Ross Stores Reviews in Pleasanton, CA | Glassdoor

Ross Stores CEO Barbara Rentler
Barbara Rentler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • inflexible work / life balance (yes it's a typical 9-5 but doesn't really leave room for WFH or half days to attend to personal matters) (in 78 reviews)

• but if its part time hours you want you'll be ok (in 169 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong performance for past 10 years

Cons

very conservative company culture and slow to add people

"Invest in them, do not work for them!"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great stock options. If you don't invest in it, you are wasting your time! Employee discount.

Cons

I have to echo the same as others who talked about management, long houros, etc. It's comparable to being in an abusive relationship. You can work really hard and give it your best, but you will never be good enough.

Advice to Management

I don't think you will ever learn. You can change the management, they will be nice at first, but eventually they will drive their employees the same way the last management did and drive the employee of the company (they will quit or receive an Action Plan). It's Ross Pay for Less.

"Merchandising"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Proactive company, looks to the future, great execution of plans, innovative for a retailer. recognizes a person's skills and competencies and promotes from within. solid company.

Cons

limited career opportunities since it's a very established company, minimal growth

Advice to Management

make sure that middle management has the needed skills to manage, nay need to bring in some "fresh blood"

4. "CYA--- micromanagement at its finest"

Former Contractor - Communications Specialist in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Contractor - Communications Specialist in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Ross Stores as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I like my hours. It was decent pay and they provided a break room with complimentary coffee, tea and hot chocolate.

Cons

This is by far the worst corporate employer I've ever worked for.

Management blames everyone below them, from the senior vp of operations down to the specialists.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees. You hired them for a reason. Don't spend months making decisions that could be made in a matter of hours.

5. "Good starting point"

Current Employee - Assortment Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Assortment Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training program. A lot of classroom work to set you up to do a lot of analytical work, systems are top of the line.

Cons

Stuck in allocation. Buying and planning are in New York so hard to move around. Entry level to analyst level is a big jump.

Advice to Management

Open up opportunities outside of allocation. (Store operations or something similar. Need to keep managers trained as well.

6. "Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team environment, fun industry, helps kids lead active lives

Cons

Industry is a little stagnant

7. "Discount great, work meh."

Former Employee - Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

discount great, 20 percent off

Cons

people are kind of shady

"Allocation Department at the Corporate Office in Dubin is a great place to start for entry-level position seekers."

Former Employee - Assortment Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Assortment Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

If you have a college degree and some part-time retail experience, then you have a decent chance at the entry level position, Allocator.

Cons

The Corporate Office has been going through logistical changes, presumably for the better. But there are some older employees that are cynical about the changes and always complain.

Advice to Management

Instead of having the managers mentor career improvement, start a mentorship program by which people are matched up with management level mentors/mentees for the sole purpose of encourage and counseling on career growth within the company.

9. "Good environment and fair work life balance"

Former Employee - Allocator in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Allocator in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong training program and good leadership

Cons

Not a very diverse career path

Advice to Management

Have more options for growth

"Overworked, underpaid, and a waste of time."

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

While in my second store, the store's Manager was a good guy and cared for his associates. Additionally it was closer to home, decent area, much easier demographic.

Cons

The first store that I worked in was in an old building in desperate need of renovation. The store's manager, I'm not really sure why he had his job? He got it, by being results driven which is a huge plus. Leadership is about service as well, and in my opinion a good manager treats associates in a way that even when they're out of the building the standards remain high because they feel respected and appreciated. Considering the average associates base pay, encouraging them to stay and work for you rather than seek another job with a very modest pay increase, comes down to how you're people are treated. This manager, yelled, cursed, spoke down to employee's off stage and on the sales floor frequently. Many Customer's complained about him, and the way he communicated with the associates. He tried this with me once or twice, because I was an ASM I felt comfortable with stopping that dead in it's tracks.

SM's work hard, but in my experience many of the tasks are delegated to the ASM. ASM is essentially an Ops manager as well. I wont use this platform to put down the company as a whole, because I believe that my experience is probably directly related to the leadership or lack there of, from the DM. Lack of involvement, and no sense of urgency from HR in resolving associate concerns/complaints.

I wouldn't suggest anyone come into this company working at the store level. I've no idea how things are on the corporate side, I've heard good things. But in the stores, the associates are overworked, underpaid, and not respected well by management.

Advice to Management

Treat your associates the way you'd want to be treated if your roles were reversed.

Showing 45 of 3,252 reviews