Ross Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Ross Stores CEO Barbara Rentler
Barbara Rentler

2,986 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • inflexible work / life balance (yes it's a typical 9-5 but doesn't really leave room for WFH or half days to attend to personal matters) (in 76 reviews)

• but if its part time hours you want you'll be ok (in 162 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Retail Leader Intern"

Pros

I absolutely enjoyed my internship experience! The internship program is very well organized and they really do take care of their interns. In the short 10 weeks, I can confidently say that the internship experience prepared me for what it means to be a retail leader and manage a multi-million dollar store. I gained a better insight into managing an entire store of staff and merchandise, theft prevention, HR, hiring and onboarding, product placement and other related topics. Overall, great experience.

Cons

The only con is that you might work with and management unprofessional or unmotivated staff members. This can at times feel like babysitting. Other than that, I would say the experience was pretty great.

Ross Stores Response

Mar 14, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

We’re proud of our brand and the people who work here. It’s always nice to be able to recognize our great Associates. Thanks for sharing!

2. "Don't work there don't shop there"

Former Employee - Engineer in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Fort Mill, SC

Pros

I can not honestly think of any reason to work for them.

Cons

Everything they do is for less and they treat most of the associates unfairly

Advice to Management

Spend more time in the operations rather than in meetings and get to know all of your people

"Beware if looking for management position - many store managers don't have a clue! Disorganization rules!!"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in City of Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in City of Industry, CA

Pros

Great employees - really willing to work hard but frustrated with micro-management by Store Manager.

Cons

Really hard work with little results for effort; always a mess. Very disorganized management.

Advice to Management

Get training for Store Managers to learn how to lead, communicate, delegate and train store supervisors and hold them accountable for unified team. When managers are promoted within, make training mandatory to ensure all managers are on the same page.
    Set up measurable standards for every manager and supervisor and FOLLOW THROUGH with training!

"overworked, underpaid employees are set up for failure"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Anaheim, CA

Pros

employees get first pick of brand name merchandise.
    45% off discount for employees every 4 months.
    affordable fashions for every budget.
    no experience necessary to work here.
    time goes by fast because it's very, very fast paced workplace.

Cons

strenous work and late hours for low compensation.
    no chance of advancement here unless you know someone or are a relative of management staff.
    alot of shoplifting going on both from customers and employees.
    unjust termination of employees, by simply being friends with a co-worker that was caught shoplifting (guilty by association).
    the sales floor is almost always messy and unruly because there's not enough staff to mantain it.
    It is extremely difficult to obtain a full-time position here even by being a hard worker.
    very little communication and support between customer service/cashier associates and sales floor associates.

Advice to Management

don't unfairly fire employees by simply making assumptions and without having concrete evidence of any wrong doing.
    loss prevention should be used for catching real criminals, not for spying on unsuspecting employees.

"Bad"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Long Beach, CA

Pros

If you like to be busy all the time ( what is my case) you would like to work there.

Cons

They don't promote a diversified work place, what result in a very united group, and if you are new and don't belong this "group" , they will treat you badly.

Advice to Management

try to hire people from different backgrounds and different races, some supervisors needs more training, they need to know that yelling it's not the right way to get what they want.

"sweat shop"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

Pros

its a job in a tough economy with decent hours flexable and give over time if you need more hours.

Cons

rude customers, i train myself management doesnt realize i am only one person, they really need to hire more people even though as a new hire i feel very out of place and most new hires probably wont last very wrong. i do the job of at least 3 or 4 people.

Advice to Management

Be respectful, hire more associates so stuff can get done, employees are not slaves keep that in mind. be more helpful

"Lowest of the Low"

Current Employee - Retail Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Associate in Miami, FL

Pros

In my experience just about the only thing that keeps me going are the great people that I'm forced to agonizingly spend my time working for such a thankless company with. The people I work with are great and have become great friends, because we need to pick each other up everyday to reassure ourselves that our lives aren't meaningless based on the torture we endure.

