Ross Stores Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Barbara Rentler
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • inflexible work / life balance (yes it's a typical 9-5 but doesn't really leave room for WFH or half days to attend to personal matters) (in 84 reviews)

• Some people don't like the hours I don't mind it since I'm a part time student (in 176 reviews)

"Store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Create your own schedule, co workers

Cons

Upper management, lack of development, freight, payroll, value of seasoned employees is non existent

Advice to Management

There is zero accountability for upper management's lack of development with its store managers. District managers work remotely, mostly from home, while store managers work pretty much independently. While you do learn a lot about running a business, there is no bridge to get to the next level if you are a store manager, particularly on the east coast. No one is getting promoted from within to become a DM or DM in training and you're being told you are not ready. But there is zero focus on getting anyone ready. Instead, you're just shuffled around from one problem store to the other. This is done under the guise of it will be good for your development yet there is no follow up beyond that. You just end of being a placeholder. There is no developmental support at all, you just get told that in order to move up you have to get your building in order first. However, Ross stores are seriously underfunded and a lot of them are in less than savory neighborhoods. External theft is a MAJOR issue. The amount of time and payroll you get to clear daily freight is minuscule. Store managers mostly spend their days "putting out fires." The compensation is not competitive enough, especially for part time associates. Fast food chains, amazon, and other retailers who are in direct competition with Ross i.e TJ MAXX, pay way more than Ross' starting rate which makes hiring and retaining associates a major challenge. Store managers are leaving this company left and right and there still doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency as to why. While yes, everyone is replaceable, store managers are being treated as such, like a number and not a valued member of the team. Ross has a great business model and are adding more stores while other retailers are shutting their doors, the internal issues are what makes this not a great company to work for if you're in it for the long haul. People work for people, not for a company, and the people who are the district and zone leaders in this company have just seriously dropped the ball when it comes to developing its store leaders and I don't think they care enough to pick that ball up anytime soon.

"Little pay for too much work"

Former Employee - Cash Office and Front End Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Cash Office and Front End Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount was 20% and double discount week was 40%
    Easy way to get promoted to higher positions

Cons

Hours were not consistent
    Managers played favorites and most of the times belittle employees
    Too much work and unreasonable goals
    Store always was messy because management would not stay on top of things
    Managers never approved schedule changes, I went to college and because of that my managers said I would have to receive maybe 4-8 hours a week only
    Promotion to full time seems based on managers favorite employees

Advice to Management

Stop playing favoritism
    Have more control on associates when working
    Listen to associates
    Have more people on the floor when it is busy
    Everyone should get reasonable hours

"Seasonal Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

- helping customers
    - friendly associates

Cons

- lack of hours due to store budget
    - unable to view or alter schedule from home computer/phone

"Can be brutal"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount, and friendly co-workers

Cons

Customers are usually rude and impatient. Also, the training needs to be more improved, I started working a few days ago and had training for 20 mins and was told to stay at the SPC register and deal with customers. I would get told to hurry up but never got a chance to learn the ropes. They pressure you to work fast but don't consider that sometimes the customers are the slow ones and what is up with the cashier system. I think its beyond stupid to make a cashier consistently punch in their numbers for every transactions. It delays the process and it's worse when the customers have items with no tags and expect you to know everything. Some of managers are nice and helpful while the other managers are rude and irritated when I ask questions on how to work certain things. Now i'm working the cash register without knowing anything about the register. And why is it that an employee of Ross for 10 months gets easier jobs then a new employee of 10 days. The only reason I took the job is because there is this internship program for the summer of my junior year that allows me to become an assistant manager and I want to try to change the system and help the employees get recognized.

Advice to Management

I suggest to increase the training period, ask the employee if they are comfortable with difficult task such as SPC or Cashier, start them off with small tasks that will help them learn more about the store. Also, think of changing the cashier system so its not a hassle for both customer and employees. And make the managers responsible for all new employees faults because its demoralizing when a new employee has to get yelled at by a customer because they aren't trained right. Finally, make a better commitment to the employees because we work hard but aren't recognized that often.

"Company forces Management to in force unrealistic expectations on associates"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Ross will pay new managers extremely well if you negotiate.

Cons

Constant upper management changes. Associates are are expected to work at unrealistic pace for low wages.

Showing 5 of 3,492 reviews