Royal Mail Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Royal Mail CEO Moya M. Greene
Moya M. Greene

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay for stress free simple work (in 63 reviews)

• Get to meet interesting people on the rounds, keeps you fit (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Usually a full time colleague will work with a part time colleague (in 21 reviews)

• Part time workers not being on a saturday off rota (in 14 reviews)

1. "Clueless"

Former Employee - Postman in Northampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Postman in Northampton, England (UK)

I worked at Royal Mail full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wages are really good and weekly pay plus chances for overtime

Cons

Bullying by management due to inexperience and cultural differences

Advice to Management

Listen and understand

2. "Sun, Rain and Text Messaging."

Current Employee - OPG in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - OPG in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Royal Mail part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's great working outdoors. The daylight, fresh air, birds singing, the exercise. The hours are pretty good, you start early so you miss rush hour traffic, you finish early too so there's still time to do things with your day. When you're out of the office and on the street you actually have time to think, or maybe you could listen to music. It's a good job for a person who hates being cooped up indoors.

Cons

It's also bad working outdoors. It can be freezing, raining, floods. Pushing a trolley full of mail through the snow is awful. Your face and fingers completely numb with cold. Currently I work in a rural office, booking holidays can be a nightmare. Also it seems at the moment Royal Mail is refusing to employ enough staff and either making us deliver the excess mail if we finish before our contracted hours, or relying on reserve staff to do overtime. Management is pretty shocking in rural offices and sometimes we can go a month without seeing a member of managerial staff, we receive instruction via text message! Another thing to think about is your fitness level as walking 7-10 miles a day can take its toll.

Advice to Management

We need managing. We have to work out ourselves which walks need to be lapsed in our SPDO. On occasion when we have cut-off, mail has been left undelivered even when management have known about it (wilful delay?). The standard of work has really gone downhill since we started lapsing. NOBODY checks the redirections, which is really frustrating when you return from your holiday and find multiple complaints on your fitting. Door to door items do not get touched when a walk has been lapsed or covered by reserves, and kill offs just pile up and up. Getting hold of management is impossible, they DO NOT answer their phones! I tried ringing 3 different managers recently and had no answer. What if I'd been mauled by a dog, or robbed? The van broke down on a Saturday once, all calls were ignored and when I wrote a text message explaining what had happened I immediately got a call back. Obviously they didn't want to talk to me on a Saturday.

3. "being run into the ground"

Current Employee - Postman in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Postman in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Royal Mail full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tremendous camaraderie , everybody at my office looks out for each other

Cons

19 years ago the job was a bit of a joke , way too easy. Fast forward to now and it's the complete opposite , rounds are too long , management are very aggressive, all offices are short staffed and the upper tiers of management ignore what's happening as profit is the only goal. Workers rights are being eroded and health and safety is largely ignored. Weekly work time learning sessions (a mandatory requirement) are very infrequent. The general public are no longer a priority the company is only interested in big business.

Advice to Management

Listen properly to staff on the front line . Instead of solely relying on computers to build walks actually involve staff . Cumulative fatigue is a real thing my days off are spent resting ,I hardly have the energy to play with my children anymore. Come out and actually try a walk , not just for a day but 3-4 consecutive days .Almost anyone is capable of doing a walk for 1 day. If things continue as they are Royal Mail will be looking at a huge amount of industrial injury claims in the future, the number of injuries at my office is definitely increasing.

4. "Honest opinion"

Former Employee - OPG in Barnsley, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)
    Former Employee - OPG in Barnsley, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I worked at Royal Mail (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working alongside hard working undervalued staff, working in the outdoors, keeps you fit, decent enough pay scale, free uniform (providing they ever accept your request!)

Cons

Poor Management, undervalued staff, a make do attitude from senior management, the negative impact it has your body, poorly managed Christmas pressure period.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees as without them the business will struggle even more than its doing now. Its not always about the shareholders!

5. "POSTMAN"

Current Employee - Postman in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Postman in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Royal Mail full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Weekly paid( for now). Early finishes. Good Benefits.

Cons

90% of manager are bullies and should not be in their role. Everything that goes wrong In the office always falls back to being the posties fault. To much work in to little time. Managers not giving true account of workload in order to give you more(lapsing). If you make a mistake Royal mail is quick to conduct. Treat new staff horribly like it or lump it attitude. Lastly some workmates are happy to stab you in the back given any opportunity and to top it off a strike is looming mostly for the above stated.

Advice to Management

Get some training.... Stop blaming youre lack of skills on those you are suppose to manage.

"Great until you need something"

Current Employee - Postman in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Postman in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Royal Mail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work outdoors
    Meet new people everyday
    Keep fit
    Make new friends
    Good benefits
    Good pension
    Good opportunities

Cons

Pressure to make jobs bigger & completed in a shorter time frame
    Management are useless when you need something or have an illness
    Never get the holiday you want to book
    Apprenticeships etc still need education to get into

Advice to Management

Care about your staff more & the figures less. Morale makes moula

7. "Not good for career progression"

Former Employee - Finance Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Finance Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Royal Mail full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance and pension

Cons

Noone cares about career progression

8. "DOM"

I worked at Royal Mail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good money; forced O.T in the world of delivery will help pay the bill (unless the DSM decides not to pay you, which can happen)

Cons

Every morning hoping the apocalypses had arrived to save you from the living hell that is RM Management

Advice to Management

Be radical as RM is driving off a cliff

9. "Postman"

Current Employee - Postman in Colchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Postman in Colchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Royal Mail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

General finish times. Keeping fit. Sunshine in the summer!

Cons

Overworked, the need to work through breaks, lack of training on new starters, new walks. Lack of communication. Priority all based on seniority, very old fashioned. Managers need more training on people skills and planning. No consistency. Constant cut on hours and overtime, too much undelivered mail and no consequence.

Advice to Management

As above

10. "Depends on where you work"

I have been working at Royal Mail full-time

Pros

The other staff, customers, weather, managers in some other offices

Cons

The managers in my area ( not much interest beyond shifting the responsibility for getting mail out on to the staff - ), some customers, dogs and the weather.

Advice to Management

If you get mediators in to interview staff about their concerns with the office, don't sit on the report for a year, if you have a high rate of sickness due to stress, don't assume that staff laziness is the cause, if there is a high incidence of ill health retirements, don't assume it's a coincidence, if there is a suicide by a staff member, don't assume work related stress has nothing to do with it....

....If senior mangement have not noticed a pattern of problems with my office, are you incompetent? If you have noticed a problem, are you wilfully ignoring it to the detriment of the staff, the customers, the service and the business?