Royal Bank of Scotland Reviews | Glassdoor

Royal Bank of Scotland Reviews

Updated July 26, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Work Load and Lack of Strategic Directions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylorsville, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylorsville, UT

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people that I worked with...

Cons

Lack of Strategic Directions and resources...running in fire fighting mode adhoc operations...

Advice to Management

Change is OK if there is an understood strategic plan and having the resources to successfully accomplish the strategy...

2. "Stamford Ct Office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

State of the art building in Stamford with easy access to trains and highway. Great people, collaborative environment, good choice for those seeking banking experience in a global organization.

Cons

Significant downsizing in the last 2 years has resulted in fewer jobs and a much smaller presence in Connecticut. 2 floors of the headquarters now leased to UBS. Fewer opportunities as layoffs continue.

"The exodus continues in Stamford"

Former Employee - Vice President in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Vice President in Stamford, CT

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland (More than a year)

Pros

Good base salary. Generous vacation. Good work-life balance. Many people are pleasant, friendly, and helpful. Nice office in convenient location for public transport and parking. Good amenities.

Cons

The workforce in the US has, and still is, being reduced drastically and continuously. If you look at the Warn notice list on the CT State website you will see that over the last few years and right up to the current date, they have been cutting jobs in batches of 30-50 or so typically once every month. The building was half empty when I was there and UBS has now moved into two floors. It was clear this branch had and more positive times in the past. The continuous exodus affected the behavior of staff and influenced the business decisions as people fought strategically and flexed their muscles in order to demonstrate their importance. However, there were some exceptions to the rule who just continued to roll their sleeves up and got with the job. I think there were also frustrations that cuts didn't seem to be happening in the UK offices at quite the same level as in the US, and that this was unfair. During the time I worked there management had not yet figured out a strategy on how to improve moral or provide any justifications for why staff should choose to stay.

Most of IT headcount had already been moved to lower cost centers. Typically for every one position in the US there were multiple replacements (usually about three) hired in the low cost location to equate. However, usually they were of a lower level of experience and the timezone differences and sometimes language barriers did not help. The level of knowledge and standard of work coming from the lower cost centers, with a few exceptions, was poor and in my opinion would not provide value in the long term. Many times I had to deal with support teams in other locations who did not respond, could not understand English, or did not have any technical knowledge or in fact know anything about the system or technology they were supporting. Sometimes development teams I had to work with would say "we cannot do this", even though the request was, in my opinion, not particularly technically challenging.

The level of bureaucracy was the worst I have ever witnessed. To get access to systems or to co-ordinate work with other teams took vast amounts of electronic paperwork, persistent follow-up, and escalation. The majority of emails to request access or help from other teams either went into black holes, or required persistent reminders and escalation to get actioned. To get the level of access required to do my job took several months after joining and many hours of persistent effort., and this was very frustrating. When working on projects sometimes arbitrary dates or goals were set just to please a manager or fit in with what was in a document. I think that sometimes developers and analysts lost sight of the goals they were trying to achieve, and were more focused on sticking to poorly designed project plans and arbitrary paper trails or documentation. One manager once said to me that he knows that it doesn't make sense for me to do something, but "If we need to tick a box on a document, we will". It was hard to believe that it could be any worse, but if anything required interaction with RBS Group staff or their systems then the level of bureaucracy rose to even more ridiculous levels.

For the most part, the technology stack is a little behind the times.They are one or two versions behind the latest and are still using outdated front-end technologies and frameworks. Some of the internal applications were some of the most poorly designed, bad quality user interfaces I have ever seen. Some didn't work at all, and I can't believe how they got through any QA.

There was limited budget. No travel to other offices with very few exceptions (mostly from the UK, not from the US, which caused some frustrations). Even the paper, pens, and other stationery was taken away from conference rooms, and we were told if we needed these things we needed to buy and bring our own.

There was no real work-from-home guidelines or policy and it was generally discouraged.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on reducing headcount and think instead concentrate on value. Try to improve the quality of work coming from lower-cost centers.
    Buy more third-party software and systems rather than rolling your own because the unseen long-term cost of poorly developed systems is high.
    Stop the continuous exodus of staff in small batches. Instead make a decision, and get it over and done with. Stop focusing on headcount reduction in the US and instead think long term. This will enable you to improve quality, value, and ultimately growth.

4. "credit risk reporting analyst"

Pros

really don't have any good reasons for working at RBS

Cons

heavily restructuring; not a good place for young people

5. "Good People"

Pros

I met good people there

Cons

management is bad, very bad

Advice to Management

focus on business development

"Overall Negative Experience"

Pros

Strong push for female bankers to succeed. Very senior female bankers reached out to female analysts for chats.

Cons

Low transparency. Over hired a summer analyst intern class and did not provide any return offers.

7. "Changing Compant"

Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland (More than a year)

Pros

Great people with a global outlook

Cons

Currently going through a lot of change - unstable.

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some really great people and an excellent benefits package. Great facilities/amenities. Used to be a pretty great place to work.

Cons

Massive layoffs/significant downsizing in the U.S.

Limited bonuses/raises for the past several years.

Little to no room for growth.

Lack of transparency.

Managers are generally clueless.

Company more interested in leasing out space in the building to outside businesses to generate revenue than actually hiring and retaining talented people to earn it through the banking side.

All makes for terrible overall work morale.

Advice to Management

Try taking care of the employees that are taking care of your business. People are jumping ship left and right because they feel they are undervalued and not properly taken care of.

I can not emphasize enough how this concept should be looked at from the bottom up and not the other way around.

Value your employees, ALL of them. Don't just take care of the ones at the top. (who aren't doing much anyway)

9. "Dysfunctional"

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time

Pros

Compensation is good, particularly incl value account.

Cons

Difficult to know where to start...

10. "RBS Finance - US"

Former Employee - Senior Finance Associate in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Finance Associate in Stamford, CT

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent co workers, nice facilities

Cons

Middle management gives no guidance or supports growth. Senior management is not available to junior level. Lack of transparency.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation to the people that complete the day to day responsibilties.

Showing 354 of 2,496 reviews