Royal Bank of Scotland Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Summer Analyst"

Former Employee - Summer Analyst in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Summer Analyst in Stamford, CT

Pros

Strong work environment, solid access to senior employees, beautiful facilities

Cons

Below average pay, struggling bank, retention issues

2. "Developer and Business Analyst **NO NJ**"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Extra vacation days and rugby sponsorship.

Cons

Shockingly poor management and repeated blunders.

Advice to Management

Spend money on quality people and keep them.

3. "Shadow of itself"

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be legit debt platform (Greenwich through ~2013) before bailout and restructuring decimated the place

Cons

Cost controls, politics, turnover, shrinking US (and global) presence, pay cuts, ever changing strategy

4. "Work Load and Lack of Strategic Directions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylorsville, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylorsville, UT

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people that I worked with...

Cons

Lack of Strategic Directions and resources...running in fire fighting mode adhoc operations...

Advice to Management

Change is OK if there is an understood strategic plan and having the resources to successfully accomplish the strategy...

5. "Average"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance. great health care benefits

Cons

Weak outlook, fewer career opps

6. "Great atmosphere from 2010 to 2012. English government forced bank to consolidate US operations and most left in 2014"

Former Employee - First Year Associate in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - First Year Associate in Stamford, CT

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial atmosphere, competitive pay, low cost of living, high deal flow, good interactions between different banking divisions, large trading presence

Cons

Towards the end, many people left - joined new firms or were fired. Sold large portions of loan book to Mizuho. Trading floor was gutted.

Advice to Management

Management appeared selfish at times. Never clearly communicated a transition plan. Shell remains of what once was there in terms of personnel and trading capability.

7. "Stamford Ct Office"

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

State of the art building in Stamford with easy access to trains and highway. Great people, collaborative environment, good choice for those seeking banking experience in a global organization.

Cons

Significant downsizing in the last 2 years has resulted in fewer jobs and a much smaller presence in Connecticut. 2 floors of the headquarters now leased to UBS. Fewer opportunities as layoffs continue.

8. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Director in Stamford, CT

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Culture and corporate values. Fair base salary. Senior management is focused on preparing the firm for the best in the near future

Cons

Nothing to mention at the this point.

Advice to Management

Continue focused on delivering the business strategy and looking after the employees who are the most important asset of the organization

"The exodus continues in Stamford"

Former Employee - Vice President in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Vice President in Stamford, CT

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland (More than a year)

Pros

Good base salary. Generous vacation. Good work-life balance. Many people are pleasant, friendly, and helpful. Nice office in convenient location for public transport and parking. Good amenities.

Cons

The workforce in the US has, and still is, being reduced drastically and continuously. If you look at the Warn notice list on the CT State website you will see that over the last few years and right up to the current date, they have been cutting jobs in batches of 30-50 or so typically once every month. The building was half empty when I was there and UBS has now moved into two floors. It was clear this branch had and more positive times in the past. The continuous exodus affected the behavior of staff and influenced the business decisions as people fought strategically and flexed their muscles in order to demonstrate their importance. However, there were some exceptions to the rule who just continued to roll their sleeves up and got with the job. I think there were also frustrations that cuts didn't seem to be happening in the UK offices at quite the same level as in the US, and that this was unfair. During the time I worked there management had not yet figured out a strategy on how to improve moral or provide any justifications for why staff should choose to stay.

Most of IT headcount had already been moved to lower cost centers. Typically for every one position in the US there were multiple replacements (usually about three) hired in the low cost location to equate. However, usually they were of a lower level of experience and the timezone differences and sometimes language barriers did not help. The level of knowledge and standard of work coming from the lower cost centers, with a few exceptions, was poor and in my opinion would not provide value in the long term. Many times I had to deal with support teams in other locations who did not respond, could not understand English, or did not have any technical knowledge or in fact know anything about the system or technology they were supporting. Sometimes development teams I had to work with would say "we cannot do this", even though the request was, in my opinion, not particularly technically challenging.

The level of bureaucracy was the worst I have ever witnessed. To get access to systems or to co-ordinate work with other teams took vast amounts of electronic paperwork, persistent follow-up, and escalation. The majority of emails to request access or help from other teams either went into black holes, or required persistent reminders and escalation to get actioned. To get the level of access required to do my job took several months after joining and many hours of persistent effort., and this was very frustrating. When working on projects sometimes arbitrary dates or goals were set just to please a manager or fit in with what was in a document. I think that sometimes developers and analysts lost sight of the goals they were trying to achieve, and were more focused on sticking to poorly designed project plans and arbitrary paper trails or documentation. One manager once said to me that he knows that it doesn't make sense for me to do something, but "If we need to tick a box on a document, we will". It was hard to believe that it could be any worse, but if anything required interaction with RBS Group staff or their systems then the level of bureaucracy rose to even more ridiculous levels.

For the most part, the technology stack is a little behind the times.They are one or two versions behind the latest and are still using outdated front-end technologies and frameworks. Some of the internal applications were some of the most poorly designed, bad quality user interfaces I have ever seen. Some didn't work at all, and I can't believe how they got through any QA.

There was limited budget. No travel to other offices with very few exceptions (mostly from the UK, not from the US, which caused some frustrations). Even the paper, pens, and other stationery was taken away from conference rooms, and we were told if we needed these things we needed to buy and bring our own.

There was no real work-from-home guidelines or policy and it was generally discouraged.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on reducing headcount and think instead concentrate on value. Try to improve the quality of work coming from lower-cost centers.
    Buy more third-party software and systems rather than rolling your own because the unseen long-term cost of poorly developed systems is high.
    Stop the continuous exodus of staff in small batches. Instead make a decision, and get it over and done with. Stop focusing on headcount reduction in the US and instead think long term. This will enable you to improve quality, value, and ultimately growth.

10. "Good Place to work"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

Great community to work with. Great work life balance.

Cons

Cross departmental rigidity. Some times it may take long to complete an assignment due to handovers.

Advice to Management

Adopt lean technology and centralize the decision making process to 1 region.

Showing 2,275 of 2,481 reviews