Ross Stores Reviews in Denver, CO | Glassdoor

Barbara Rentler
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • inflexible work / life balance (yes it's a typical 9-5 but doesn't really leave room for WFH or half days to attend to personal matters) (in 78 reviews)

• but if its part time hours you want you'll be ok (in 169 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Ross Stores (Less than a year)

Pros

employee discount 20%, double discount days, friendly associates

Cons

Upper management was too focused on being on process, to the point that they would ignore common sense changes that people made.

Advice to Management

be more flexible when assessing stores, and more sympathetic to the constraints placed on store managers due to payroll

2. "Awesome prices"

Current Employee - Cashier in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Cashier in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of new merchandise. Awesome prices good 401K plan and an AWESOME stock plan

Cons

Sometimesthe lines are long BUT they get you in and out FAST!!!

Advice to Management

Don't change

3. "Loss Prevention"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are opportunities for advancement in Loss Prevention at the store level for those who perform at a higher level.

Cons

Unfortunately for those who aspire to work at the district level and beyond, there are currently no opportunities for further advancement in Loss Prevention regardless of performance, past experience, and education .At least in this area at this time.

"Great Job for college students."

Current Employee - Markdown Lead/Cashier in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Markdown Lead/Cashier in Denver, CO

Pros

Flexibility with my schedule! Nice discounts

Cons

Training would be better especially in the holiday season when ross is the best place to shop for deals

Advice to Management

I think having more support for the stock team would be great considering they have so much pressure to get things done quickly and efficiently. Defiantly the hardest job at ROSS.

5. "Easy retail work"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy retail work for the pay.

Cons

Customers are rude. Late hours

6. "If you want anything other than a "job" DONT APPLY"

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Discount, Flexible Schedule, good merchandise and deals, work is simple with no sales pitch or credit cards to push.

Cons

Work is tedious and there is no support. As an hourly associate you have to clean the whole store every day with little to no assistance. Management is always forced to cut hours off the floor to support the stock team. Most of your fellow workers call in all the time and you are nearly ALWAYS short handed. Customers are beyond messy! They literally will throw things on the floor in front of you. One customer told me as he did it..."It's your @#@$%$# job; get used to it."

The company gives 3% raises if you are lucky and everyone starts at minimum wage unless hired as a supervisor.

There are no perks other than the discount. The only thing the company cares about is profit and loss prevention and both are more important than the customer. Even the Loss Prevention Manager said the in store security was a priority over even ringing up customers.

Turn over is constant from Managers down.

Advice to Management

Remember when it used to be about CUSTOMER SERVICE AND customer EXPERIENCE in the store?

7. "Don't go in with high expectations"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good introduction to working in retail and you'll gain some practical experience. Some of the employees can be very enjoyable to work with and genuinely helpful.

Cons

Management that's inflexible and quick to place blame. Some of the worst customers you can possibly imagine dealing with.. Don't ever expect to be able to plan something more than a few days in advance, your schedule is changed unpredictably if you're not full-time and they make no allowances for personal situations.

Advice to Management

Be a little bit more flexible with employee needs and don't be so quick to assume that a situation is automatically the employee's fault.

"Decent place to work"

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Denver, CO

Pros

I worked here for a summer. The other employees were nice, the management was competent, and it wasn't hard work. I was working in food service before, helping about 500 customers a day, so Ross was a nice change. Our store wasn't very busy. I never had a line of more than two customers whereas in my last job I had constant lines out the door.

My duties included cash register, answering the phone, cleaning up the store, building displays, and sometimes working stocking shelves. It was easy work. Nothing really to complain about.

My managers were all very nice, trained me well, and gave me good feedback.

Cons

The only real con is that it was boring. Putting pants on hangers and arranging soap dishes on shelves for 8 hours a day isn't exactly fun, but that's not Ross's fault. Also, the pay was min wage, but this is standard across the retail industry so you can't really complain. It would be nice though if Ross paid a little more.

The only other thing I can think of is that they give out these things called Star Cards. Basically, your manager gives you a star card when they think you've done a good job. I guess it's nice to get the recognition, but they're pointless. I had like 50 star cards and it would have been nice to get some real recognition like a bonus or a pay raise.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more to retain the best and keep hiring competent managers.

Showing 8 of 3,242 reviews