Ross Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Barbara Rentler

4,004 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Not always a large emphasis on work life balance, though it depends on your management team" (in 96 reviews)

• "No benefits for part-time staff" (in 188 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great team at Ross!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's great to work every day with talented, smart, driven, helpful, accountable coworkers and leaders! Culture is positive, and consistent with the brand. Company performance is strong due to a solid business strategy. Leaders are truly developmentally focused with their team members, providing actionable timely feedback, which I appreciate. Ultimately, it is a great cultural fit for me.

Cons

The hiring process can take a while, so be prepared. But the team kept me informed throughout the process, and in the end, it was definitely worth the wait.

Advice to Management

Continue the rock solid focus on executing the business strategy.

Ross Stores Response

Jul 31, 2018

Thank you for your review! It's always great to hear when our Associates are enjoying what they do and feel supported by their team. We're happy to hear that you've found the right fit for you.... More

2. "Associate"

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time

Pros

Learn as you go. Flexible schedule

Cons

Love the flexible hours but are
    too
    Short

3. "Pretty Good!"

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time

Pros

- easy-to-work environment
    - easy-to-learn / minimum experience required
    - they can teach you everything about retail so long as you demonstrate you want to learn and work hard
    - 40% off everything except jewelry once a year

Cons

- lack of hours given at times
    - incredibly busy during holidays
    - people call out all of the time

Advice to Management

- give more credit and opportunities to people who are really trying, always do a good job, and are committed to coming to work.

4. "Retail associate"

I worked at Ross Stores part-time

Pros

Great teamwork with all associates

Cons

Messy customers to clean up after

5. "Merchandise Planner"

I worked at Ross Stores full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance, excellent training & on-boarding company, good bonus structure.

Cons

Very process driven, repetitive monthly tasks, little creativity.

6. "First job as a retail associate"

I worked at Ross Stores part-time

Pros

20% discount on mainly everything in store
     pay every 2 weeks
    Works with hours
    Great people working there
    Gives you great practice for future retail jobs

Cons

Lunch only 30minutes just by fast
    When it gets busy it gets hard

Advice to Management

Keep doing a good job!!!

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company stability and growth
    Career growth
    Good executive leadership
    Great co- workers that care about each other
    Great bonus payouts
    Good medical,dental, vision benefits with other important and unique benefits(401k match, opportunity to buy an extra week of vacation, adoption support, RossCares fund for associates that need help)
    Campus has free parking, a Peets coffee, a good cafe, and a good gym that is subsidized and cheap.
    Good training and development tools

Cons

Unique culture that takes time for new employees to integrate into
    No remote work or flexible schedules for those with long commutes
    Conservative culture
    Limited engagement tools for managers to use within their teams

Advice to Management

Find ways to stay true to what made Ross successful but be open to what the next generation needs to be successful (ie remote work, more interaction between departments, more cross training outside of your functional area)

"HR Associate"

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is growth oriented and super collaborative. I really appreciate my team and the extra perks given more being a full time Associate at our corporate offices.

Cons

The culture needs a little overhaul. Systems are outdated and there’s need to be more focus on employee engagement. Plus lack of technology is a problem, but they’re working on it...very slowly.

Advice to Management

Build out an engagement team, host more team events, where everyone is invited, not just managers and above.

"An amazing company that needs to stop taking quite so much pride in moving slowly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong, Positive Culture
    Growth Mindset
    Understands change is needed to remain strong in the changing marketplace

Cons

Slow to adopt modern (or even not-so-modern) technology
    Very lengthy and deliberate hiring process

Advice to Management

While the track record is awesome, we need to get more comfortable with using tech to enable further growth.

Ross Stores Response

Oct 5, 2018

Thanks for sharing your review. Change is inevitable and we do our best to stay ahead of changes in our marketplace so that we can be ready to flex. However, not all of the changes we make can be... More

"Allocation at Ross Headquarters"

Current Employee - Assortment Analyst in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Assortment Analyst in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work at the headquarters in Dublin, CA. I enjoy the campus culture - we have a gym, a peets coffee, and a breakfast/lunch café onsite. The campus is close to restaurants, shops, and grocery stores so it’s easy to run errands at lunch if you need to. The campus feels safe and there is plenty of parking.

The company is growing fast and I think there is more job stability as a result (for those who want to stay put for a while). They seem to have an awareness that employees’ needs and wants are changing and they are working hard to accommodate the “millennial spirit”, but the change is slow.

There is more diversity here than at other corporate offices in the Bay Area that I have worked for. Other places I’ve worked were DOMINATED by white males at all levels (particularly at the management level). I know there is still opportunity, but I think it is good for everyone and the success of the company when its employees are diverse, especially bosses.

Allocation is a strong department equipped with solid training for new hires. Managers are usually flexible with work hours and let you set your schedule. There is a lot of opportunity for growth and if you want to move up quickly, you can do it. If you tell your managers and directors what your goals for growth are, they take you seriously and work hard to help you accomplish them (but you have to speak up).

Cons

The company is trying to catch up with the times, but it is a slow process. Since most of the employees live in other areas of the Bay Area and face significant travel time and traffic, they should consider being more flexible with work hours. Some want the option of working four 10hr shifts, some would like part-time options, and most people can agree work from home options would be great.

I think the biggest down side to Allocation is that the managers will work you to death if you let them. You cannot be afraid to speak up and defend yourself. You have to be prepared to push back and re-prioritize with your manager constantly. You have to take control, create boundaries, and carve out time in your day so you can breathe, because they won’t do that for you.

Advice to Management

Management is very concerned with appearances and will do anything to impress their bosses, even at the expense of their team. Remember: having happy employees also makes you look good.!

Showing 4,004 of 4,105 reviews