Rovi Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rovi President & CEO Tom Carson
Tom Carson

Pros
Cons
  • A little low on the work life balance side (in 15 reviews)

• Upper management fed everyone the line of BS that they cared about culture and were taking actions to correct the negative things (in 21 reviews)

"Transforming company -- great time to be here!"

I have been working at Rovi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New management team is genuinely trying to transform this company from a traditional licensing sales culture to a true product company. Leaders are really good people trying to do the right things. I am proud to work with so many people who want to make a change and are dedicating themselves to it. There is a lot of potential here. There are a lot of really talented and good employees here.

Cons

It is not an easy thing to change a traditional mature patent-based company to a fast-moving thriving innovative product company. Anytime a company tries to do this, you will have a lot of disruption to the employees, many of whom may be used to the "old ways." I suspect that is what you may be seeing in the negative reviews. If you don't like change, then this is not the place for you. Also, because of the rampant change, the workloads of most people is increasing rapidly.

Advice to Management

Really listen to the employees and engage in discussions. Get away from the powerpoints. Keep pushing the changes and stay transparent.

"Relaxed, Innovative, and generous to employees"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No micromanagement, great benefits, very good work/life balance

Cons

Engineering processes are not evolved, Technical experience among engineers is a little weak and inconsistent

Advice to Management

I think most of the negative reviews on here are from when Rovi was acquiring & integrating other companies. I heard it was a horrible time...but everything seems great now.
    Most upper management seems intelligent, balanced, friendly and reasonable. No real advice

"I really love working at Rovi!"

Current Employee - Channel Lineup Reporter in Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - Channel Lineup Reporter in Radnor, PA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office in Radnor, PA, has a good environment and really nice people!

Cons

I have no complains so far!

"Fun people and interesting work"

I have been working at Rovi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice offices and facilities
    Little perks that make a difference (coffees, teas, breakfasts, monthly celebrations)
    Good benefits/salaries
    Expanding business, on the leading edge
    Global work environment and opportunity to travel
    Willing to make changes to benefit team

Cons

Could improve on focusing in one direction (too many new tools, initiatives)
    Could improve on leadership communications

Advice to Management

Be a role model by effecting change not just championing the idea but living it. Positive attitudes and smiles are contagious. Communicate more to personnel below and give recognition to show how they contribute to the team-- everyone likes to feel appreciated.

"Great place to work, and trying hard to get better"

I have been working at Rovi full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very flexible work schedule. Fun to work at core of digital entertainment. Executive team engaged and reacting to employee feedback on culture. Diverse worldwide workforce. Lots of opportunities, if you show initiative!

Cons

Too many times repeat the same mistakes. Hesitant to move on from projects that are no longer relevant but had large investments. Still too many employees that complain about environment but don't act themselves to change.

Advice to Management

Increase focus on college recruiting. Could use their youthful enthusiasm and perspective in all areas of our business.

"Improving Company, Great Benefits/Compensation, decent culture"

Current Employee - Accountant in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company seems to be trying hard to steady the ship over the past year. It seems like the company is heading in the right direction. The company has great benefits (i.e., health, compensation package) and tries hard to put money into improving employee morale. I feel like I am growing and developing but that might be just because of the manager I am working for. Also, the flexibility at the company is fantastic. You need to get the work done, but there is also a good understanding within the whole team regarding flexibility.

Cons

The biggest con is probably politics. It seems like it is improving, though.

"I was hired with excitement, trained with skill, and continually feel both challenged and supported. Great company."

Current Employee - Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coming out of my interview -- which is generally a terrifying experience -- I couldn't believe how empowered and inspired I felt by the company's driving mission and my ever-growing place within it. This company is doing such exciting, relevant work and I have never felt more valued by my department or my senior leadership team than I have here. It was an extremely warm welcome, and the work so far has been fast-paced, challenging, stimulating, and even fun. That, combined with a supportive, stellar team, has really made this next step in my career a formidable one. I am very glad to be here, and grateful that my managers communicate the same about my place within Rovi.

Cons

Though it is a global company, each department seems to be segmented to a specific location. I wish there was a bit more flexibility in regards to locale -- in case I want to stay with this company but would have to move for some reason -- but I have no doubt that, if circumstances *did* present themselves as such, Rovi would definitely be flexible enough to work something out. The main thing I've observed so far is that Rovi, above all, is a conversation. Open, encouraged communication between employees, managers, and even senior managers, is the obvious crux to their continued success.

Advice to Management

Be as visible as possible to every level of your team. From a new hire's perspective, you have done an impeccable job of "bridging the gap" between upper management and all other Rovi-ans. As always, it all boils down to respect. I have personally felt immensely respected, and certainly encourage each of you to keep it up and to continue reaching out. A little small talk about someone's new puppy or a surprise coffee day can boost morale more than you know, and valued workers are the best workers.

"Future Looks Bright"

I have been working at Rovi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is organized. Seems to have narrowed its focus and this has resulted in a great atmosphere. Excellent work life balance initiatives makes me feel my hard work is being acknowledged. The group I work for is in multiple locations but the team does well at meeting weekly to insure targets are met and goals achieved.

Cons

Would love to see more flexible working opportunities - Work from home. Hoping new office layouts will provide more places to work besides my desk

Advice to Management

Keep the focus

"Analytics - Great Company, Great Team"

Current Employee - Analytics - Sales in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Analytics - Sales in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The analytics team at Rovi is a great team. I am on the sales team and really enjoy it. Even though I am remote, I am included in demo's product dev, and launch parties. I visit about every 2 months and am greeted with open arms and welcomes.

Cons

My biggest challenge is that I am remote, but wish I could be on site. They have a great time in cambridge and are changing the way people think about Rovi.

Advice to Management

Keep on communicating. It is getting better and it continues.

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Engineering Director in Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Engineering Director in Radnor, PA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting and challenging work. Employee's are respected by management, and career growth is taken seriously. There is an active entertainment committee that organizes several social events thoughout the year.

Cons

Usual large company issues. Very process oriented, little scope for innovation.

Advice to Management

Lots of focus on hitting quarterly targets, need to add focus for more long term goals.