Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Reviews | Glassdoor

Jed Lyons

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good and bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

I worked at Rowman & Littlefield Publishing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very flexible and creative environment. Lots of autonomy for certain positions.

Cons

Company frequently behind on loans, laid off many $$$ producing sales reps

Advice to Management

Needs to have more loyalty to long term employees and not be ruled by its bankers

"Decent starting point at a mediocre company"

Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Lanham, MD

I worked at Rowman & Littlefield Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Immediate supervisors are great (that depends what dept you are in)
    Laid back working environment
    Free parking
    Opportunity to learn the publishing business hands on
    Ideal for recent college students with little to no professional experience
    Great for experience.

Cons

They will literally publish anything under the sun.
    Low pay in regards to high cost of living (yes, it's publishing but with average rent in the DMV being $950 with a roommate, this is barely feasible. Lots of people have second jobs or part-time side gigs)
    HR dept is a joke
    High turnover rate
    Few opportunities to climb the ladder. I don't think there is a ladder actually unless you want to spend 5-8 years at a company and have your title changed to whatever HR finds suitable that probably won't even match what you actually do.
    On top of the salary being low, your benefits are laughable.
    This was not the case for me, but some of my coworkers had ridiculous workloads and deadlines for the same pay. The work of 3 becomes the work of 1 especially when high turnover rate season begins.
    You are replaceable in the eyes of management so don't think your special. There's a fresh crop of recent grads each year that HR adores to hire. The best thing you can do for yourself and your career is to again, gain your job experience, and apply to decent paying jobs in the area (there are plenty and lots of people who started off at R&L actually end up in great jobs, don't worry, it gets better!)

Advice to Management

Review your benefits package. At least improve morale by allowing your employees to have something to be happy about. You 'might' not have money to pay decent LIVING wages so throw in a couple of days of vacation or remote work. Maybe try to hire individuals who don't all look the same? Oh and also, it would be great if in the upper echelons of management actually knew the industry and had great social skills.

3. "Good for a first job"

Pros

Nice people, pleasant work environment

Cons

High rate of turnover in most departments

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for growth

4. "Hit ceiling for growth quickly"

Pros

great coworkers, work is not too strenuous

Cons

not a lot of room for growth; could be doing the same job for 10 years (title may change but function does not)

5. "Review of R&L"

I have been working at Rowman & Littlefield Publishing full-time

Pros

There is a strong focus on promoting from within the company, and the company culture is relaxed and relatively easy-going.

Cons

There is not a lot of communication between departments, which can lead to confusion. Base pay for entry-level staff is low compared to the cost of living near the company headquarters in the DC metro area.

"Great place to start"

Pros

Like a lot of the other reviewers have said, the laid-back, supportive, friendly environment makes this a great place to start your career in publishing. I've learned so much in my short time here so far, and everyone has been so helpful and encouraging.

Cons

Also like a lot of others have said, the benefits could be better. I can see why there's such high turnover when the compensation doesn't match up with the amount of work being done.

"Assistant Editor"

I worked at Rowman & Littlefield Publishing full-time

Pros

Great leadership, great authors. Co-workers really seem to enjoy their work.

Cons

Extremely different work cultures across departments. No team-building or morale-boosting activities. High turnover at the entry-level creates unexpected challenges and insecurity. Too much emphasis on individual achievement detracts from team mentality and innovation.

"Ruthless"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

I worked at Rowman & Littlefield Publishing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Creative atmosphere, brilliant talent. Room for growth

Cons

Management does not value long term employees, has fired top producing sales reps to trim payroll. Always seems to be on the brink of financial ruin. Very unstable atmosphere!

Advice to Management

Put more faith and value into the people you have. Look inward for perceived failures.

"Internship Experience"

Former Employee - Editorial Intern in Bel Air, MD
    Former Employee - Editorial Intern in Bel Air, MD

I worked at Rowman & Littlefield Publishing (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company with editors who are really invested in the company and in the books they're publishing.

Cons

As an intern, I did not feel that I received the proper amount. The internships are unpaid, so interns should receive experience and training instead of salary.

"Great place to start a career in publishing"

I worked at Rowman & Littlefield Publishing full-time

Pros

I worked at R&L full time for almost 2 years and learned a great deal about the publishing industry, along with other skills I didn't foresee. It was a great place to kick off a career in publishing and gave me confidence that my degree in English wasn't a waste (until then I wasn't so sure). Loved the people I worked with and the freedom of not having a micro manager over my shoulder

Cons

Would have liked room to grow and advance within the company, which was not an option in my department. It made coming to work after awhile seem pointless knowing that I couldn't advance my title.