Ross Stores "employee discount" Reviews | Glassdoor

Ross Stores Employee Reviews about "employee discount"

Updated Nov 10, 2019

3.2
Ross Stores CEO Barbara Rentler
Barbara Rentler
1,134 Ratings
Pros
  • "Employee discount of 20% all time and 40% occasionally(in 281 reviews)

• "20% discount applies everyday and as many times as you want(in 236 reviews)

Cons
  • "Part time night shift not to bad(in 209 reviews)

• "Minimum wage , no opportunities to grow(in 177 reviews)

Reviews about "employee discount"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"Best decision I've made"

Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coming from a retail background, having a corporate job means having more balance between life & work. Everyone is very professional and they all want you to succeed in your role. Training doesn't stop in just a couple of weeks, they continue to train you and you continue to learn even after your 90 days. Gym access on campus is also a wonderful addition, you literally will not have an excuse to skip the gym... after work. The Ross Cafe is also very convenient & Ross employees get 15% off. Employee discounts during double discount days is an amazing thing. Lastly, the room for growth and career progression is absolutely up to you and how far you want to go. If you explain that to your manager, she will help you get there.

Cons

Nothing so far! I pretty much enjoy working here, I'm constantly being challenged and work is never stagnant, you're always being pushed to your fullest potential and if you don't like that, then this place isn't for you.

Ross Stores2019-04-18
  2. "Engineering Internship"

Current Intern - Productivity Engineer

I have been working at Ross Stores for less than a year

Pros

- Engineering team is very friendly and helpful, we often went to lunch together and I enjoyed many laughs we shared while on throughout the internship - Self driven type internship, the more you push the further you'll go! - Competitive internship pay - Employee discount of 20% all time and 40% occasionally - Once you become comfortable in your position, engineering management treats just as any engineer... giving you projects to lead out and take on - Business casual dress code - Your engineering knowledge and experience will expand when learning how Ross Stores maintains productivity throughout its district centers.

Cons

- During the internship, there may be times where you are waiting for work (could be seen as pro)

Ross Stores2019-07-15

"Can never work hard enough"

I worked at Ross Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee discounts and bonding with coworkers Talk to a variety of people, interesting work

Cons

Customer culture is very disrespectful to the store, makes work feel unworthwhile Management barely trains employees, very unorganized, in my first week was left with a line of 20+ yelling people while everyone was sent on break simultaneously Kept at work beyond shift time, even after 1am; hard to balance school/work

Advice to Management

Rebrand Ross as a place to be respected, not trashed Empower employees more and make them feel important

Ross Stores2019-10-28

"Run job will cause major health issues"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee discount 20% 3 times a year 40% off. Some co worker are nice

Cons

Store management are bullies /lack compassion & if you are not a favorite you get treated like crap. No raises, no hours and tons of work while others goof off. Company hotline is a joke since the complaints are forward to the store managers so if one of them or favorites are reported everyone knows who & what was said. Stores open till midnight which makes for a unsafe work environment. Job will take... a mental toll

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites, have some compassion. CEO & District close stores by 10 pm so employees can feel safe . Plus stop pushing the employees to perform at a pace that is not reachable .

Ross Stores2019-11-10

"horrible company!"

Former Contractor - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Ross Stores

Pros

employee discount, quick hiring process

Cons

management does not care about employees

Advice to Management

do better

Ross Stores2019-11-08
  6. "Crazy Busy, Messy Store!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Ross Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee discount, Make friends, Cool supervisors

Cons

Little pay, Dress code, Customers treat the store poorly

Advice to Management

Hire more employees Give longer breaks

Ross Stores2019-10-12
  7. "Great place for part-time"

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Ross Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

employee discount and great co-workers

Cons

disorganized and poor management

Ross Stores2019-10-08
  8. "Great place for a part-time job"

Former Employee - Front-End Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ross Stores part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The employee discount and the relationships you create with both coworkers and customers.

Cons

The amount of work they expect both lower level associates and management to get done on a daily basis is many times unrealistic. At times many of my coworkers would become stressed because they had so much to get done before the end of their shift. Also, being able to move up within the company and stay at the same location was practically impossible. The level of leadership I reached is the highest I could reach... without having to move to a different location.

Advice to Management

Find a better way to have employees get projects done without having to help cover breaks or help cashier.

Ross Stores2019-09-11

"Don’t believe in the hype"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Ross Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee discount that’s it, but plan to work hard and highly pressured in doing the ROSS way.

Cons

No respect from well anyone from corporate to your manager. Very dry colicky environment that simply doesn’t care, this from theft from everyday walk ins creating knowledge in communities to shop ROSS. Breaks maybe but don’t count on it, because of lack of staffing. Most times I would 1 cashier and myself for the entire store, that means I’m left to do sales, merchandise, stock, regulate operations, cash office,... customer service in inquiries, asset protection along w shrink knowledge, coaching staff, shift duties, safety measures, run another cash register, fitting room duties along w letting customers use restrooms, and finally trying to a safe atmosphere. Yes your abused, nobody listens or cares and if your the squeaky wheel, your gone they have their ways of hiding behind HR. I’ve been in retail and management for 20 yrs and I was an avid ROSS shopper loved the place, I’ve seen a company micro manage and simply not care about people as in ROSS DRESS FOR LESS!!!! I wouldn’t allow my kids to work for them, I’d rather cut off a limb! Sad but true

Advice to Management

Man up, treat people w respect. Your handbook and I quote “ not to ask customer if they found everything ok in store” kinda rude ya because your so greeting wanting the next persons cash and asking about a customers experience or needs slows down your register. This country was born on handshakes, old school business of caring and giving great service to customers and shame on you for the greed and un attentive to... your associates who have to work 3-4 peoples jobs trying to meet your standards while you under staff all stores and get rid of all the asset protection specialist because ya wanted that buck. Horrible atmosphere and I hope Karma comes soon. God bless ya ROSS!

Ross Stores2019-10-08
  10. "Great palce to work"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They're very flexible and this is a good job if you're in school and its a decent pay for the work you do. you also get an employee discount, I love to shop there.

Cons

management is constantly changing some unethical people

Ross Stores2019-09-03