Royal Mail Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Royal Mail CEO Moya M. Greene
Moya M. Greene

Pros
  • Get to meet interesting people on the rounds, keeps you fit (in 22 reviews)

• Plenty of exercise and meeting people, good hours of work, good rate of pay, also colleagues are really friendly in my depot (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Can't see any maybe apart the fact that they won't employ more full time people (in 16 reviews)

• old boys club; it's not what you can do when you know the right person/ or sleeping with senior management (astonishingly common (in 10 reviews)

"Opportunity for a new foreigner from the developing world to earn a very basic living in the western environment."

Pros

Overall, for a non-graduate this would serve as a base to acquire some work experience. The basic pay package is better than most firms in the UK, which explains why many foreigners start-up with this company.

Cons

Conversely, for graduates of non-UK institutions who generally find themselves working here, feel and are 'trapped' in the environment which is a 'dead' end job situation for them.

2. "Rapidly declining company"

Current Employee - Postperson in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Postperson in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Royal Mail full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues, pay rate is ok

Cons

Low level management are totally inept

Advice to Management

More front line workers needed - cuts to workforce being made in wrong areas. You should aspire to hire a better quality of low level/line managers

3. "Not worth it"

Former Employee - Postman in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Postman in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Royal Mail (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working outdoors, keeps you fit no bosses to harass you

Cons

Management don't care about you, rubbish uniform

5. "Rubbish"

Pros

None did not care about staff

Cons

Not worth the money you get paid

Advice to Management

Better trsining

6. "Sorting office"

I worked at Royal Mail (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very decent Pay rates. Easy work some reasonable shifts patterns. Lots to do. Some friendly staff, very large sorting office.

Cons

Lots of bulling and harrasment. Management can make your life hell. Some managers do not have a clue on how to do their job. Lots of trust issues.

Advice to Management

If your not part of the crew, you will never make management. If you want to suck up and do favors for certain management then you will be considered to be in a higher postion.

7. "Terrible"

Pros

Reasonable Pay and that is all.

Cons

Worst working environment
    Terrible hours.
    Short breaks.

8. "Royal fail ..."

Former Employee - Post Man in Stroud, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Post Man in Stroud, England (UK)

I worked at Royal Mail part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing good comes to mind :-/

Cons

Where do i start ?

The Job is unfortunately manipulated by bonus driven managers

And unrealistic added pressures, for example the contract I was on had me start at 7:50am and Finnish at 14:10 in the time I was expected to do "flexing" which is section of another round due to low volume of staff and still complete my round within the time, when I couldn't complete and had to pick my kids up this was met with attitude from management.

Hospital appointments/weddings and other life events are frowned upon if requested due to royal mails ridiculous holiday system which requires you to book a year in advance

Even during time off you still get harassed to work

Seniority ruins the work environment!!! Everybody does the same job, yet the attitude of the senior members ruins the work vibe and they aren't too welcoming to new workers

If you want to waste your life then become a robot at Royal Mail, if your part time expect to be sent to different offices, do the worst rounds in the office
    Be bullied and pressured into extra work so manages sit back and earn their bonus easy way

Years ago Royal Mail had a purpose, 1st and 2nd class mail was imperative.
    Now with the currently technology of drones delivering, different couriers, email
    And technology developing rapidly
    Will Royal Mail be an important figure in delivering?
    It's seems to be a lot of things going on with pensions, looking at reducing hours to 35 a week
    So big changes seem to be coming, but I bet it will be for the worst

Advice to Management

Respect your team !!!!!
    Stop pressuring staff to do work you should be doing !!

9. "post man"

I worked at Royal Mail part-time

Pros

Nothing good to say about it

Cons

if your face doesn't fit give up

Advice to Management

favouratism, pre judgement of people's abilities, ageist,bullies

"Talk the talk but don't walk the walk"

Current Employee - Delivery Sector Manager
    Current Employee - Delivery Sector Manager

I have been working at Royal Mail full-time

Pros

Generally good people, particularly in management roles.
    Good renumeration package in line with industry standard.

Cons

Shocking ingrained behaviours, particularly within executive management levels.
    Threat and pressure based management styles rife due to ever increasing pressures to get results.
    Complete lack of long term planning and overview focusing only only immediacy of issues with a view to making the figures fit what they want them to say.
    Poor work life balance, 6 days a week is the norm along with 12 hour days.

Advice to Management

A root and branch cleanse of executive management is needed. Those people who have been in the business for time immemorial are no longer fit for purpose inf the new business model, and pressure manage downwards in the only way they know how. Shocking culture and behaviours exist as a result.

11. "Christmas Casual Glasgow - Shambles"

Former Contractor - Royal Mail, Christmas Casual in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Contractor - Royal Mail, Christmas Casual in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Royal Mail as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Genuinely no pros I can think of. Maybe could say the only Pro was some of the people you got to meet while working there.

Cons

From start to finish this was organised chaos. Had been told in November I had the job and given a start date of Dec 4th, this date was pushed back a week, a week later received a voicemail to say that the job was cancelled. The following week I received another voicemail asking if I could come in that evening at 10pm for a night shift - I received this voicemail at around 7.30pm (very short notice).

I accepted and went along that evening. After an hours "induction" - basically watched a couple of videos and then a building tour it was onto the warehouse floor and left to it.

Given a VERY brief explanation of how to deal with sorting the mail and the different types and off the management and coaches went. Learned more from the other casual staff than I did any manager or coach.

One minute you'd be doing a task and the next pulled away to another department and given another ridiculously brief explanation of what you were to do - usually filled with company jargon - that left everyone scratching their heads and finding their own way of doing the job.

At one point I had a manager and two coaches arguing over how a task was to be done, all the while I was stood there 15 mins into my shift and none the wiser as to what task was to be completed.

They ended our employment at 6am on the Saturday Morning - without any prior notice. As we all went to sign out, a woman was asking for our badges and then we were handed a letter thanking us for our work etc and that was that. So not only was it a shambles in getting a start date but also a shambles in the way it was ended. No prior warning, just told at the end of a shift. Unacceptable but just highlights what RM thinks of their Christmas Casuals - nothing!

Advice to Management

Have a plan prior to the arrival of the workers - seems like every decision was made at the drop of a hat, just winging it basically. Mass confusion reigned without proper direction or anyone willing to take charge.