lead by a CEO who is a specialist in decomposing companies. He knows what needs to happen next.

"a marketing company, not an ed tech company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

At a small scale, I worked with some really great folks here. That's what made the experience a bit of a tragedy. My co-workers were positive, energetic, and fun. Unfortunately, they were good people on a rudderless ship.

Cons

Faced with the danger of getting its lunch eaten by younger, more innovative startups in the language learning space, Rosetta Stone made a vague stab at modernization in 2013 and promptly aborted that effort in 2014. Management decided that innovation in education or technology was not the course the company would take and resumed allowing the company to be led by sales and marketing, dooming it to the slow death of attempting to squeeze every last drop out of a formerly very successful and innovative product, while neglecting any future.

As inevitable rounds of sweeping layoffs came, they were done carelessly, seemingly at random. I watched far too many excellent people get cast off without warning, before finally deciding to leave myself.

This is not a company for engineers, designers, or product developers. It's not a company that values innovation or cares much about its product and its future.

9. "Manager"

I worked at Rosetta Stone (More than a year)

Pros

The start-up like environment was infectiously exciting. The teams were comprised of smart people who worked and played hard.

Cons

Long intense hours were the norm, especially during the last month of a quarter / year when attempting to hit performance targets.

Advice to Management

Continue to push for innovation and accountability for all empmoyees. All empmoyees should be required to at least complete one course level of the product to ensure product familiarity.

"Steadily declining"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers are generally great, unlimited PTO, flexibility in schedule and work environment is very helpful. Some of the management is fantastic.

Cons

There used to be so many more pros. The company has made terrible decisions over the last few years in acquisitions leading to a mostly horrible portfolio of products. Rather than fix anything, they continue to lay off anyone who knows how to use it and then push sales to sell a more than sub-par program. As someone who works with K-12 I constantly feel guilty when selling some products to schools because it feels like they are wasting their precious budgetary funds on garbage. Upper management changes plans to combat the stock being in almost constant free-fall and the rest of the employees have to deal with their poor judgment. Laying off an obscene percentage of the workforce just to make ends meet and not having someone competent to see who is actually valuable was in incredibly poor choice. The remaining employees suffer due to the ignorance of upper management.

Advice to Management

Find someone who knows what they are doing and put them in charge. It seems quite unlikely thought because most people would be disinterested in jumping off a lifeboat and swimming back to the sinking wreckage of the ship to try to organize.