Rowan Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 21, 2019

3.1
Rowan Companies President and Chief Executive Officer Thomas P. Burke
Thomas P. Burke
Pros
  • "This is a good company to work for with good benefits and better than average salaries(in 9 reviews)

• "Good Pay and Benefits and 6 months off(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Company politics at upper management(in 6 reviews)

• "Subject to fluctuations in oil and gas industry, but this is no fault of the company(in 4 reviews)

1. "Good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Rowan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

None place was good to me

Advice to Management

Good job at what they do

Rowan Companies2019-07-10
  2. "Not great job"

I have been working at Rowan Companies

Pros

The pay is goodish other companies pay more and value you better sad they don’t match pay with how much they work you

Cons

No sick pay, they don’t like using PTO they hate overtime and can be penalized for overtime but they expect you to finish huge routes? They also don’t give you labor beaural number or hr so I’m currently lost on how to get help from amazon or hr. Threats and almost broke my foot and they didn’t pay me for my days I had to take off with doctors note. I’ve been almost robbed, chased by homeless people in the ghetto areas they send women to even after being asked not to after 3 attacks. I got stuck in Lafayette hills and almost rolled down a mudslide hill in the amazon van. They don’t care about your life being at risk and about daily obstacles— they still threaten to fire you if you done finish route. Make you use your cell phone and only give you $20 dollars but when you break your cellphone they do not cover damages?!?! Pressure is so high I didn’t take a lunch for a week bc if the threats of being fired and then they don’t pay you for not talking your lunch they manually input a lunch even if you don’t take one.... I work very hard but when it’s peak they leave you out on your own 300+ packages no help and keep threatening your job ?!? Company has given me such huge anxiety and I’m anemic bc they over work you in the rain... great paying job tho.

Rowan Companies2019-12-21
  3. "n/a"

Former Employee - Accountant

I worked at Rowan Companies full-time

Pros

The people were awesome

Cons

Management needs to listen to employees

Rowan Companies2019-10-07
  4. "Poor Management in Struggling Industry"

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Rowan Companies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Had several different job responsibilities so I was able to gain a lot of experience in different areas

Cons

Struggling industry - just went thru merger with Ensco. As a result, management expects employees to do several different jobs for no increase in pay. Management is demanding and tries to complete too many projects and changes at once. They are unable to effectively prioritize and goals change like the wind. Employees haven’t received raises in last 5 years and management is only interested in how much they can squeeze out of you with little to no care or loyalty to the employee. Senior management are only looking out for themselves and are not held accountable for poor decisions and poor management.

Advice to Management

Slow down pace if change and take care of employees who have worked so hard and been so loyal to keep the company afloat.

Rowan Companies2019-07-26
  5. "Trying but needs improvement"

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Rowan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lower level managers want to do the right thing Payroll is consistent Pay is reasonable

Cons

Sr. Leadership doesn't get it Staff not working offshore is minimized

Advice to Management

Sr. Leadership needs to treat all persons as a value to the organization

Rowan Companies2019-07-17

"ok job"

in Houston, TX

I have been working at Rowan Companies for more than 5 years

Pros

when o&g is doing well, its a great place to work

Cons

when o&g is tight...they strip everything down to the bolts

Advice to Management

find middle ground

Rowan Companies2018-09-11

"Another Drilling Company"

I worked at Rowan Companies full-time

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits and 6 months off.

Cons

Likes to keep people based on seniority instead of talent.

Advice to Management

None, unless you are "in"

Rowan Companies2018-08-02

"Security and Crisis Manager"

Former Employee - Management in Houston, TX

I worked at Rowan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A great company with a long history within the oil and gas industry. Its legacy is built upon the concept of family and goes through great effort to show it.

Cons

Streamlined the company to offset oil prices, which caused employees to wear multiple hats and increased workload.

Advice to Management

Don't loose focus on the family and the legacy in which the company stands on.

Rowan Companies2018-05-22

"Low Morale, Increased Workloads, Decreased Benefits and Nepotism"

Current Employee - Employee, Corporate Office in Houston, TX

I have been working at Rowan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* I still get a paycheck * A lot of my coworkers are nice people * I've been given a lot of responsibility * There's still some 401(k) match * Employees in senior positions are eligible for annual cash bonuses and stock (RSU) bonuses * "Diversity is a top priority" * Oil prices are finally on the rise, so maybe things will get better... ?

Cons

* The responsibilities increased because I'm now performing additional duties of two other employees who are no longer with Rowan * No title or compensation change accompanied the additional responsibilities * Management and career development are SEVERELY lacking * After 4 years with no pay change, I finally got a small raise this year... only to have it clawed back when the company announced an end to the pension program (5% of pay) AND a reduction in the 401(k) match (now a 5% match instead of 6%) * There are limited opportunities for advancement * The available opportunities tend to be awarded to white men, especially those who have a social or family connection to the (current or former) CEO * Although I believe it's subconscious, there is a bias towards hiring & promoting men. Despite all the talk and goals to the contrary, it doesn't feel like diversity is actually a priority. * Employees in junior technical roles and support staff roles do not qualify for any sort of bonus * We're strongly discouraged from discussing compensation and benefits. Presumably this is because there are massive discrepancies among people in similar positions. * CEO is streamlining the company, but at the cost of employee morale. -Will there be more layoffs? -Will we have more benefits reduced? -Will I ever get considered for a promotion? -Is the guy with the same title & experience as me really making as much money as the anonymous reports on Glassdoor (because I'm making about 35% less than that!)? -Are the rumors about moving to a PTO model accurate (a reduction in total paid days off)?

Advice to Management

There are a lot of high caliber employees still on payroll. Try not to alienate all of us. The industry is turning around and your competitors are starting to hire again. Right now, I'm taking their calls because I'm not valued here.

Rowan Companies2018-05-23

"Rowan Review"

I worked at Rowan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good health and dental benefits

Cons

Not a good culture which starts with senior managers.

Rowan Companies2018-02-26