Ross Stores Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ross Stores CEO Barbara Rentler
Barbara Rentler

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes long working days that keep from having a work/life balance (in 73 reviews)

• but if its part time hours you want you'll be ok (in 161 reviews)

"It is frustrating to see people be handpicked to move ahead while other people quit because they have been ignored."

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only good thing is the discount. The job is aimed at children who still live at home so they can get money off merchandise.

Cons

There is currently a constant feeling of 'I'm the next to go' among certain demographics. It is exhausting to go to work for any shift.

Advice to Management

In store management is out of control. If you aren't aware of your rights, they will trample them. Even to the point of breaking the law.

"Not worth the trouble for minimum wage!!!!"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are very flexible with there employees, even if its last minute.

Cons

The schedule is always late so don't make any plans for next week, because they never put it up until Friday which is two days before the new week starts. Managers never consider things you may come up with to help the production of the store.

Advice to Management

Train people correctly before they are assigned to major responsibility, example hard tagging, sizing, and register.

"Company forces Management to in force unrealistic expectations on associates"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Ross will pay new managers extremely well if you negotiate.

Cons

Constant upper management changes. Associates are are expected to work at unrealistic pace for low wages.

"Can be brutal"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount, and friendly co-workers

Cons

Customers are usually rude and impatient. Also, the training needs to be more improved, I started working a few days ago and had training for 20 mins and was told to stay at the SPC register and deal with customers. I would get told to hurry up but never got a chance to learn the ropes. They pressure you to work fast but don't consider that sometimes the customers are the slow ones and what is up with the cashier system. I think its beyond stupid to make a cashier consistently punch in their numbers for every transactions. It delays the process and it's worse when the customers have items with no tags and expect you to know everything. Some of managers are nice and helpful while the other managers are rude and irritated when I ask questions on how to work certain things. Now i'm working the cash register without knowing anything about the register. And why is it that an employee of Ross for 10 months gets easier jobs then a new employee of 10 days. The only reason I took the job is because there is this internship program for the summer of my junior year that allows me to become an assistant manager and I want to try to change the system and help the employees get recognized.

Advice to Management

I suggest to increase the training period, ask the employee if they are comfortable with difficult task such as SPC or Cashier, start them off with small tasks that will help them learn more about the store. Also, think of changing the cashier system so its not a hassle for both customer and employees. And make the managers responsible for all new employees faults because its demoralizing when a new employee has to get yelled at by a customer because they aren't trained right. Finally, make a better commitment to the employees because we work hard but aren't recognized that often.

"Seasonal Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

- helping customers
    - friendly associates

Cons

- lack of hours due to store budget
    - unable to view or alter schedule from home computer/phone

"Little pay for too much work"

Former Employee - Cash Office and Front End Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Cash Office and Front End Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount was 20% and double discount week was 40%
    Easy way to get promoted to higher positions

Cons

Hours were not consistent
    Managers played favorites and most of the times belittle employees
    Too much work and unreasonable goals
    Store always was messy because management would not stay on top of things
    Managers never approved schedule changes, I went to college and because of that my managers said I would have to receive maybe 4-8 hours a week only
    Promotion to full time seems based on managers favorite employees

Advice to Management

Stop playing favoritism
    Have more control on associates when working
    Listen to associates
    Have more people on the floor when it is busy
    Everyone should get reasonable hours

"Store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Create your own schedule, co workers

Cons

Upper management, lack of development, freight, payroll, value of seasoned employees is non existent

Advice to Management

There is zero accountability for upper management's lack of development with its store managers. District managers work remotely, mostly from home, while store managers work pretty much independently. While you do learn a lot about running a business, there is no bridge to get to the next level if you are a store manager, particularly on the east coast. No one is getting promoted from within to become a DM or DM in training and you're being told you are not ready. But there is zero focus on getting anyone ready. Instead, you're just shuffled around from one problem store to the other. This is done under the guise of it will be good for your development yet there is no follow up beyond that. You just end of being a placeholder. There is no developmental support at all, you just get told that in order to move up you have to get your building in order first. However, Ross stores are seriously underfunded and a lot of them are in less than savory neighborhoods. External theft is a MAJOR issue. The amount of time and payroll you get to clear daily freight is minuscule. Store managers mostly spend their days "putting out fires." The compensation is not competitive enough, especially for part time associates. Fast food chains, amazon, and other retailers who are in direct competition with Ross i.e TJ MAXX, pay way more than Ross' starting rate which makes hiring and retaining associates a major challenge. Store managers are leaving this company left and right and there still doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency as to why. While yes, everyone is replaceable, store managers are being treated as such, like a number and not a valued member of the team. Ross has a great business model and are adding more stores while other retailers are shutting their doors, the internal issues are what makes this not a great company to work for if you're in it for the long haul. People work for people, not for a company, and the people who are the district and zone leaders in this company have just seriously dropped the ball when it comes to developing its store leaders and I don't think they care enough to pick that ball up anytime soon.

"Payroll"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to run if your not a inner city store

Cons

Stores are asked to work with very little payroll. Merchandise flow is inconsistent.

"I liked the employees more than anything. The company could be ran better."

Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the employees at Ross. The regular employee discounts were 20% while every three months there was a double discount of 40%.

Cons

For my education and experience I wish the pay was higher. Management was often short because the store manager traveled a lot which was more work for the other managers. The district manager could have done more to help out with shortages but instead insisted that it was helping payroll. This burns people out and makes the workplace undesirable to work for.

Advice to Management

PAYROLL should be used to benefit the employees. After all, there were people who wanted to work more hours but weren't able to because of payroll issues.

11. "Couple Months at Ross"

Former Employee - Ross Associate/Security Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Ross Associate/Security Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ross Stores (Less than a year)

Pros

fast Pace enviorment, loved the staff and appreciated the extra hours

Cons

Minimum wage job...feels over worked for a job that pays evey two weeks

Showing 17 of 2,954 reviews