Cons

Just about everything is a downside, working at Ross. The lines are hideously long day in and day out, and usually only two people are ever at a register at once handling it. The people who shop at Ross disrespect the store more than any department store I've been to. I believe it's because our prices are so much lower than other stores that we appeal to the lowest common denominator of humans, which are predominantly disrespectful, messy, and uncivilized. Whereas in other stores buying 5 items of clothing can have you approaching a $100 bill, at Ross you can buy 20 items of clothing and only then nearly approach a $100 sale, so basically employees must handle 5 times the workload per customer. The children's section is a nightmare. Parents routinely abandon their children in the kids section while they shop, which leads the kids to open all the packages they can get their hands on and make a mess of the entire area, and of course the parents entitle us to find their children at the end of the day, despite the fact that we prohibit leaving children unattended. But of course if we were to reprimand one of these parents we would get a nice big angry complaint call filed to our headquarters. Oh and who do you think has to clean up the child's mess? Certainly not the parents! Other than that, people who shop at Ross must think we have magic elves locked in the warehouse because they routinely fill up entire shopping carts, proceed to make the line and buy MAYBE 2 items, and then leave us to have to place all the items in the cart back on the salesfloor ourselves. Oh, and they don't even have the common courtesy to move the cart out from the front of the register area, leaving the cashier to have to get out of his box and do it themselves, which wouldn't be so bad if it didnt happen about 140 times a day, when you're trying to actually get the line moving. Ross only gives employees 30 minutes for a lunch break. It takes me 15 minutes to get to the nearest fast food restaurant, leaving me to have to eat my lunch IN THE STORE WHEN I CLOCK BACK IN. Not to mention you're only allowed a lunch break if you work a minimum of 5 hours. But here's the worst part of working at Ross. You'd think they'd have specific people allocated to do all the merchandise stocking, but no, the cashiers themselves are the ones who have that responsibility. So, at the end of a long hard day working with unruly customers, the cashiers themselves are responsible for putting all the merchandise in it's place. And if your schedule says you leave at 9:30, it really means you leave when you're done making the store meticulous, because the management staff LOCKS THE DOORS AT 9:00. It's basically voluntary slavery. Where is the reward for your hard work? Don't ask me, I haven't found it. I've worked for 1 year and am still making minimum wage. I've never even been entertained the possibility of a 6 month review. And it's not because of the economy either; at least one new Ross has opened within 20 miles of my area since the time I've worked there. The management staff will take great pleasure in belittling you for every tiny mistake you make, but when they see you working hard they'll just avoid you. "Leave them to their devices" I assume they think. Not even management is immune to this treatment, as Ross commissions quality inspectors to come once a month and scrutinize every tiny infraction, every aisle that is stocked incorrectly or not "sized perfectly up to standard". Yeah buddy, instead of telling us how to do it why don't you hire some more people so that we'll have the time and manpower to get it done. Better yet, why don't you help us yourself? Oh that's right, to "motivate" us. Well motivate this: ROSS IS BY FAR THE WORST RETAIL CHAIN IN AMERICA

Advice to Management

This is an actual situation that recently occurred at my store. A negative report was filed about a manager. Want to know why he was disciplined? He was disciplined FOR HELPING ASSOCIATES MOVE THE LINE ALONG. Yes, he was caught on cameras doing actual work, helping to man the registers, and he was PUNISHED FOR THIS. My message to the upper echelon: I hope it kills you guys from the inside to know that every hard earned penny I've slaved to provide to the fat cats up at the top won't be able to be carried or spent after death.

"ross is not a place for me"

Current Employee - Cashier in Pasadena, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Pasadena, TX

Pros

if your in high school

Cons

pay suck and no benefits

Advice to Management

dont interview a person who has management experience and offer them a cashier position. that is a slap in the face

"You do not want to work for this company, unless you are desperate for a job !"

Former Employee - Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

You get appreciated by most customers. It is a job I guess.

Cons

Poor management. You have the impression that nobody else works apart from yourself ?? You might be right. The office seems like a getaway for some people. Do not call the stores to inquire for a certain item. Employees get told to lie ( "I am so sorry but we do not have that item in the store!") and put the caller on hold for no reason, other than being careless. Have I mentioned poor management ?

Advice to Management

Start caring for the concerns of employees. Does anybody in the upper management knows what really is going on in the stores ? Why would they ? It is so much easier to believe what the district manager and loss prevention have to say. The anonymous hot line is a joke. You get harassed at work and think you get help? Keep dreaming !!
    Why should employees care if the management does not ? Start to clean up the management positions instead of threatening and let go of the little people.

"Ross Stores, a nightmare you can't simply wake up from"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention in San Jose, CA

Pros

Some of the co-workers are all that make the job even slightly enjoyable, there honestly isn't to many Pros I can think of. The discount is fair, 20% off.

Cons

Customers are rude. Store is almost always running with a skeleton crew, Loss Prevention isn't allowed to do anything to actually stop any form of loss. Pay is terrible, hours are terrible, only 4 total full time employees in the store

Advice to Management

Only advice I can give to any management that are currently working for Ross Stores is to quit! Quit Ross and find a actual real company that listens to you're suggestions

Showing 2,986 of 3,055 reviews