Ross Stores Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ross Stores CEO Barbara Rentler
Barbara Rentler

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes long working days that keep from having a work/life balance (in 73 reviews)

• but if its part time hours you want you'll be ok (in 161 reviews)

1. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ross Stores part-time

Pros

I enjoyed coworkers & the register made the day go buy fast

Cons

Fired me becuase lost a close family & didn't wanna come in work the next day .

Advice to Management

Ask your manager and supervisors to have a little bit more compassion .

"Store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Create your own schedule, co workers

Cons

Upper management, lack of development, freight, payroll, value of seasoned employees is non existent

Advice to Management

There is zero accountability for upper management's lack of development with its store managers. District managers work remotely, mostly from home, while store managers work pretty much independently. While you do learn a lot about running a business, there is no bridge to get to the next level if you are a store manager, particularly on the east coast. No one is getting promoted from within to become a DM or DM in training and you're being told you are not ready. But there is zero focus on getting anyone ready. Instead, you're just shuffled around from one problem store to the other. This is done under the guise of it will be good for your development yet there is no follow up beyond that. You just end of being a placeholder. There is no developmental support at all, you just get told that in order to move up you have to get your building in order first. However, Ross stores are seriously underfunded and a lot of them are in less than savory neighborhoods. External theft is a MAJOR issue. The amount of time and payroll you get to clear daily freight is minuscule. Store managers mostly spend their days "putting out fires." The compensation is not competitive enough, especially for part time associates. Fast food chains, amazon, and other retailers who are in direct competition with Ross i.e TJ MAXX, pay way more than Ross' starting rate which makes hiring and retaining associates a major challenge. Store managers are leaving this company left and right and there still doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency as to why. While yes, everyone is replaceable, store managers are being treated as such, like a number and not a valued member of the team. Ross has a great business model and are adding more stores while other retailers are shutting their doors, the internal issues are what makes this not a great company to work for if you're in it for the long haul. People work for people, not for a company, and the people who are the district and zone leaders in this company have just seriously dropped the ball when it comes to developing its store leaders and I don't think they care enough to pick that ball up anytime soon.

"Experience Working For Ross"

Former Employee - Mobile Store Protection Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Mobile Store Protection Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The managerial staff was reasonable with my scheduling needs and although you may have to wait a while, when vacation time begins to accrue it is very helpful. Vacation time rolls over into the next year which allows you to somewhat stockpile

Cons

Depending on the manager, some things which seem pretty insignificant are stressed. In some cases people will be held accountable for not memorizing certain pieces of information like shrink trends. The approach to controlling shrink is loose, no apprehensions are made, which was ok with me, but punishing people for not remember ing numbers was annoying

Advice to Management

Befriend your co-workers while reminding them that you are the authority, most people are only there to get a check and pay some bills, very few see it as a long term career. If you earn the respect of your employees they will listen and it will make the job a lot easier

"Seasonal Associate"

Former Contractor - Retail Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Contractor - Retail Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ross Stores as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is good. Especially on a Tuesday. The hours are flexible and management works with you if you need a day off as long as you tell them in advance.
    Generally speaking I've found the shift managers to be very nice. It's a good atmosphere to work in if you really into team work. This is the the place for you!

Cons

1) Management can be very disorganized sometimes and often don't delegate tasks efficiently. 2) NEVER work the last shift of the day, it's a terrible 2-3 hour rush of frenzy to get the store ready for the morning shift.
    3) The computer systems for the cash register are terrible. There is a timer on the computer which deducts points if you don't check the customer out on time. WHICH IS TERRIBLE because if a customer is digging around in their purse for money to pay and the timer is going....guess who gets points deducted. Eventually if your points aren't good you get called in the office and eventually fired.

Advice to Management

Find a way to delegate your resources more efficiently.

6. "Area Supervisor"

Former Employee - Area Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Area Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Ross discount is awesome and you get double discounts three times a year. It is a fun atmosphere and a fashion haven.

Cons

Training is good but unscheduled and haphazard. Most employees are over-worked and under-paid. The hour to employee ratio is not set up correctly. There are always budget and hourly cuts because of that reason.

Advice to Management

Keep staffed better organized. Offer more hours and a more competitive pay rate.

"Little pay for too much work"

Former Employee - Cash Office and Front End Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Cash Office and Front End Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount was 20% and double discount week was 40%
    Easy way to get promoted to higher positions

Cons

Hours were not consistent
    Managers played favorites and most of the times belittle employees
    Too much work and unreasonable goals
    Store always was messy because management would not stay on top of things
    Managers never approved schedule changes, I went to college and because of that my managers said I would have to receive maybe 4-8 hours a week only
    Promotion to full time seems based on managers favorite employees

Advice to Management

Stop playing favoritism
    Have more control on associates when working
    Listen to associates
    Have more people on the floor when it is busy
    Everyone should get reasonable hours

"Seasonal Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

- helping customers
    - friendly associates

Cons

- lack of hours due to store budget
    - unable to view or alter schedule from home computer/phone

9. "interesting environment"

Former Employee - Stocker in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Stocker in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ross Stores (Less than a year)

Pros

cool place to work fun inspiring nice people

Cons

no comments nothing to complain about

10. "Couple Months at Ross"

Former Employee - Ross Associate/Security Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Ross Associate/Security Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ross Stores (Less than a year)

Pros

fast Pace enviorment, loved the staff and appreciated the extra hours

Cons

Minimum wage job...feels over worked for a job that pays evey two weeks

"Can be brutal"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount, and friendly co-workers

Cons

Customers are usually rude and impatient. Also, the training needs to be more improved, I started working a few days ago and had training for 20 mins and was told to stay at the SPC register and deal with customers. I would get told to hurry up but never got a chance to learn the ropes. They pressure you to work fast but don't consider that sometimes the customers are the slow ones and what is up with the cashier system. I think its beyond stupid to make a cashier consistently punch in their numbers for every transactions. It delays the process and it's worse when the customers have items with no tags and expect you to know everything. Some of managers are nice and helpful while the other managers are rude and irritated when I ask questions on how to work certain things. Now i'm working the cash register without knowing anything about the register. And why is it that an employee of Ross for 10 months gets easier jobs then a new employee of 10 days. The only reason I took the job is because there is this internship program for the summer of my junior year that allows me to become an assistant manager and I want to try to change the system and help the employees get recognized.

Advice to Management

I suggest to increase the training period, ask the employee if they are comfortable with difficult task such as SPC or Cashier, start them off with small tasks that will help them learn more about the store. Also, think of changing the cashier system so its not a hassle for both customer and employees. And make the managers responsible for all new employees faults because its demoralizing when a new employee has to get yelled at by a customer because they aren't trained right. Finally, make a better commitment to the employees because we work hard but aren't recognized that often.

Showing 17 of 2,943 reviews