Cover image for Royal United Mortgage

Finance

2m

a

Commercial Customer Service Representative

What’s the best way to have a lack of compensation and incentive conversation in your department? I went above and beyond for years doing extra work, organizations etc and nothing has been reflected in pay. I thought my 5 year was going to finally show something but it did not. I’ve inquired about pay but it’s gotten nowhere.

12 Comments

Finance

139K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/finance/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Royal United Mortgage~235021
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Royal United Mortgage? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Royal United Mortgage employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great training to get you started and then it is all about making a plan and sticking to it.(in 64 reviews)
  • "Great people to work with(in 29 reviews)
  • "They will provide you with a great training program to get you up and running to be a Loan Advisor.(in 22 reviews)
  • "Liking who you work with and when career growth/ideas are encouraged, will equal a great culture that makes you want to stay(in 19 reviews)
  • "The benefits here are great, I came from a full time job of ten years, and had no benefits, here, we have fantastic benefits.(in 18 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Royal United Mortgage and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year
    Featured Review

Awarding Career

Jan 23, 2023 - Apprentice in Indianapolis, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Royal United Mortgage is an incredible company that invests deeply into it's employees! You are put through a paid federal training program and paired with the company's top lenders at the very beginning before you are a loan advisor on your own to guarantee your future success. One of the things I love most about working here is that it's not just another job, it;s truly a career. I went into this hoping for a start to a new career to hit the ground running and achieve as much success as I put in and I got just that. From the very beginning, you are surrounded by resources that will help push you toward your goals. You are in a collaborative environment that celebrates each other's wins while also providing fun competition. You are also given opportunities to advance into leadership as this company also hires internally. I can without a doubt, see myself retiring here!

Cons

Do not get easily discouraged! You will need to put in the hours to pass your federal licensing exam! You also need to have a strong mindset and be willing to have a perspective check each day to ensure you are not carrying any negative energy into your next conversation. You will be speaking with several clients each day so it is vital to stay focused on having a positive upbeat energy to win your day and help transform the lives of your clients in need!

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Fun, Energetic, Competative

Dec 18, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Every day there is something new and challenging Very accountable and competitive environment where everyone wants everyone to succeed. Very team oriented and a work hard play hard type of environment Growth opportunities Compensation Plan Always looking for ways to get better Very training focused

Cons

Nothing that comes to me. I love the place where I work!

3. Join the Royal United Mortgage team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Stay away

Jan 25, 2023 - Loan Officer in Schaumburg, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good Benefits, nice gear and great training

Cons

Zero work life balance - work weekends. 8 hours on the week days and 5 on the weekend. The only "accountability" at this company is scheduled based which demoralizes everyone. Ex you don't have a Tuesday submission you have to work 12pm-9pm on Wednesday. Telemarketing job - they will say it isn't but you make 300+ calls a day. That's telemarketing. One trick pony company - its either a cash out refinance or a purchase, nothing else. Track your social media (linkedin, indeed etc) to see if you are updating your resume to find a better job and confront you about it so they can fire you or make you resign. Once the interest rates rose all of the tenured leaders started to point fingers and created a terrible work environment.

Royal United Mortgage Response

We recently released a podcast called "Inside Royal United," (link at the end of the comments) and in our latest episode, "What it takes to win," we talk a lot about the fact that the key to being successful in ANY role is often doing the things that other people aren't willing to do. Think about it, the greatest players in sports are often the ones who are the first to show up for practice and the last to leave. They get up early to watch film, they study, they work everyday to perfect their craft, they make themselves available to coaches, and they push themselves to get better. And while Royal United certainly isn't a professional sports team, the attributes of success here are the same. Why work outside the traditional 9-5 and on the weekends? Well it's because that's when the majority of customers are home, and when the customers are people who work, that's what is necessary if someone wants to reach them. As it relates to this reviewer comparing what we do to a "telemarketing company," the nature of telemarketing is making calls that are unsolicited. In our environment the calls that we make to potential clients are sent to us through lead aggregators after someone has gone online to inquire about improving their financial situation. We never make calls to anyone who hasn't gone through that process. On the flip side, there is some truth in that some days, yes, a Loan Advisor might dial the phone 300+ times. However, that is also the nature of sales and those dials are dramatically reduced by following our process and knowing what to say when we get someone on the phone. There are two quotes from our latest podcast (one from our CEO and one from our EVP of Sales) that really touch on what this review boils down to which are: 1. “What we do is hard. It's not easy. If it was, everybody would do it. And it takes time to get there. And so many people just give up too soon, or they said they wanted it, but their actions don't match up with their words and they're really not willing to do what others are not willing to do. They're not willing to put in that hard work to be number one.” – Gabe Allen 2. “Winning isn't easy and not everyone wins, but the pursuit of that is what we're all about and that's why we do what we do.” – Shawn Greve We encourage you to learn more about Royal United, who we are, what we do, why we do it and stories from real people on our team through our podcast "Inside Royal United. " We can found through this link, https://link.chtbl.com/yn2nYYDa, or on any streaming service.

