Ross Stores "20 discount" Reviews | Glassdoor

Ross Stores Employee Reviews about "20 discount"

Updated Dec 2, 2019

3.2
Ross Stores CEO Barbara Rentler
Barbara Rentler
1,134 Ratings
Pros
  • "Employee discount of 20% all time and 40% occasionally(in 281 reviews)

• "20% discount applies everyday and as many times as you want(in 236 reviews)

Cons
  • "Part time night shift not to bad(in 209 reviews)

• "Minimum wage , no opportunities to grow(in 177 reviews)

Reviews about "20 discount"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Reccomend 10/10"

Current Intern - Productivity in Moreno Valley, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores for less than a year

Pros

As an intern, you are given a lot of trust and responsibility that one should take advantage of to gain real-life work experience. As a CPP student, many of the material we learn in classes are transcribed into the work force here. All of the work content is hands on, and you are given enough time/liberty to work on projects. It's a good place to get started, gain exposure, and even consider a career. Ross does... offers a 20% discount to interns everyday, and 40% off the store on select days.

Cons

As an Industrial Engineer, you must decide if productivity engineering is the route you want to take. Sometimes working Saturday may be required, however not sure if that applies to the interns.

Advice to Management

Continue working on the culture, and listening to associates.

Ross Stores2019-07-15
  2. "Toxic"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate/Cashier

I worked at Ross Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

20% discount was the only thing

Cons

Bad hours, horrible management, when I got another job I realized how toxic Ross was they didn’t care about me they only cared about the work and management would get mad at me whenever I would do something eventhough they never taught me how. They would delay teaching me stuff and my coworkers would tell me to do this and I would do it but would get in trouble because that’s not how you do it and there was this... manager who was really rude. When I started they bragged about how much I was going to love it but it was awful and they would overwork me. On top of that customers would treat you like garbage for trying to do your job and follow the company policy. Everyone I worked with at Ross wouldn’t do their job correctly, the only person happy to be working there was the store manager, there was one assistant manager who was constantly giving attitude to customers. Ross doesn’t care about their employees or customers they only care about the money

Advice to Management

Do a better job

Ross Stores2019-12-03
  3. "Not bad place to work, needs better management"

Former Employee - Stock Associate

I worked at Ross Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

20% discount, 40% discount every 4 months, work is early in the morning, decent pay for work.

Cons

Favoritism, don't work here if you're a spender.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone equally and make sure everyone works, including your "favorites" .

Ross Stores2019-10-22
  4. "Has room for improvement"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

20% discount and double discounts a few times per year. New dress code. No credit card to push. Flexible hours as a second job.

Cons

No wifi. It would be nice on breaks. For sales floor we need more SF people to help clean up the store. Having one person to help back up for the front end and do their assignments is exhausting. There are usually only a few uninterrupted hours during their whole shift to organize anything and something always gets left messy because there is no time. For cashiering we definitely need more support. Out of all the... positions this one gets the least help with assignments. You get help with the line but are expected to organize the impulse line, electronics, and luggage. I have to process all the hangers from the day shift, returns, and sort hard tags. You have to clean up the entire queue line for all the registers and make sure to hang and scan all clothes. Also you have to help with bags and jewelry. You also have to get observed and "coached" daily on your performance.

Advice to Management

Stop with the daily coaching for cashiers. It is overkill and once a month is sufficient unless the cashier feels like they need more regular coaching. Also have more support for sales and cashiers. Have two cashiers and two sales floor people to close. Or at the very least have two people who have a mid shift so they can help with some of the assignments and the closer doesn't get everything dumped on them. Let us... give away some hangers because we have too many and no place to put them.

Ross Stores2019-10-28

"Run job will cause major health issues"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee discount 20% 3 times a year 40% off. Some co worker are nice

Cons

Store management are bullies /lack compassion & if you are not a favorite you get treated like crap. No raises, no hours and tons of work while others goof off. Company hotline is a joke since the complaints are forward to the store managers so if one of them or favorites are reported everyone knows who & what was said. Stores open till midnight which makes for a unsafe work environment. Job will take... a mental toll

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites, have some compassion. CEO & District close stores by 10 pm so employees can feel safe . Plus stop pushing the employees to perform at a pace that is not reachable .

Ross Stores2019-11-10
  6. "Very Boring"

Current Employee - SPS in Miami, FL

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits of 20% discount

Cons

Stand in one spot and observe. No Chair and stand for hours on end.

Ross Stores2019-10-02

"Toxic Work Environment"

Current Employee - Stockroom Lead in Phila, PA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good insurance, good discount 20% and then doubles to 40% at least 3 times a year for employee appreciation week, paid maternity leave if full time, you acrue vacation and sick time very quickly and they like to promote within the company

Cons

Toxic work environment, provide very minimal payroll so there are never enough associates scheduled for the work load, unrealistic expectations for getting work done and expect you to do the work of multiple people in the same amount of time

Ross Stores2019-08-22
  8. "Time goes by fast because you are always busy."

Current Employee - Stock Associate in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

The 20 % discount is a great perk sine majority of employees are part time and get no benefits or perks.

Cons

The company is not green. Ross stores throws away Everything! Makes me sad all the waste that takes place.

Advice to Management

Better training guidelines & measures need to be in place.

Ross Stores2019-08-07
  9. "Good part time job with great discount but retail is retail"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

20% discount and 40% discount three times a year. If you dont finish cleaning what they wanted you to before you have to leave there are often no repercussions. Doing your job wrong just means they wont put you on that job again in my store. Day and midday shifts are the best because you can leave no matter what you have been able to finish cleaning.

Cons

Night shift means cleaning everything. If you're back up cashier that means you will be running around the most that night trying to clean most of the store and having to cover everyones breaks and cashier. Sometimes when it is well staffed things run smooth but many times there is not enough people on the schedule or someone calls out. management can be lazy and sucks at training, they do not divide work evenly;... its best to do your job evenly paced and average so that they wont keep piling work on for you to do.

Advice to Management

Better training and work division

Ross Stores2019-06-10

"Not Worth It"

Former Employee - Area Supervisor

I worked at Ross Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to meet amazing people. It is easy to move up the ladder if you want to and do the work. 20% discount

Cons

Horrible management, they push you to your limit for little pay. You get assigned a lot of work to finish in a small of amount time. As a supervisor, you have to be really hard on the employees. When someone calls in sick, they expect you to yell at the employee. The customers are so rude and messy; we had a lot of thieves every day.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees decent wages and treat them like human beings

Ross Stores2019-06-13