Rovi Reviews | Glassdoor

Rovi Reviews

Updated May 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • A little low on the work life balance side (in 15 reviews)

• Upper management fed everyone the line of BS that they cared about culture and were taking actions to correct the negative things (in 21 reviews)

1. "Schedule Analyst"

Former Employee - Schedule Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Schedule Analyst in Columbus, OH

I worked at Rovi (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work environment and challenging

Cons

Nothing that i could think of

"Devops Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Devops Engineering Manager in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Devops Engineering Manager in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Initially when i joined it seemed very promising environment but the moment CIO and VP left; it all became unstable and nightmare to work at Rovi.

Cons

No stable Leadership
    Vision is very unclear
    No team collaboration
    Very Isolated environment

Advice to Management

They really need to get some Vision clear about Rovi and communicate with employees and also should open feedback channel to hear from employees.

"Don't be fooled: Not really a Silicon Valley Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company works in an interesting industry and space, has large customers, and has huge potential.

Cons

While one of their locations in San Carlos, the CEO and most influential executives are based in Wayne, Pennsylvania, and their leadership style reflects it. They aren't innovation focused (other than to file patents for technology that they have no intention of bringing to market). Management style is rigid, secretive, and risk focused.

Advice to Management

Try open communicaiton and let go of old management methods.
    Stop relying on your IP golden handcuffs and start using patents to develop products, not sell licenses.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

On-site gym, subsidized cafeteria, flexible work hours, smart engineers, dominated market, stock has a lot of room to grow.

Cons

Management cannot execute, mixed directions make you second-think about your project, large lay-off at Thanksgiving and Christmas time.

Advice to Management

Smart people senses what's not right, might as well be straight forward.

5. "Sr. Directot, Professional Product Company"

Former Employee - Senior Director, Professional Products Group in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director, Professional Products Group in Novato, CA

Pros

Positive and innovative atmosphere, employees are treated like family, great overall benefits. Opportunities are accessible for the motivated.

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of any cons. It was by far the best place I've worked where I was appreciated for my skills and encouraged to grow.

"Techincal Editor"

Current Employee - Data Processing in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Data Processing in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Rovi (More than 5 years)

Pros

We get a lot of independence; we don't typically receive or need much direction from our managers. It's very easy to take time off. The ESPP is good at times. Our local managers are awesome. The compensation is on the very low side for our job titles. Luckily my 1% raise won't raise my salary too much, so I'm still eligible for food stamps.

Cons

1% raises every year regardless of how well the company does. Employee appraisals are meaningless, and have no effect on raises or promotions, and the management is told what scores to give their employees, regardless of what they may or may not deserve. We work in a technology company using obsolete software and we're not willing to spend what it takes to bring us up to date. I can guarantee that Tom Carson and the hundreds of VPs didn't get 1% raises. Also, the open office layout is very loud, and not helpful for the work that we do. It's a constant distraction and nobody has any privacy because we're always being watched. Behavioral problems are ignored, managers look the other way when their employees have loud and abusive temper tantrums. It's far from a professional atmosphere sometimes, and when you combine this with the open office layout, It's very counterproductive if you have to do anything that requires any kind of concentration for an extended amount of time.

Advice to Management

Fix the salary problem with your employees who aren't VPs. I believe that my salary is kept insultingly low so that all of the VPs can be rich people at my expense; This is actually our goal as a company.

"Tactical non Strategic"

Former Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mid level workers are very dedicated.

Cons

CEO trying to save job by focusing on quarter to quarter....not big picture. What High-tech firm has their HQ out of Wayne PA......the answer is zero! Time to bring in real senior management across the board and get the company focused on high-tech and not patent trolling.

Advice to Management

Sell or move on......................

8. "QA Manager"

Current Employee - QA Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - QA Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Rovi (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work , really good work culture with growth opportunities to excel ..especially with engineering team, team is very friendly /cooperative ..

Cons

Changing road map requirements some time impact the effectivery ream ..but that's usually for marketing and sales purpose and for the best for team

Advice to Management

Involving more team in road map planning will be useful for overall team.

"Ok place to work"

Former Employee - Vice President in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Good pay, benefits and perks

Cons

No product. IP company.

"They wouldn't know an asset if they had one."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Like others have said, they provide snacks or brunch and that is rather nice. All the people I directly worked with were creative, responsible, and well-bonded as a team. The work was pleasant, felt worthwhile, and something I felt good about doing.

Cons

Rovi grows by acquisition, which means they buy up other ideas instead of innovating their own. Then, they don't know how to integrate others' ideas into their master plan, so they sell off the assets again. This has led to losing their vision and their path. Without a vision other than patent trolling, they are circling the drain, having to cut costs (rather than innovate) to stay in business. Morale was low since jobs were precarious; all those talented people with specialized knowledge were let go, in order to outsource and offshore the work to people who had no knowledge of what the data was about and who did not have the kind of accuracy and dedication that the original workers had, some of whom had been there for decades. When you sell off what made you great in order to stop sinking, you might as well just give up and sink. In a best-case scenario, the other companies who pick up Rovi's sold-off assets and talent will know better what to do with it. Further, they kept blaming corporate mismanagement on "company culture," coming out with new buzzwords to represent what they wanted our values to be. This never works.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be everything, and just pick something. Even if what you pick as your bread and butter is the patent-troll path, be the best at it and forget about the other things you're trying to do; when you only try half-arse at something, you will get half-arse results. The Low Price isn't always something to be embraced unless you're willing to forego quality. In short, you had some really great things going, and it's a shame what you did (or, frankly, didn't) do with them. Try to recognize the assets you have left and don't mess those up too. As far as corporate culture goes, please recognize that culture isn't generally successful when replaced with cookie-cutter buzzwords from the top down. Culture bubbles up from below. The annual new mousepads and tchotchkes emblazoned with new cultural value buzzwords aren't going to create a profitable company for you when you flush your actual assets down the drain.