KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Ross Stores

Engaged Employer

Ross Stores

Add a Review

Ross Stores Employee Reviews about "low pay"

Updated Dec 1, 2021

Found 258 of over 7,544 reviews

3.3
Ross Stores CEO Barbara Rentler
Barbara Rentler
1,941 Ratings
Pros
  • "Good employee discount and community(in 386 reviews)

• "Flexible hours and great people to work with(in 281 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Low pay note much room for growth(in 259 reviews)

• "Pay is just staying close to minimum wage as much as possible(in 194 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Ross Stores and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "low pay"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Location Planner I

Sep 13, 2021 - Location Planner I in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great on boarding process and training

Cons

low pay first year as planner

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Overworked, Harrassed by customers, Accused by manager for not getting a code 50 when did in fact did. Mortified.

Dec 1, 2021 - Cashier/Front End Supervisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule (depending on the manager who approves) 20% discount

Cons

Overworked and constantly going back and forth from the floor to register. Arms hurt non-stop removing the hangers and ringing people up with giant carts of stuff. So understaffed major lines and several times was left with a ridiculous long line out of the QUE with only myself at the front. Store Management don't even care and did not even acknowledge. Also ACCUSSED by transferred manager for not getting a code 50 when in fact did and went behind my back to my coworkers and then accussed me several times without even checking cameras first or even discussing it with the store manager. Harassed by customers so many times verbally and with body language. Not worth it yet did not even know better. Harrassed due to return policy too. Not enough training on rude customers and customers who try to return stolen items that they just took off the shelf who the SPS and manager were watching too! Yet the associate is suppose to deal with it. Also management keeping workers past their time off when closing. Low pay considering how long have been with the company. No benefits.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Ross Stores Response

We value your feedback and appreciate you taking time to reach out to us. With your permission we would like to contact you directly to personally address your comments. Please email us at customer.service@ros.com with the best number to reach you at and we would be happy to give you a call back. Alternatively, you are welcome to call our confidential associate Alertline to discuss your comments. Thank you.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Low pay, fast pace

Nov 21, 2021 - Area Supervisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fast Pace- you likely wont be bored Management can be helpful and friendly ( varies a lot store to store) Easy to make lateral and horizontal movement if you express interest

Cons

Fast paced- always busy understaffed VERY low pay, even as you move up Management can sometimes be unknowlingly cruel/ gossipy

1 person found this review helpful

Ross Stores Response

Thank you for your comment, we’re sorry to hear you felt unsatisfied with your compensation. We work hard to make sure our pay and benefits are competitive in all markets. We take all feedback seriously and have shared your comments with our compensation team for further evaluation.

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Store Manager

Aug 3, 2021 - Store Manager in Denton, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Discount Not physically demanding Easy overall role Well written SOPs During COVID policies were present to support associate needs. Genuine care in keep teams safe. Great option for college students and extra money.

Cons

Low pay rate for associates, key holders and assistant managers made it difficult to find good help. High attrition rate. Stores evaluated on points system; essentially a checklist where numerous items are tied together. If you had a “miss” you were penalized across multiple categories. Constant loss prevention evaluations. Unfortunately the focus of those was more about looking for internal issues verse dealing with high theft rate from customers. It was also skewed by location. The more positive relationship you had with LP rep or DM the higher you scores or forgiveness for “misses”. Slanted for our district. New managers were often thrown in to figure it out with little to no help. I was in a district that changed DMs 3 times within a year. High managerial attrition as well.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Destroy their employees

Oct 15, 2021 - Cashier/Stocker in Layton, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Easy job to get so you can add some experience to your resume. I.e. retail, stocking, cash handling via cashier.

Cons

The saddest part of this company is not just their low-pay, its that the Ross world creates an environment that moving from one station to another is promoting. Any job, anywhere, will work a person much less for way more. 7.25ish? With one break that you have to cut into for the "store walk" to make sure items aren't stolen, you'll end up with a grand 9 minutes to decompress. Even store managers make basically nothing don't know the world outside offers so much more.

1 person found this review helpful