Roux Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great location"

Current Employee - Staff Geologist in Swedesboro, NJ
    Current Employee - Staff Geologist in Swedesboro, NJ

I have been working at Roux Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Roux is an excellent company with room for advancement. They want to push people to their full potential and promote from within. This can make for a challenging job, but if you work hard that will be recognized and rewarded.

Cons

The NJ office has a lot of young employees at staff level, and some people are very cliquey.

Advice to Management

I think management is doing a great job.

2. "Principal"

Pros

Treats employees fairly and provides great opportunities to advance career.

Cons

Roux expects nothing less than your best effort and as a result you are awarded.

3. "Treats employees well but mostly petro remediation and brownfield work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Islandia, NY

I have been working at Roux Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Treat their employees well with a decent salary and generous benefits.

Cons

It's in Long Island and most of the revenue comes from petroleum and Brownfields work, while other, more established firms do more exciting, important work IMHO. The Brownfields work exacerbates the erection of disgusting luxury condos. I guess a firm has to start somewhere though.

4. "A good company but hard to maintain work/life balance"

Pros

Good company, good people, bonuses and incentives, hires straight out of college, you will gain a large amount of experience very quickly

Cons

Long hours, long commute, everyone is a workaholic, hours do not match up with pay despite the utilization incentive program, field work is in the city, but office is 40something miles away which makes no sense, so you'll probably end up with a horrible commute that will drain your body and soul.

Advice to Management

Do overtime instead of utilization % so people don't feel like they are putting in more time than they get compensated for.

5. "Great Place for a Career"

Current Employee - Hydrogeologist in Islandia, NY
    Current Employee - Hydrogeologist in Islandia, NY

Pros

At Roux for 20+ years I've learned: If you establish a track record of hard work and solid performance, the company will take you into the Roux family and go the extra mile on your behalf. That includes both in terms of giving you more opportunity and responsibility, more financial rewards, and even taking measures to accommodate and/or help employees facing difficult or unfortunate personal situations. The people truly care about each other and the work they are doing.

Cons

If you don't perform well right away, you can get off on the wrong foot. So, it is important to make sure you take ownership of everything that comes your way and ask questions to make sure you fully understand what is expected of you in each assignment.

6. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Islandia, NY

Pros

Pretty much the holy grail of jobs. The company is independently owned which eliminates the strange game of corporate politics, where seniority is valued over hard work. Here it's the opposite. I have not been here very long but I know for a fact that effort is rewarded in the form of bonuses and verbal appreciation. Everyone is extremely friendly and cares about their work. The field workers/scientists don't hesitate to share their knowledge with the corporate workers. The owner is the most down to earth man I've ever met and started the company completely from scratch. And, if you're not sold yet, there's free food 3x a week/during every meeting, and within my first month here they gave out free lounge tickets to a Mets game.

Cons

Really don't have anything to put here. I know that field workers often endure long commutes to get to job sites, so that may be cumbersome, but I'm pretty sure the company pays for your gas too.

7. "Great Company, Good People"

I worked at Roux Associates full-time

Pros

Roux Associates is a stable and successful firm. They care for their employees and reward hard work. It is a great company for people that are pursuing careers as environmental engineers, geologists, and scientists because Roux allows you to grow and work your way up the ladder. You get hands on experience in the field from the start and have very talented and intelligent people mentoring you along the way through the projects you are scheduled on. The people that work at Roux are friendly and are good co-workers to have.

Cons

Long hours and busy schedules.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"A Pleasant Place to Work and Learn"

Pros

I have worked in the Islandia office for 12 years. The opportunities to work and learn in a fairly fast-paced, friendly and cooperative environment has been extremely rewarding. You will advance through hard work, persistence and dedication. if you want to be rewarded for your hard work, this is the place for you.

Cons

A tight deadline can mess up your day, and possibly some of your after-hour plans, but you will usually feel satisfied when you submit a quality work product to your boss or client.

"I can honestly say that I love my job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Roux Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been at Roux for 25 years, and have stayed because it is a very employee-oriented company. I have never felt the need to test the job market. They believe in giving as much as possible back to employees to share in the profits and reward good work. Lot's of perks. Bonuses, incentive programs, happy hours, company picnics, holiday parties, provide lunches and breakfast several days a week, charity events. They actively seek to hire top people and do expect a lot from the employees, but reward them with opportunities for growth and promotions. Privately held, which is a huge plus.

Cons

Work is challenging and demanding, so if you like to cruise through the day, this is probably not the place for you. Expect to spend most of your time in the field and traveling if you come in at the entry level. You will get a lot of experience very quickly.

10. "Administration"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yaphank, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yaphank, NY

I worked at Roux Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good benefits, good learning opportunities

Cons

Not all management is professional

Advice to Management

Demonstrate fairness to all employees equally