KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 429 of over 430 reviews

3.8
Royal United Mortgage President and CEO Mike Keleher
Mike Keleher
Pros
  • "Once you make it through training, you end up on a small team with other loan advisers and a leader(in 31 reviews)

• "Lively work environment with great co-workers(in 29 reviews)

• Cons
  • "And if your not dialing or working even if you hit quota and closed 5 loans that month aka me(in 18 reviews)

• "And since loan advisors only bonus off of closed loans (most newbies only close 1-2(in 16 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Finance

JPMorgan Chase

83 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Royal United Mortgage and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

Great Culture, Great Development

Aug 9, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company practices what they preach. The job is hard - there is no question about it, but they are transparent about that. No cushy desk job will pay you over 6 figures without requiring a bachelor's degree or maybe even a master's. So it makes sense that you do have to come in and work hard but that hard work is definitely rewarded - and not only in compensation. The benefits are excellent - admittedly when I started right out of college I really didn't understand the significance of a 25% 401(k) match - now I do and it's a great feeling to know you're set for retirement without having to contribute a huge amount all on your own. The culture is awesome, there are so many trainings and programs in place to foster development and promote upward mobility. Personally, I think my favorite thing is Royal's commitment to it's people and their job security. They have never laid one employee off - ever. That's pretty much unheard of in the mortgage industry. When COVID hit, they pulled us all together in a meeting and said that even though they didn't know what was going to happen, that our jobs were of utmost importance to them to keep. A company where you're paid well, given good benefits, exposed to a great culture, and you have job security? Makes it difficult to leave.

Cons

There could be more focus for upward mobility for women and other minorities. (I know they are actively working to change this but it's good to continually think about)

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Company, great opportunity!

Sep 28, 2021 - Loan Advisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company and great opportunity if you're willing to work hard every day!

Cons

Maybe those unwilling to work hard...

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not Easy, But Worth It

Aug 9, 2021 - Loan Advisor in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Federal Test training is second to none: in house with a great instructor - every place else makes you take it on your own - Training during apprenticeship is solid in classroom as well as learning on the job skills from a mentor - $2,000 promotion bonus when I became an LA really helped - Able to raise my base pay after 6 months on the job while earning bonuses - Team environment, we all look out for each other, contests and holding each other accountable - Being paid for community service - Able to make 75K+ working only 40 or 45 hours - Very defined career path to move up in the company quickly if you want to be a leader

Cons

- Expectations during first 3 months are high, but geared to make you able to do the job right out of training - Dialing the phones is not fun but the money that can be made is worth it if you're disciplined - Requires mental toughness, a lot of people don't have it so you need to find those who do to help you get through it - Dealing with ups and downs of sales is a grind at times -First 6 months is TOUGH because you don't know anything so needing to lean on others more can be difficult

4. 5.0

Best Sales Job

Sep 13, 2021 - Assistant Vice President in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great training and GREAT pay. You get back what you put into the job. Senior leaders make themselves available, and are truly interested in each individual's goals. I have never made money like this so fast! I know there are some negative reviews but trust me when I say that these are coming from people who should never be in sales as they do not possess the right mindset. However, if you are motivated to make money, can follow directions, and can stay positive you will WIN with Royal United Mortgage. I also love their charity initiatives. They help the local community and more. I am a minority woman and can attest to the inclusiveness, and social awareness promoted in this very healthy sales environment.

Cons

Truthfully, the first 6 months of being a licensed loan advisor can be challenging because there is so much to learn. However, the training and resources provided by the company will see any dedicated employee get to 6 figures FAST!

5. 2.0

Treats you like dirt.

Aug 4, 2021 - Licensed Mortgage Loan Originator in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Uncapped earning potential. Opportunity for growth. Doesn’t require you have previous mortgage knowledge/experience to start. Trains you to get licensed and helps pay for it.

Cons

In my experience they treat the sales people like you’re lazy and you are dirt. Which is extra-discouraging because the job itself is very mentally draining. Ramp-up to actually start earning good money is long, like 6 months. Management claims hours are flexible, and capped, but they will change your schedule same-day, without prior notice, and require you to be available. Daily “Negative Drivers” mean that if you do not hit key performance indicators within the first three hours of your shift, you must surrender your personal cellphone (hope you don’t have kids or a spouse) and/or you have to clock out for a mandatory 2 hour lunch (hope you live close, or are fine wasting time waiting to return to work). If you aren’t producing results, management puts the blame on you. Additional training is provided, but it is training from people who have not been selling on the phones in years, and therefore my manager said was “pointless” when I asked for additional sales training. They praise a work-life balance, but expect you to be available outside of your shift and on your days off. People form many “personal relationships” *wink wink* with other employees, both managers and subordinates, which creates a ton of unnecessary workplace drama that makes things more toxic.

