Rovi Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rovi President & CEO Tom Carson
Tom Carson

Pros
Cons
  • A little low on the work life balance side (in 15 reviews)

• Upper management fed everyone the line of BS that they cared about culture and were taking actions to correct the negative things (in 21 reviews)

1. "Still good but lost its direction slowly"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in San Jose, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, work environment, nice colleagues

Cons

Living on patents, lost in targets

"Worst managers on Earth"

Former Employee - Editor in Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Editor in Radnor, PA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The environment of this company is so toxic that is impossible to see any positive thing.

Cons

No opportunity at all for growth. Worst managers a company could have. Manager is extremely unprepared for her role, has no idea what she's doing because she spends most of her time engaging on high school gossips instead of paying attention to her work. Totally divided the team with her lack of leadership and visibly provided benefits for the employees that were her personall friends. Extremely passive aggressive person with no communication skills.

Advice to Management

Needs to learn to separate personal and professional life. Stop lying to your employees saying you "see a bright future for them at the company" even when you know they will be laid off two months later.

"All talk. No action."

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many. Worked with some really good people who sacrifice personal goals just to be employed somewhere and collect a paycheck.

Cons

Plenty. Upper management fed everyone the line of BS that they cared about culture and were taking actions to correct the negative things. The only thing they did was take the survey again to see if people changed their minds after loads of people left. They also said they'd refocus the main business of Rovi and not be such patent infringement whores and refocus on producing some actual products. Ha. Constantly performing CPR on EPGs that are from the stone age.
    They do not invest in their employees. They allowed plenty of quality employees to walk away rather than make any effort to retain them and get rid of the bad seeds. Including really bad seeds in management.
    A top heavy organization. Would rather hire a few more VPs at multi-six figure salaries than a handful of lesser paid workers who actually get the work done.

Advice to Management

Leave. Jump ship. Take your golden parachute and let the culture that I know TiVo to be consume the former Rovi. At least then there would be a chance for employees to survive long term rather than just use the new company as a stepping stone.

"Rovi killed TiVo Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cash rich, because they focus on lawsuits above all else

Cons

Rovi claimed they wanted to adopt TiVo culture. It has been the opposite. They are a secretive group and do not value their employees. Lot's of inflated titles for unqualified people.

Advice to Management

Truly become TiVo... Rovi is an old company with poor cultural values. Hire better people. Make your culture truly flat. Your reputation of being patent bullies is reflective in the entire culture of the company.

"Appreciate the good employee's you have and quit outsourcing them!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Wonderful co-workers that are left there.

Cons

Outsourcing your good employee's is not the way to go. Appreciate your employee's that you have.

Advice to Management

I worked there over 10 years! Wake up and see the good people you have left!

"Decent software engineering work but not a keeper for me"

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Burbank, CA

I worked at Rovi (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mostly good people to work with. Good work/life balance. Good base compensation and stock grants, ESPP plan, etc. Things may be looking up with the TiVo acquisition.

Cons

My position worked on very old set-top box client development. Very far from state of the art.
    Cable companies took releases at glacial pace.
    Company depends on proceeds from licensing patent portfolio too much and does not have enough forward looking product research.
    Knee jerk application of Agile/Scrum to whole company.
    Acquisitions usually result in jettisoning of business units after a while.

8. "It was fine."

Former Employee - Scheduling Reporter in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Scheduling Reporter in Wayne, PA

I worked at Rovi (Less than a year)

Pros

- Everyone is super nice and willing to help you.
    - Fun corporate events for Holidays and going away parties.
    - All of middle management was really helpful with new employees and really helped those understand their mistakes.

Cons

- The contract was filled and extension was offer too late, by that time that I had already found future employment.

"Worst place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Insurance is expensive but worth it. Good people work there but unless you are a personal friend of someone important you will never leave your position.

Cons

9 months pregnant and my manager tells me that I CAN'T go to the bathroom to pee. My doctor was astonished when I asked her for a doctor't note that told my manager I had to go to the bathroom.............

10. "Benefit"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Rovi (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefit package, good office facility.

Cons

There was no growth opportunity.

Advice to Management

Where is new growth direction?

"marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Jose, CA

I worked at Rovi (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. You get to meet new people constantly given the high turn over rate. The expense policies are reasonable

Cons

A patent licensing company that pretends to be something else to the outside world (and to the poor saps in product development). The poor leadership hasn’t been able to develop a decent product in the last five years or more. When the company attempts to purchase product innovation it never works out. Within a few months of the acquisition, the talent leaves the building because of the red tape and/or constantly changing strategy. The exec staff doesn’t care about the employee base in any way shape or form. There’s an “upstairs/downstairs” mentality at Rovi, and if you are part of the regular rank and file, you are nothing more than a number to the exec and a highly disposable asset.

Advice to Management

Be human. Be real. Be very thankful of where you are considering the value you bring to the business. Write a book about how to sleep at night when you spend your days being so disingenuous to employees and so mediocre at your job.