Royal Bank of Scotland Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Director in Stamford, CT

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Culture and corporate values. Fair base salary. Senior management is focused on preparing the firm for the best in the near future

Cons

Nothing to mention at the this point.

Advice to Management

Continue focused on delivering the business strategy and looking after the employees who are the most important asset of the organization

"The exodus continues in Stamford"

Former Employee - Vice President in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Vice President in Stamford, CT

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland (More than a year)

Pros

Good base salary. Generous vacation. Good work-life balance. Many people are pleasant, friendly, and helpful. Nice office in convenient location for public transport and parking. Good amenities.

Cons

The workforce in the US has, and still is, being reduced drastically and continuously. If you look at the Warn notice list on the CT State website you will see that over the last few years and right up to the current date, they have been cutting jobs in batches of 30-50 or so typically once every month. The building was half empty when I was there and UBS has now moved into two floors. It was clear this branch had and more positive times in the past. The continuous exodus affected the behavior of staff and influenced the business decisions as people fought strategically and flexed their muscles in order to demonstrate their importance. However, there were some exceptions to the rule who just continued to roll their sleeves up and got with the job. I think there were also frustrations that cuts didn't seem to be happening in the UK offices at quite the same level as in the US, and that this was unfair. During the time I worked there management had not yet figured out a strategy on how to improve moral or provide any justifications for why staff should choose to stay.

Most of IT headcount had already been moved to lower cost centers. Typically for every one position in the US there were multiple replacements (usually about three) hired in the low cost location to equate. However, usually they were of a lower level of experience and the timezone differences and sometimes language barriers did not help. The level of knowledge and standard of work coming from the lower cost centers, with a few exceptions, was poor and in my opinion would not provide value in the long term. Many times I had to deal with support teams in other locations who did not respond, could not understand English, or did not have any technical knowledge or in fact know anything about the system or technology they were supporting. Sometimes development teams I had to work with would say "we cannot do this", even though the request was, in my opinion, not particularly technically challenging.

The level of bureaucracy was the worst I have ever witnessed. To get access to systems or to co-ordinate work with other teams took vast amounts of electronic paperwork, persistent follow-up, and escalation. The majority of emails to request access or help from other teams either went into black holes, or required persistent reminders and escalation to get actioned. To get the level of access required to do my job took several months after joining and many hours of persistent effort., and this was very frustrating. When working on projects sometimes arbitrary dates or goals were set just to please a manager or fit in with what was in a document. I think that sometimes developers and analysts lost sight of the goals they were trying to achieve, and were more focused on sticking to poorly designed project plans and arbitrary paper trails or documentation. One manager once said to me that he knows that it doesn't make sense for me to do something, but "If we need to tick a box on a document, we will". It was hard to believe that it could be any worse, but if anything required interaction with RBS Group staff or their systems then the level of bureaucracy rose to even more ridiculous levels.

For the most part, the technology stack is a little behind the times.They are one or two versions behind the latest and are still using outdated front-end technologies and frameworks. Some of the internal applications were some of the most poorly designed, bad quality user interfaces I have ever seen. Some didn't work at all, and I can't believe how they got through any QA.

There was limited budget. No travel to other offices with very few exceptions (mostly from the UK, not from the US, which caused some frustrations). Even the paper, pens, and other stationery was taken away from conference rooms, and we were told if we needed these things we needed to buy and bring our own.

There was no real work-from-home guidelines or policy and it was generally discouraged.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on reducing headcount and think instead concentrate on value. Try to improve the quality of work coming from lower-cost centers.
    Buy more third-party software and systems rather than rolling your own because the unseen long-term cost of poorly developed systems is high.
    Stop the continuous exodus of staff in small batches. Instead make a decision, and get it over and done with. Stop focusing on headcount reduction in the US and instead think long term. This will enable you to improve quality, value, and ultimately growth.

3. "IT Director"

Former Employee - Global Head of Trade Technologies in Winnetka, IL
    Former Employee - Global Head of Trade Technologies in Winnetka, IL

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland (More than 8 years)

Pros

Global exposure, good benefits and compensation

Cons

Bank's is in a continues state of retrenchment

Advice to Management

Streamline and reduce governance focus more on the client and solution delivery.

4. "A Company to Avoid"

Former Contractor - Program Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Program Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large company with global opportunities

Cons

With multiple lines of reporting, the values and direction from management are often conflicting. There are multiple levels of bureaucracy and unnecessary complexity built into everyday processes to to point where nothing gets accomplished. The corporate culture is one that places value on covering your butt instead of working together to get anything done.

5. "Great place while it lasted..."

Former Employee - Business Manager in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Stamford, CT

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time

Pros

The people made a difference and the line of work was very rewarding when the Americas region was in a healthy state, it's currently being downsized and eventually a much smaller presence if any.

Cons

Inconsistency of management; constant changes as a result of poor decision making from management.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on efficiency and consistency.

6. "Great People"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Specialist in Montvale, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Specialist in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Downsizing in the USA is ongoing.

7. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Technology Analyst in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Technology Analyst in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance. Interesting projects. Nice people in tech.

Cons

No growth opportunities due to the restructuring of the bank and the amount of jobs they are cutting. Moral is poor.

8. "Good work environment"

Former Employee - Analyst in Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Work life balance and benefits are good. Met and worked with a lot of good people.

Cons

It's hard to keep up with all the changes happening.

9. "Technology Lead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work with ideal work life balance

Cons

NO cons in particular It is a great place to work

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

10. "Performance Test Lead"

Current Employee - Performance Test Engineer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Performance Test Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland (Less than a year)

Pros

good experience to work

Cons

to learn new technologies and new software

Showing 189 of 2,484 reviews