Royal British Legion Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 45 reviews

2.6
Royal British Legion CEO Charles Byrne
Charles Byrne
Pros
  • "Great working environment, with lovely, committed colleagues(in 5 reviews)

• "Senior management are really approachable and they are actively looking to make the Legion a better place(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Takes a long time to change anything within a charity(in 6 reviews)

• "Bullying is rife from senior management who manage through fear and threat, creating a controlling environment(in 5 reviews)

"Brilliant aims; negative atmosphere"

Former Employee - Digital Editor in London, England

I worked at Royal British Legion full-time for more than a year

Pros

The goals of the charity are commendable and the welfare support they provide is excellent. Overall I did feel like my work was contributing to a worthy cause. I had access to excellent external training that gave me invaluable skills, allowing me to progress in my career.

Cons

Some teams (including mine) had a negative atmosphere. The senior managers in my team treated juniors and middle managers like children, which led to more than half of the team quitting within a few months. Hopefully the working environment has changed since early 2018.

Advice to Management

Promote a healthy working atmosphere where everyone’s opinions are listened to and valued and team bonding is encouraged.

Royal British Legion2019-08-08

August 14, 2019Resourcing Manager

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are working really hard to make the Legion a great place to work. If you want to give any further particular feedback to help us for the future, please do get in contact with the HR team.

"Ok job"

Former Employee - Chef

I worked at Royal British Legion full-time for more than a year

Pros

What the charity stands for is fantastic

Cons

Senior management can be wasteful with charities money

Advice to Management

Treat the charities money like there own

Royal British Legion2019-08-11

August 14, 2019Resourcing Manager

Hi, thank you for your time in leaving a review. We are continually trying to improve. If you would like to discuss further, please contact the HR team.

"Terrible charity ethics and management"

Former Employee - Databaser in London, England

I worked at Royal British Legion full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good projects to get involved into to fix all the ongoing issues. Nice people to make friends with.

Cons

Terrible management, directors who do not give you the career progression when asked and not supportive. Higher level management just care about themselves and improving their position. Managers are useless and salary is not competitive although they say this is benchmarked against other charities still pay less even when shown proof. Waste of your supporters money hiring expensive consultants when not needed.... Spend hige amounts on annual conferences to alton towers for 3 days when not beneficial. Money could be spent on ex armed forces who genuinely need it.

Advice to Management

Listen to colleagues when they want to grow or progress. Improve salaries not just brush it under the carpet

Royal British Legion2019-08-14

"Great charity and place to work"

Current Employee - Head of Procurement in London, England

I have been working at Royal British Legion full-time for more than a year

Pros

Passionate, friendly people. Great office and London location.

Cons

Commercially a bit immature, like most charities, but we are here to change that

Royal British Legion2019-06-24

July 1, 2019Assistant Director - HR Advisory

Hi! Thank you so much for the review, it's great to read of your experience with us and acknowledge we are all working to improve RBL

5. "Rewarding work supporting beneficiaries, with dedicated staff and management"

Current Employee - Grants Officer in London, England

I have been working at Royal British Legion full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Rewarding work supporting a diverse range of beneficiaries in multiple ways - New 'ways of working' project is now complete, meaning Haig House HQ is being used more efficiently, enabling flexible working where appropriate/necessary - Staff and management genuinely care about the job and there is a clearly defined purpose - Receiving thank you messages from beneficiaries we have helped really makes you... feel valued and confirms the important work we do - Haig House HQ is very accessible, very close to Borough and London Bridge Stations, with the lovely Borough Market nearby - Supportive and friendly colleagues - Plenty of scope for career progression/development, with quarterly reviews being worthwhile and giving a genuine sense of progression. Plenty of e-learning and courses to take - Senior management are taking steps to improve staff engagement - Good social activities eg social club, Legion football once a week - Excellent to see TRBL modernising and becoming more inclusive with things like the introduction of an LGBT branch - Supportive HR if the need arises! - Pay rose vaguely in line with inflation this year, good to see the Legion moving away from previous performance-based pay

Cons

- IT systems can be slow sometimes, but a) to be expected from a charity, and b) Legion IT helpdesk staff are always available and very friendly, efficient and professional

Royal British Legion2019-05-29

June 3, 2019Assistant Director - HR Advisory

Hi! Thank you so much for the review, it's great to read of your experience with us. I know IM&T are working hard to address the issues and are making progress every week.