5. 4.0
    Former Employee

Not the best not the worst

Jan 4, 2023 - Loan Advisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited commission if you are in a good market can be very lucrative

Cons

Weekends are required Work/life balance

Royal United Mortgage Response

I can appreciate why some might look at working weekends as a "con," and as it relates to work/life balance, know that we want every team member to have the ability to do the things that are important to them OUTSIDE of work while being successful AT work. In that vain we cap our team's total hours to either 40 or 45 (you choose), and are in the process of defining a plan where Advisors create a 30 day work schedule (in advance) to ensure that they know when they are working well ahead of time. That being said, weekend shifts will still be a part of most people's scheduling plan as the contact rates are higher when people are home. In fact in a study done by Lending Tree only a small fraction of borrowers said that they wanted to be contacted Monday - Friday between the hours of 8-5. Meaning that most preferred being contacted outside of their own traditional work hours . Therefore in order to serve the customer the most successful Advisors create a schedule that includes some nights and weekends. Hopefully this explains the "why" behind our scheduling process.

6. 5.0
    Former Employee

Dec 8, 2022 - Project Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are great people

Cons

The pay here isn't great

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Love this place

Nov 6, 2022 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

I used to work in collections prior to this, and everywhere I went it was the exact same. They just treated you as a body and didn't appreciate you. So I figured when I came here it was going to be pretty much the same but boy was I completely wrong. When I was an apprentice my boss at the time took the time to get to know me as a person. There was a personal issue I had with my family and instead of forcing me to work through that like most places do, I was told to go home and take time off so I could take care of it. Along my time here there have been numerous instances where I was shown that I was appreciated and valued. I have had the chance to get to know a lot of supervisors, upper management and even got to meet the CEO. No matter what title they hold they are always willing to help me and my office. This place is so committed to your success. Senior Management at my office offered and followed through with doing a one on one with me every week so I could get better at my process. People in other offices have called me at 9pm to assist me with a potential client. I can literally email anyone in the company to pick their brain and they always answer me. Or I can call directors and they help me. No questions asked. No matter what time or day it is, everyone wants you to get better and grow. This is a wonderful place. Leadership cares about every single person who works here.

Cons

It is a grind. Sometimes you may call about a 1000 times and talk to three people. Wish there was a more work/life balance. I love my clients, I just wish there was a better way to get everything done and not work 6 days a week. Sometimes that can lead to burnout.

Thanks for your review!

8. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Helped Me Achieve Financial Freedom and Professional Growth!

Oct 27, 2022 - Loan Advisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent benefits, bonus structure, culture, and process. This company is fully invested in helping YOU achieve the professional growth and success YOU want. The pay scale is competitive and merit based, meaning you are in charge of how much you make. They give ample opportunity for growth and career advancement.

Cons

It is a sales position, so hours can be odd at times. You are working off the client's schedule, which means in order to be the very best, you need to make yourself available. Again, being a sales position, the grind is real and never really stops. You need to have strong personal time management and boundaries to ensure you maintain a decent work/life balance.

9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Strong enough to get paid?

Nov 11, 2022 - Team Leader of Lending in Indianapolis, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work with the best in the business, and become a skilled professional.

Cons

Lack of diversity in leadership, and some favoritism.

Royal United Mortgage Response

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback. I agree that we work with some amazing people and the training that Royal United provides absolutely lends itself to becoming not only a great Loan Advisor, but development from a personal growth side as well. In terms of your advice, I am wondering if you'd feel comfortable in sharing your thoughts on how we can improve our process for advancing people into leadership roles. Knowing that even with a leadership title, we never come into the role having it "all figured out" we try to support that development through ongoing training, mentorship and 1/1's with Sr. Leaders. All of that being said, we don't have all the answers when it comes to the perfect way to get someone ready to take on a new role and would welcome your specific suggestions. Pop down to my office anytime! Julie

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best place to be for anyone that has a desire to improve their life and the lives of others

Oct 26, 2022 - Loan Advisor in Schaumburg, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment. The people who work here really are all on the same page in helping other people achieve their goals. Great Training. From day one to day one thousand your are learning and being coached up by people with experience in the job. There is a tremendous amount of support and leadership in the company so even though I was not very experienced, I was confident that I could do this job because of the quality of training and opportunities for growth here.

Cons

Can be exhausting mentally and competition is fierce.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee

sales manager salary

Oct 24, 2022 - Sales Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

good work hours, yes, yes, yes, yes

Cons

not remote, not remote not remote note remote note remote

Viewing 1 - 10 of 530 Reviews
</>Embed

Royal United Mortgage Reviews FAQs

Royal United Mortgage has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 532 reviews left anonymously by employees. 77% of employees would recommend working at Royal United Mortgage to a friend and 71% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Royal United Mortgage employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Royal United Mortgage. This rating has improved by 3% over the last 12 months.

77% of Royal United Mortgage employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Royal United Mortgage 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 4.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Royal United Mortgage to be benefits, culture, career development and the cons to be work life balance, management.

Popular Careers with Royal United Mortgage Job Seekers