3 people found this review helpful

Royal United Mortgage Response

One of the things that our leaders take very seriously is doing everything they can to ensure the success of their team members. Considering the time and cost associated with training someone in a highly regulated industry, not to mention that the majority of our team members don't come from a sales background, the LAST thing that we want to do is have someone leave knowing that we didn't do EVERYTHING we could to help them be more successful. While, yes, we are all adults, and would hope that people recognize that distractions such as being on the internet, and playing games on devices typically doesn't result in improving performance there are times when requesting people to put their cell phones in a basket in their pod is really the last resort. The same applies to instances where someone isn't having success in the morning, maybe they need a brain break so as not to continue with a negative mindset. Hence suggesting a longer lunch or going to the gym for a couple hours. Therefore, while it might not seem like it, If our leaders didn't suggest these things and let people continue down the same path, could they look in the mirror and know that they did everything they could to put that team member in the best possible position? The answer is no.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Amazing Opportunity, Great Culture

Sep 8, 2021 - Operations in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Notices hard working people and promote within. Been promoted 3 times within 5 years Always willing to invest in their employees. Understands family comes first and flexible Training is great and management is always available Competitive and fun work environment AMAZING CULTURE and welcoming environment

Cons

Some decision are made without some keys departments. I dont think leadership needs to do what people in production is saying but knowing leadership took what was said into consideration would be helpful in making decisions that can affect the department.

7. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Stressful.

Oct 13, 2021 - Mortgage Loan Officer in Schaumburg, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers. I really did enjoy the experience of working with the people I worked with.

Cons

Very intense sales goals and lots of cold calling. The leads were obtained from different sources and consisted of people who wanted to obtain information about home loans. We obtained their contact information and called them, and called them, and called them. This is the same way a lot of mortgage companies do it and it felt wrong to be overwhelming a customer on the other end with phone calls they really didn't ask for. All in all, it was not at all what I expected. I wanted to change people's lives, but instead it felt like hounding someone who wasn't interested from the beginning.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

The last job I will ever have/want

Sep 2, 2021 - Loan Advisor in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am able to control what I make and the commission structure is the best of any company I've ever worked for! The training is so far above any company I have known and it doesn't stop. It is consistent because they truly want to give you all the tools you need to be successful. Everyone is here for you and willing to give you their time. Great team work and they find ways to make if fun! I love my job!

Cons

Expect to work hard if you want success.

9. 4.0

Standard mortgage company

Oct 8, 2021 - Loan Officer in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Base + Commission structure. Opportunity for leadership.

Cons

Micromanaging and unrealistic sales quotas usually set

Royal United Mortgage Response

Interestingly the pro's and con's on this review are directly related and extremely dependent on one another, meaning you can't take advantage of our great compensation plans with performance. At Royal United we are extremely transparent that within our environment there is a high degree of accountability (micromanagement). That being said, we believe that this is a good thing and take the approach that no one goes into a sales role not wanting to perform and achieve their financial goals. In addition, our job as leaders is to not only do everything we can to ensure that our team members reach their goals but more importantly to understand WHY those goals are important to you. So yes, as in most sales roles, there are certain performance metrics to hit. And yes, our leaders spend time daily looking at activity, performing audits and providing real time feedback. I think that where the disconnect lies here is the mindset on WHY we are doing this; measuring results and helping people improve isn't a negative it's a positive. And call it what you want (micromanagement, accountability or leadership) but those actions typically lead to an end result of being able to increase your base salary, taking home bigger bonus checks and achieving what you set out to do in the first place.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Rum is not a job, it’s a way of life

Aug 25, 2021 - Assistant Vice President
      Business Outlook

Pros

The organization has strong leadership from the CEO/CFO to the VP’s, down to the Director level. All of whom were home grown and have been with the company for years. Their business knowledge and desire for development within their teams are a rare combination. Specifically at the VP level. If you want to be developed, get with these leaders. There’s no way around it - working at RUM is a way of life. Whether it’s through community outreach, company sponsored events, or just good old fashioned internal competitive banter; RUM boasts a strong, braggadocios internal culture that can be desirable for anyone with a Type A personality. After being named one of Indy’s top work places for over a decade, the company not only believes it’s elite but it holds every employee to that standard. Expectations are extremely high and you’ll be constantly pushed, poked, and prodded about meeting them. There’s always a success to be highlighted and duplicated. Conversely, there’s always something (or someone) to be blamed when something goes awry. Accountability is the name of the game here. And nobody is above it. The business model calls for a highly energetic and productive work environment that utilizes the aforementioned company culture as a standard bearer for the constant expectation of more. If you’re looking for a traditional 9-5, this isn’t for you. Early mornings, late nights, weekends, action plans, follow ups, business reviews, etc…they’re all a part of the ongoing grind. Those that meet the challenge and accept RUM as a way of life, tend to excel. Most find themselves on their way to a legit (and potentially lucrative) career path.

Cons

Not for the faint of heart. Those that don’t like the constant push and struggle with work-life balance tend to leave to do something easier.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 429 Reviews