"Appalling Treatment of Staff"

I worked at Royal British Legion

Pros

Great colleagues and genuinely rewarding work helping beneficiaries.

Cons

Management and HR are useless. Line manager had little or no people skills. HR unable to make a decision either.

Advice to Management

Get your priorities right and treat staff with the respect they deserve.

Royal British Legion2019-07-02

July 8, 2019Assistant Director - HR Advisory

Hi- so sorry to hear of your experience whilst you were with us. We really would like the opportunity to hear more about your time at RBL - please contact the AD of HR if you would like to talk this through.

"Don’t expect anyone to show you what to do, you need to learn from Google."

Former Employee - Career Adviser in Chatham, England

I worked at Royal British Legion full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers really friendly and genuinely care about clients and each other

Cons

No training No structure Hands off management style

Royal British Legion2019-05-23

June 3, 2019Assistant Director - HR Advisory

Hi, I'm really sorry to hear of your experience during your time with RBL. If you want to give any further particular feedback to help us for the future, please do get in contact with the HR team.

"A British Institution: huge, a bit inconsistent but heading in the right direction"

I worked at Royal British Legion full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Head office a London microcosm with huge diversity of people - Actively encouraged to visit Legion-run services to see impact you make - Some amazing teams with great staff engagement and high retention - Good development opportunities, e.g. courses, in-house training team - Most managers flexible about working from home arrangements, hours etc - A lot of change, with new plans, policies, monitoring..., website on the way and organisational strategy refresh. Appears to be heading in right direction, if a little slowly.

Cons

- Some teams with low engagement and high turnover - Frustratingly slow to change at times as huge group without fully clear vision from CEO - Difficult as a manager to use staff surveys as only run at department level every 18 months - Lots of duplication and different parts pulled together as one whole (e.g the complaints on here about their Byng House Centre... Or the positive reviews about local Legion... clubs) which makes charity less agile

Advice to Management

- CEO needs clear vision and to make tough decisions - Change your financial year to April to March - Change your staff surveys so managers can deploy throughout the year. And put responsibility onto managers for these scores. - CEO needs clearer vision. Group needs restructure to ensure focus and to reduce teams/people doing same work

Royal British Legion2019-04-13

April 15, 2019Assistant Director - HR Advisory

Hi, thank you for taking the time to upload your observations. We are working really hard to make the Legion a great place to work. Please do give this feedback direct to your AD, or contact HR, we'd love to have a chat

"Poor management at break centre, Byng House"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southport, England

I have been working at Royal British Legion full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

None that I can think off

Cons

No respect to current members of staff, management have own agendas and make the break centre feel more like a dictatorship than anything else. You say something to your manager and you are systematically belittled until you hand your notice in. Members of management spend more time writing pointless emails about rubbish and leave the staff to struggle through when short staffed, when the only reason why we... are short staff is that the rota does not meet the business needs.

Advice to Management

Start showing that you care about your team. Show you are willing to help out and stop treating us like the lowest of the low.

Royal British Legion2019-05-08

June 3, 2019Assistant Director - HR Advisory

Hi, thank you for taking the time to upload your observations. I'm sorry to hear of your experienced, we are working really hard to make the Legion a great place to work. Please do contact HR or your Assistant Director of Breaks, we'd love to have a chat to see how we can make things ...

10. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Royal British Legion full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great working environment, with lovely, committed colleagues. Its great to be part of a charity which has such far-reaching positive affects on those we support. Senior management are really approachable and they are actively looking to make the Legion a better place.

Cons

Takes a long time to change anything within a charity ..... but the intentions for change to the better are there.

Royal British Legion2019-04-03