Rovi Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rovi President & CEO Tom Carson
Tom Carson

Cons

"Who is next to be laid off?"

I have been working at Rovi full-time

Pros

Some very talented people in a small cloistered business

Cons

Exec management is constantly playing to the public company "quarter by quarter" business philosophy. There is a severe lack of continuity by the C level team, which creates churn in the business models. This does not allow new products or people to move forward.

Advice to Management

Stop making changes in management teams on an annual basis5 heads of sales in 5 years does not allow your teams to get in a flow. Learn to take risks and investment spend in new products. Waiting on a customer to invest in a product for you before you build it stifles innnovation.

"Rovi killed TiVo Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cash rich, because they focus on lawsuits above all else

Cons

Rovi claimed they wanted to adopt TiVo culture. It has been the opposite. They are a secretive group and do not value their employees. Lot's of inflated titles for unqualified people.

Advice to Management

Truly become TiVo... Rovi is an old company with poor cultural values. Hire better people. Make your culture truly flat. Your reputation of being patent bullies is reflective in the entire culture of the company.

"Appreciate the good employee's you have and quit outsourcing them!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Wonderful co-workers that are left there.

Cons

Outsourcing your good employee's is not the way to go. Appreciate your employee's that you have.

Advice to Management

I worked there over 10 years! Wake up and see the good people you have left!

"Worst place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Insurance is expensive but worth it. Good people work there but unless you are a personal friend of someone important you will never leave your position.

Cons

9 months pregnant and my manager tells me that I CAN'T go to the bathroom to pee. My doctor was astonished when I asked her for a doctor't note that told my manager I had to go to the bathroom.............

"Avoid, enough said."

I worked at Rovi (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary, decent benefits but those are mostly inherited through Rovi's numerous acquisitions of other companies. There are a lot of good people working in some Rovi offices.

Cons

Rovi is a patent troll in disguise, they buy companies for IP and they neglect or marginalize any product those smaller companies might have, they drive away or push out good people.
    In addition, Rovi is outsourcing a lot of its development efforts, and that process is likely to continue.
    Management does not communicate things well and is very secretive and elitist. Although, Rovi HQ is located in Silicon Valley is not really a high tech company. if anybody is looking for new technologies to work on, Rovi is not a place to fulfill your potentials. Soon, Rovi will acquire Tivo and company will change its name. The reason for a name change is once again another attempt to hide its patent troll character and get rid of Rovi's bad name recognition.

Advice to Management

Rebuild company culture from scratch, advance people from within organization.

"Worst place with the worst people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radnor, PA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to working at this company.

Cons

Absolutely no opportunity for career advance, extremely unprofessional and ``high school`` type managers.The stress level is so high that you can feel it in the air. There's a lack of integrity for sure which affects those who are trying to do the right thing.
    Good Luck to anyone thinking about working here. I'm sure you will be posting your negative review shortly.

Advice to Management

There is no point in offering any advice as nothing will change.

"Not the best place for professional growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Radnor, PA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits; Breakfast on Fridays; Events for employees; Flexible schedule and time off

Cons

Management could not be worse, especially lower management. In fact, I had coworkers who were harassed and threatened by their managers, but HR did not seem to take employees' complaints seriously enough.
    When it comes to culture, Rovi has a major problem with consistency and transparency of policies, so your experience is heavily determined by your manager.
    There is no opportunity for professional growth due to lack of investment on internal talent, and employees at lower levels are overworked and treated as disposable.

"Culture Eats Strategy for Breakfast"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Distracted management team allows success through politics if hard work and focus are distasteful to you.

Cons

Endless acquisitions continuously change the culture of the company, so you will never really understand the behavior required to be successful unless you enjoy succeeding by undermining others.

Advice to Management

Sell the company. Without a competent development organization, the IP portfolio will dry up and you will continue to circle the drain.

"Don't be fooled: Not really a Silicon Valley Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company works in an interesting industry and space, has large customers, and has huge potential.

Cons

While one of their locations in San Carlos, the CEO and most influential executives are based in Wayne, Pennsylvania, and their leadership style reflects it. They aren't innovation focused (other than to file patents for technology that they have no intention of bringing to market). Management style is rigid, secretive, and risk focused.

Advice to Management

Try open communicaiton and let go of old management methods.
    Stop relying on your IP golden handcuffs and start using patents to develop products, not sell licenses.

"Techincal Editor"

Current Employee - Data Processing in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Data Processing in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Rovi (More than 5 years)

Pros

We get a lot of independence; we don't typically receive or need much direction from our managers. It's very easy to take time off. The ESPP is good at times. Our local managers are awesome. The compensation is on the very low side for our job titles. Luckily my 1% raise won't raise my salary too much, so I'm still eligible for food stamps.

Cons

1% raises every year regardless of how well the company does. Employee appraisals are meaningless, and have no effect on raises or promotions, and the management is told what scores to give their employees, regardless of what they may or may not deserve. We work in a technology company using obsolete software and we're not willing to spend what it takes to bring us up to date. I can guarantee that Tom Carson and the hundreds of VPs didn't get 1% raises. Also, the open office layout is very loud, and not helpful for the work that we do. It's a constant distraction and nobody has any privacy because we're always being watched. Behavioral problems are ignored, managers look the other way when their employees have loud and abusive temper tantrums. It's far from a professional atmosphere sometimes, and when you combine this with the open office layout, It's very counterproductive if you have to do anything that requires any kind of concentration for an extended amount of time.

Advice to Management

Fix the salary problem with your employees who aren't VPs. I believe that my salary is kept insultingly low so that all of the VPs can be rich people at my expense; This is actually our goal as a company.